toowong boat club 6/5/07

jimbell

Mate and i went out determined to catch our first bull shark.

After setting up our rigs we wondered down to the ramp and threw our lines in. Within five minutes i have a few hits then bang the drag was off, were using pillies on gang hooks. No luck there.

Then my mate had a massive hit on his and it was taking line off him. 20 pound line. however no luc there again. when we brouht the line in the was a massive indentation in the wire trace....?????

after a few more smaller hits we decided to call it quits as i have that flu that seems to be going around the traps.

All in all one catfish and that was all ahe wrote.

Sounds similar to an evening I had a few nights earlier.

I got desperate last Wednesday night for some shark action down the fig tree pocket boat ramp, not too far from the toowong boat club I don't think?

Lately haven't had much luck catching any livies, not even catfish. So I decided to take my pet Bream (from my fish tank) down to the ramp and let him go for a swim on the leash.

Watching my mate try and cast his Alvey is almost worth the trip. So I went over to give him a hand, about 15 metres from where my rods were in the front of the ute, then I see something fairly large break the surface and do a roll in the vicinity of my pet, ran back to the rod and wham it went off.. I had a couple of good runs but the toothy critter kept spitting the hook..

and that's the last time i take my mates advice to use 'black magic' hooks for sharks. So I went back to 6/0 penn's that I normally use but couldn't get a bite after that.

RIP Jimmy the Bream.

Went back Thursday night and all I caught was this measely thumb fish (pic below). [img size=267]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/thumbfish.jpg

post-958-144598414029_thumb.jpg

We were using 6/0 gang hooks with frozen pilchards.....as our live bait mission didn't work.

I used the rig you recommended Angus, with a really big snapper lead and had to make do with a 20 inch wire trace as I didn't trust myself to make my own longer one. Would we be better off using those 8/0 round hooks you were talking about to ensure more hook-ups?

Archived