Kev,

Section 268(3) of the TORUM Road Rules Regs 1999 covers it and states

(3) A person must not travel in or on a motor vehicle with any

part of the person’s body outside a window or door of the

vehicle, unless the person is the driver of the vehicle and is

giving a hand signal—

(a) for changing direction to the right in accordance with

section 50; or

(B) for stopping or slowing in accordance with section 55.

Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

And Section 268(4)

(4) The driver of a motor vehicle (except a bus) must not drive

with a passenger if any part of the passenger’s body is outside

a window or door of the vehicle.

Now 'outside' can be interpreted in many ways depending on lots of things (attitude) but does outside mean outside the window frame, does it mean outside the external line of the vehicle? Load projections are measured as overhang from the external line of the vehicle, so who knows???

Havent written one for a while but it used to be $30 for the passanger under section (3) and $60 for the driver under section (4) if required :-)

Now I think they are $40 and $80

Unfortunately having driven a Val for the last 12 yrs it's the only way I know how.....Used to get mighty cold in the dead of winter back in the UK.....No heater either as that was weight. And it did have manual discs (servo was weight), trying to stop with 175s on the front and 295s on the back was always marginal, just used to leave a gap....Can't do that over here as drivers seem to have an all consuming need to fill any available space on the road in front of a car....Hmmm! Perhaps THAT'S why there are so many fender benders......:whistle:

Kev,

Section 268(3) of the TORUM Road Rules Regs 1999 covers it and states

(3) A person must not travel in or on a motor vehicle with any

part of the person’s body outside a window or door of the

vehicle, unless the person is the driver of the vehicle and is

giving a hand signal—

(a) for changing direction to the right in accordance with

section 50; or

(B) for stopping or slowing in accordance with section 55.

And Section 268(4)

(4) The driver of a motor vehicle (except a bus) must not drive

with a passenger if any part of the passenger’s body is outside

a window or door of the vehicle.

Now 'outside' can be interpreted in many ways depending on lots of things (attitude) but does outside mean outside the window frame, does it mean outside the external line of the vehicle? Load projections are measured as overhang from the external line of the vehicle, so who knows???

Havent written one for a while but it used to be $30 for the passanger under section (3) and $60 for the driver under section (4) if required :-)

Now I think they are $40 and $80

Booty,

I knew it... you are a traffic nazi. I would have just said yes it's an offence and left it at that!!! lol

:P :P :P

I got a question for the traffic nazi

Whats the allowable, if any, intoxication level for a pillion passenger on a motorbike? And how old does Max need to be to ride on my bike. He has just turned 4............months :whistle:

Dont know if theres a ticket for kids on pillions but there should be :(

Wasn't there something about the arm on the window sill on current affair the other night. Something about a new way to get more coin off us, a camera that has a six in one effect. Apparently the one camera can book you for six different driving offences, speeding, arm on the window sill, expired rego, I can't remember the rest and don't know how true it is or where they are located, just another revenue raiser :angry:

Wasn't there something about the arm on the window sill on current affair the other night. Something about a new way to get more coin off us, a camera that has a six in one effect. Apparently the one camera can book you for six different driving offences, speeding, arm on the window sill, expired rego, I can't remember the rest and don't know how true it is or where they are located, just another revenue raiser :angry:

Keen as... there is an argument there to say it is revenue raising, bear in mind though that the revenue from all traffic infringements goes straight to the coffers of the State Government and not to the QPS. So the people sending the letters and photos in the mail are just doing there job.

Not withstanding the lighter offences that camera picks up... and I didn't see the report, the red light offences, seat belt and speeding offences are LEOs (Life Endangering Offences) and the Commissioner has directed that there be nil discretion re those offences. Also with the expired rego if it's more than 28 days expired the vehicle is unregistered and uninsured... that means the poor family that loses a family member in an accident with one of these people doesn't ge to sue third party insurance, that means they sue the nominal defendant (State Government) and guess where that money comes from... our taxes.

I got a bit into that so I'm sorry if it upsets people but a lot of good coppers get a raw deal for a lot of things they are lawfully required to do, such as comply with the Commissioners Directions.

Also if you are doing the right thing then you have nothing to worry about.

Brett

Kev,

Unfortunately the reason it is a fine is because there are plenty of fools out there that do just more than rest there arm on the window... I never have and never will give someone a ticket for that. However people have lost hands, arms and heads from oncoming vehicles. I was also in a accident in 97 where the driver had his arm resting on the window when we hit a truck head-on, he lost his arm and unfortunately his life. It's a harsh reality but limbs do get ripped off from that very inocuos action.

Brett

Keen as... there is an argument there to say it is revenue raising, bear in mind though that the revenue from all traffic infringements goes straight to the coffers of the State Government and not to the QPS. So the people sending the letters and photos in the mail are just doing there job.

Not withstanding the lighter offences that camera picks up... and I didn't see the report, the red light offences, seat belt and speeding offences are LEOs (Life Endangering Offences) and the Commissioner has directed that there be nil discretion re those offences. Also with the expired rego if it's more than 28 days expired the vehicle is unregistered and uninsured... that means the poor family that loses a family member in an accident with one of these people doesn't ge to sue third party insurance, that means they sue the nominal defendant (State Government) and guess where that money comes from... our taxes.

I got a bit into that so I'm sorry if it upsets people but a lot of good coppers get a raw deal for a lot of things they are lawfully required to do, such as comply with the Commissioners Directions.

Also if you are doing the right thing then you have nothing to worry about.

Brett

I say revenue raising from a tradesman point of view, we just seem to get more attention then oh lets say a cabby or truck driver that blindy cuts you off in peek hour :angry: . Also I heard on the grape vine (cops I know) that the tolerance won't be used with the camera, so currently its 10% ie. if you are doing 54km in a 50km zones you won't get booked but if you do 55km you will get booked and with the new camera setup if you do 51km in a 50km zone your F'd. And we all know how acurate speedometers are.

Depends on where you are with the the cabbies... generally they are hit with tickets quite regularly, especially in places like the City. I know what you mean with the cameras but that is again another direction from the Commissioner and it's all about kerbing the road toll... I'm not saying I agree with the changing of the 10% tolerance as it is the Australian Standard as I've been stung by a couple of cameras in the queens car doing what I thought was with in the accepted limits. I coffed up the fine and that was that, so don't think coppers don't get stung either.

I understand the safety implication, what I am not very fond of is the Nanny State attitude presuming to know what's good for ME because someone lower down the gene pool has been hurt. I risk cutting meself with a razor, will shaving be banned?

I have to agree some laws are only there to protect dip shits and its getting worse not just with traffic laws but everything we do

I don't really have an issue with this law as both your hands should be on the steering wheel whenever possible. I will admit that I am no saint and get lazy at times though.

A few years back doing some performance driving training we were shown the huge differrence between one and two hands on the wheel had in your ability to control the car at the limits. e.g. needing to take evasive action.

Archived