Fish ID

RUSSIAN

They are a ripper species for a tank. Relentless in pursuit of their target. There is no size limit to them and they max out at about 35cm. They are tough as nails and when I had mine fed it primarily shrimp and gudgeons with the odd worm and gecko.

You lucked out this time on keeping an unknown fish though. Lesson learnt.

So enjoy them.

The following freshwater species have a take and possession limit of 20
/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_2994.htm

not sure on the legality of taking fish from a stream however I think it is pretty common place as long as they are with the legal bag and size limits.

I would suggest getting a larger take if you plan to keep them.

it is illegal to take any native species without a relevant recreational wildlife permit.

hey Katfish it is not actually illegal. A quick search I found this on the QDPI site.

Obtaining native fish fingerlings

Native fish are available from the following outlets:

Licensed fish hatcheries. Landholders can obtain native fish from licensed fish hatcheries. See the tables below for hatcheries in Queensland.

Local councils. Some local councils breed and supply native fish to local residents. Contact your local council for information.

The wild. If collecting native fish from the wild, ensure you comply with possession (bag) limits, use appropriate apparatus and collect the correct species. Details about fisheries legislation can be obtained from the Recreational fishing rules and regulations link below or from our Business Information Centre, phone 13 25 23.

/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_15762.htm

it is illegal to take any native species without a relevant recreational wildlife permit.

what?? thats a massive call, can you back it up.

where do i get these permits from? never ever herd of it. stocked impoundment permit i have.

i might need one of these permits you talk of catfish cause the way i understand the way you are saying it is that i cant gather native gudgions for feeder fish with out this permit. is this true?

is it just for live capture of native fish or all native fish dead or alive?

Great species for a big tank, I had a couple in a tank for years when I was a kid. We also had some in a tank at school and I'd sit in science class just watching them play around.

I love these fish, they are aggressive little things that will hit bass lures no problem.

I just wish they'd grow as big as bass, that would be some serious fun !!!

sorry, I should have been more specific.

you can only buy native wildlife from dealers; eg, pet shops for birds & fish, reptiles, & as crazywalrus said, hatcheries.

you cant take from the wild.

Mick, not sure about gudgeon. you can apply for a recreational wildlife permit at national parks & wildlife at Moggill koala hospital, priors pocket rd. I had a 5 year permit when I kept snakes.

you can only buy native wildlife from dealers; eg, pet shops for birds & fish, reptiles, & as crazywalrus said, hatcheries.

Mick, not sure about gudgeon. you can apply for a recreational wildlife permit at national parks & wildlife at Moggill koala hospital, priors pocket rd. I had a 5 year permit when I kept snakes.

sorry to be a pain here but I think if you read on you are allowed to collect them from the wild as long as you do not take fish below the size limit or take more than the possession limit

sorry to be a pain here but I think if you read on you are allowed to collect them from the wild as long as you do not take fish below the size limit or take more than the possession limit

sorry to say but i think i agree with crazywalrus

I am pretty sure the permit/license you speak of only relates to Reptiles, birds and Amphibians http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/ecoaccess/plants_and_animals/recreational_use_of_animals/keeping_wildlife_for_recreational_purposes.html

Marine Aquarium Fish Fishery

The Marine Aquarium Fish Fishery (fishery symbol A1 or A2) operates along the Queensland east coast from the tip of Cape York south to the New South Wales border.

The following high use regions within the fishery area are defined as special management areas with limited access, in order to protect stocks in the areas from localised depletion:

Cairns area Whitsundays area Keppel area Sunshine Coast area Moreton Bay areaRefer to the Fisheries Regulation 2008 for the exact boundaries of these areas.

Harvesters of aquarium fish in Queensland rely on air transportation to supply both domestic and global markets. Therefore Cairns and Brisbane (Moreton Bay), with their international airports, are the two major centres of aquarium fish harvesting in Queensland. Fishing effort in waters adjacent to these ports is much higher than in other areas. Further, the travelling time from land to reefs and other suitable harvesting locations is relatively shorter in these areas.

Main target species

There are more than 1500 species of marine fish that could be harvested from Queensland waters for private or public aquarium displays. While some species have a broad distribution, others are endemic to Queensland and nearby waters and are heavily sought after by the export market.

The fish families important to the aquarium trade include:

damselfish (family Pomacentridae) angelfish (family Pomacanthidae) wrasses (family Labridae) surgeonfish (family Acanthuridae) gobies (family Gobiidae). Gear

Aquarium fish are commercially harvested by hand with the use of hand-held apparatus, fishing lines (with a single barbless hook), cast nets, scoop nets, seine/barrier nets and/or herding devices (for example, a small rod). Divers in the commercial fishery are aided by self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (scuba) or surface-supplied air from hookah apparatus, which gives extended time underwater and increased mobility for fish harvesting.

A small number of collectors target much larger fish to supply public aquaria. Those operators need to obtain a general fisheries permit if they require the use of equipment other than that which is generally allowed or if they intend to operate outside prescribed size limits and/or species restrictions.

Recreational harvesters cannot legally use scuba or hookah apparatus, but may use a mask and snorkel.

You are allowed to collect Freshwater Natives for personal aquarium.

You can not collect and sell them.

Size and possession limits apply.

You can only use permitted freshwater fishing gear.

You can not collect protected or listed endangered species.

Here is the link to all relevent freshwater regulations http:/www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_2981.htm

Archived