fishing sunnies, your thoughts and opinions please

thriller

I went to some sunglasses warehouse and picked up a set of polarised that fit my head really well for 30$. there is one somewhere on gympie road. Considering the salt and muck they deal with they have lasted well in the 9 or so months i have had them. And i dont care if i lose them either

i destroy any sunnglass in no time flat it matters not whether they are quality or not i kill them just the same so now i just keep buying the same pair from takle world they fit quite comfy and are good on the bright days they are a little dark on a dull day but i have lots of spares and this alone pays off for me as i regually leave home with multiple pairs .so far ive mowed them hedged them stood on a few snapped alot of arms off watched a couple sink out of sight and on at least half a dzen ocasions theyve prevented serious eye injury mostly from stones and branches when gardening

go the cheapies

jasonB)

I used to always buy Mako Warriors with the polarised amber glass lenses. They have exceptional clarity for fishing, but the glass lenses are heavier than acrylic lenses. I used to get them through Motackle for around $160 but I haven't bought any recently. Gone to cheapies as I keep losing them.

A lot of billfishermen swear by Spotters but I can't vouch for them as I've never owned a pair.

Also worth a mention, I've got a pair of Oakley South Pacifics, about 160 for a non polarised pair. (bit more for polarised)

The best thing about them is there's no metal in them, they just pop together. I've worn them every day for the past 2 years and they cop a flogging. As a chippy they doubled as great safety glasses, and cover more of your face than regular sunnies. I've hit my head on scaffolding with them taking the brunt and they've survived. I've lost them out the window doing 100+ km on the highway. Found them in pieces and just popped them back together - lenses and everything.

Best pair of sunglasses I've ever owned, hands down

Jono

i have some fuglies and i have never been completely happy with them. its the way they fit, just not my style. i just received 2 pairs of flying fisherman (gift from my wife) and they are awesome, very comfortable, when i go fishing i will give them a good going over and report back on them

cheers

rob

I've got a pair of Spotters and they're pretty good :) paid a good sum for them so would expect it, but I had to comprimise with fit as I know its tough to find a good pair of sunnies to fit an asian face... lack of nose bridge poses a challenge for sunnies :P

but... at the SOO I got to try on a few Flying Fisherman sunnies as I was talking to the guy who brought them along... and if only I had the cash, or they had an eftpos machine there I would have bought a pair right there and then. Tested side by side, my Spotters had the same abilities to look through the water as the Flying Fisherman. Even better.. they fit my face comfortably and felt significantly lighter.. maybe a 3rd??

So.. I'd recommend a pair of them if you can find some to try out... they were also almost a 3rd of the price of what I paid for my Spotters.

Maui Jim sports are REALLY good but a bit pricey. I was used to wearing cheapies and then the missus gave me a pair, I could hardly tell i was wearing them they were so light. But as is with all my sunnies I usually start wearing them to work where they get wrecked. Would love another pair though.

Brad

Thriller,

You can check out the range of Flying Fisherman Polarised sunglasses on our website www.ians.net.au , We have polarised sunglasses from $45 up to $220 for the top of the line glass lense models also our RhinoLense polycarbonate lense series are really good value at $130.

Flying Fisherman have been making polarised sunglasses for 25 years ! and are designed by fishermen for fishermen.

Ian - Flying Fisherman

In my opinion the glass lensed spotters are second to none and if your willing to part with the coin you wont be dissapointed, i have had a pair for two years and i am very rough on my sunnys and not a scratch on the lenses yet. Stay away from the uglyfish they scratch at the drop of a hat i know this because i have owned a pair also :pinch: .

I used to always buy $20 servo polarised glasses as I was rough as guts on them.

However when Flying Fishermen came on board as a site sponsor I got myself a pair of their mid range rhino lenses. For the price I was pretty amazed. It really woke me up to how bad the super cheapies are. Granted you get what you pay for and I never expected much from the servo ones. But for not a hell of a lot more, the Rhino lenses were infinetly better for viewing into the water.

Angus

I suffered from headaches each time I went fishing so I got a pair of prescription sunnies but they never changed anything. I rang Stalker sunglass makers in sydney and told them my problem, they explained to me by wearing dark sunglasses you allow the pupils to get bigger which in turn lets in more light. They said what I need was amber sunnies with mirror front for fresh water and blue tinge sunnies with mirror front for saltwater. Mirror front reflects most of the sun away so you dont need realy dark glasses, and guess what it worked and I have had the same pair for about 8 years. I only use them for fishing, never put them down on thier lenses and return them to thier case as soon as finished with them. As I got them from the factory at the time they were just over a $1oo instead of over $200 but best money I have ever spent.

Dino

I am very happy with the flying fisherman ones that I won at the SOO they are very comfortable and extremely important to me do not interfere with my behind the ear type hearing aids.

Yes I would definatly buy another pair they are far superior to raybans and oakleys that I have also owned previously

I lost a hearing aid because of a pair of servo sunnies that used to flick the hearing aid off when I removed the sunnies.

Re the fuglies mine were very comfortable but I found that sunburn cream attacks the foam cushioning.

Cheers

Ray

Archived