Nth Pine Dam 05/05/07

adventure_angler

Arrived at Forgans Cove at 4am and started the walk to our usual spot and started flicking some hard bodies round. Two mates started off with Jackalls and I started giving my new G-Vibes a go. Was very quiet for the first hour, with the only action being two hits on my gold G-Vibe. Once the sun started to come up and a bit of light was hitting the water surface the fog started to rise and the action really started. Mate started the tally off with a small 25cm fork bass. A few more bass were caught in the mid 30cm fork range before the real fun began. Retrieving a pearl / pink G-Vibe I jigged the lure off the bottom and got a nice hit. Put up a good fight, taking some line and I could feel the head shakes and tail kicks. Got it to the shore and found it to be a nice sized bass. Grabbed the camera and brag mat and took some pictures. Was hoping to crack the 50cm mark, but it came short at exactly 49cm to the fork. While I was taking some photos a mate got a nice hit and after stating the fight felt different to a bass brought it in and it was a nice yellowbelly. Measured it on the brag mat and it went 49.5cm fork. Next cast and my mate was on again, and caught himself another nice yellowbelly. It was 49cm fork, but had more depth to its body. Had a few double hook-ups including when my mate got the yellowbelly and my other friend brought in a 35cm fork bass. Also had a triple hook-up and we all brought in 30-40cm bass.

Continued fishing in the same spot and my other friend got himself his first yellowbelly for the day which took the lure just metres from the bank, under a snag. He ended up getting another yellowbelly about an hour later. Throughout this time we were continually catching and releasing smaller bass. The yellowbelly were all caught on Jackalls and bass were going for Jackalls and G-Vibes in all colours.

Things began to slow down as the temperature rose until I hooked another bass which went 44cm to the fork. One thing we noted was these bass put up great fights for their size, at one stage a mate who has caught his fair share of 50+ bass thought he had another and it went low 40’s. Yellowbelly seemed to feel heavier on the line, but less energetic. Largest bass for the day were my 49cm and 44cm fork lengths, and all yellows were in the 45-50cm range.

While fishing we saw a large lungfish cruising and splashing around on the surface which would have been easily 4-5 feet long. I also caught a turtle which added to the mixed bag for the morning.

Ended up being a great morning at North Pine Dam, well worth the early start.

Total Tally:

Nelson: 7 bass, 1 turtle.

Andrew: 6 bass, 2 yellows.

Johnnie: 11 bass, 2 yellows.

My bad, after your comment Troy I went and checked the email i got forwarded to me and it says it had an older photo attached. :blush:

I had assumed it was one of the two johnnie caught on saturday. Guess I was just too occupied in looking at the photos rather than reading the text, haha.

So just to clarify... the photo of the yellow next to a backpack is infact an older photo from a previous trip.

-nelson-

Feral, its great having somewhere so close to fish. I can get up at 3 and be fishing at 4. The drives also a lot quicker at that time, barely see any cars and if you do its funny to think they are most likely heading home to bed after a big night and you are already awake and heading out for the day :P

-nelson-

Great report Nelson, and what an awesome session! I haven't been to NP since they closed McGavin's View to fishing, but it looks like I'll have to head over soon and flick some lures around with the kind of action you guys saw B). Seems to me it'd maybe present a good opportunity for a social occasion if we could get a few interested...sounds like Feral could be a starter, I'd certainly be up for an early morning flick'n'bbq. What d'you reckon?

Hey Nelson,

In the photo with you and the nearly 50 bass, the little knoll over you shoulder, is that basically where the car park is?

If so thats interesting as i usually walk along the bank opposite that and around the corner. Ill have to try that side next time.

Angus

Cliffy: McGavin's View isn't actually closed off to recreational fisherman. It was just thought that it was. There is a track specifically put near the car park for those wanting to walk down to the water.

Nelson: Good work on those fish anyway. I'm heading down to the dam on Sunday to find some new bank. I've covered everywhere from under the power lines right around to Forgan's, Bullocky's, McGavin's and right around past the weather station. I've only seem one Yellowbelly pulled from the dam and that was while I was fishing with Johnny a few weeks back.

Does anyone know of any other spots to try?

Troy

Cliffy wrote:

Thanks Troy, and all this time I thought Forgans and Bullocky were the only spots open...I like McGavins, might have to go over and flick some lures by the dam wall...

So did I, I thought you were limited to the areas adjacent to each picnic area.

Archived