how to preserve hardbodies

Do$tylz

Best advise straight up, replace the cheap parts for better quality parts! trebles etc. Apart from that, gentle wash down in fresh water. I clean all my lures after using in salt water this way, and they last a lot longer!

ash is spot on there... each trip out theres 3 of us so we try a fair few different lures throughout the day so when we change lures we put the used ones in a small container (away from the un-used ones) and give them a gentle rinse in fresh water and then hang them out to dry

Good advice - wash them in fresh, soak for a few minutes. Chuck em back in the tackle box.

When ever I change lures, I cut the line above the loop knot, leaving the knot on the lure. Then when I get home I know I need to wash every lure with line still on it!

If you must spray them with something, and I would advise not to, there are various schools of thought.

WD40 is supposedly fishoil based and some swear by it, spray on cooking oil might be an option. But it is all definately flavour. Maybe have a look at ultrabite or similar and see if it has a listed oil base!

Personally If I was worried I'd store them in a box with some silica gel to kept moisture away after rinsing and pat drying.

Has anyone heard of lure mates?

They are a lure hook protecter made of plastic tubing with a small zinc anode inserted in the centre.

I picked some up at the tinney and tackle show a few years ago.

I have had no problems with rusted hooks since I started using them.

Another big bonus is that they prevent the lures becoming tangled if ypu keep them all in the same box.

I picked up a couple more packets of them on ebay so hopefully the packets will have the makers details on them.

They used to be available at Tingalpa tackleworld but they havent stocked them for a couple of years.

Ray

Archived