canoe flips on wivenhoe

justham

just found this on courier mail website.
/>http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/mates-go-missing-on-fishing-trip-on-lake-wivenhoe/story-e6freoof-1225879706515

One found safe and the other still missing. Another good reason to always wear a pfd.

The man they cant find was wearing steel cap boots, and was seen struggling to get them off before he went under.

This is a massive wake up call to me, as I wear my boots in the boat in winter to keep my feet warm and dry... Not any more! horriable way to learn a lesson.

ellicat wrote:

werewolf wrote:
was having a BBQ out there yesterday. It was windy as. Hope they still find the other guy alive somehow

For some reason I thought of you and Romeo when I heard :unsure: ....glad to see you posting :cheer:

Cheers Ellicat. The story hit a nerve with me as I have mucked about on the water out there a lot and know how hairy it can get. Always felt like a bit of a wuss always wearing my PDF on a dam, but stories like this remind everyone why there are essential. :dry:

yeps a sad thing to happen .

i always wear thongs on the boat or canoe ,they come off real easy in the water .

always take life jackets out with us on the canoe too ,better to be safe.

def not a wuss wearing ya PDF werewolf ,i make the kids wear life jackets in the canoe .even if we are in knee deep water .

u can still flip ,fall out bump ya head and be knocked out and drown in knee deep water .

Bloody sad news, Fingers crossed they find him alive. I hope this can give us all a wake up call and make sure we all take the precautions needed, Im sure we all get a little relaxed some times, goes to show how easly these things can happen. Tight lines and be safe everyone.

Heard from son in law who is in SES.

They still havent found missing person or the sunken canoe.

SES from all surrounding areas have been called in to conduct a shoreline search looking for disturbed ground.

The boat ramp is still closed off but Hamon cove is open.

Cheers

Ray

wow I would have thought they should have at least found the missing person by now. Strange. The batteries must have been bolted down to the canoe to sink it I would think. You would think that the body if the case should have come to the surface by now. Maybe he did get to shore. Just a tragic waste of life. So easily avoided with a PFD. I know I have been using my inflatable PFD in the boat since then. Cheers Ted

Complacency is a terrible thing! It gets bloody hot out in the yak in summer and you get rugged up with all these heavy cloths in winter....its easy to just think..aaagh she be right.

For the yak I purchased one of these specific fishing PFD's that house all my leader, scissors, a few jig heads...plus I attached a strobe light, whistle and my marine hand held radio, now its kinda like a motorcycle helmet, you wouldn't get on a bike without one....get one and use it chaps.

My heart goes out to this chaps family...

:(

crazywalrus wrote:

wow I would have thought they should have at least found the missing person by now. Strange. The batteries must have been bolted down to the canoe to sink it I would think. You would think that the body if the case should have come to the surface by now. Maybe he did get to shore. Just a tragic waste of life. So easily avoided with a PFD. I know I have been using my inflatable PFD in the boat since then. Cheers Ted

reading in QT yesterday,from advice given by "medical experts" police today are going to give a concerted effort with regards to recovering the missing man.

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Gazza wrote:
on a similar note never wear wadders when fishing off the rocks or you'll end up a statistic if washed off

lost a mate years ago (good swimmer too) wadders filled with water bingo no chance

cheers Gaz

couple of hardened wader fishos told me, always carry a knife..

"why's that I ask"

Coz when you go under and they fill up like a balloon you can cut em off.

cheers

personally,my way of thinking is..if I was washed off rocks and the water was buffeting me in and out of the rocks I`d rather be instantly trying to save myself...not fiddling around for a knife, slicing through wader straps and trying to get out of the pants of death,by which time I would really be in non returnable strife

cheers

Archived