Improving the tupperware - Potentially boring read

ryanyoung

G'day all,

After recently buying a Viking Espri, I thought I would take the time to add a couple of little improvements to aid in usability lol.

post-5695-144598571247_thumb.jpg

So the first thing I decided on, was a snap-mount rod-holder, which in theory was a very easy thing to install, however once I realised I had to drill a hole in the yak, it became quite a bit more daunting.....So a few beers later, I soon found that it was a very easy task to complete, so that was the first job down.

The next job was a bit trickier, mounting the Garmin 300C to the front hatch. Once again, this seemed to be a straight forward task, however after a bit of experimentation, I found that I needed the leg-room, and the sounder would really cut down on valuable real-estate. So, after a bit of direction from Tbox via the forum, I started looking at ideas abroad. The end product was a very cheep and easy way of doing it, whilst still retaining the leg-room!!!

post-5695-144598571257_thumb.jpg

The first step was to buy a replacement hatch at the front, as I didn't want to damage the original one, so a quick trip to BCF, and I had a cheep one ready to go. Installing the hatch was quite easy, as the screws lined up fine with the viking factory job. Whilst this was drying, I drilled some holes in the hatch cover, some corresponding holes in a bit of PVC guttering that I had cut down to size, and started putting it all together.

post-5695-144598571265_thumb.jpg

The battery for the sounder has been placed behind the front hatch, in a snug fitting tupperware container which is clear-sealed to the hull.

post-5695-144598571269_thumb.jpg

I was having some thoughts about transducer placement, and decided to give Tomca a call, as my experience wasn't quite up to speed. He gave me a great idea, which unfortunately, at this time I am unable to do lol, so I went with the clear-seal to keep it anchored to the hull, just forward of the centre hatch. This is a temporary fix at this stage, until I can get some more materials for Tomca's suggestion.

post-5695-144598571276_thumb.jpg

The final improve was a piece of pvc pipe for a nav light, which I have placed behind the seat. I plan on fitting a battery-powered led light to it.

post-5695-144598571282_thumb.jpg

Although lacking some of the tools, I managed to get by with a bit of improvisation and my trusty pocket knife ha ha ha!!!!

post-5695-144598571286_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598571295_thumb.jpg

The costs:

Viking Espri - $850.00 inc. snap-lock rod holder.

Replacement hatch - $13.00

Bostik Clear-seal - $8.00

Garmin 300C - $300.00

PVC Pipe - $3.00

The sounder was going to go on my boat that I sold last year, so the total cost of the improvements has come in at under $30.00, which is a saving of $70.00 on prices I was quoted. It looks a little rough, but considering the fact that I really aren't that handy with this sort of stuff, I think I have scraped by okay.

Sorry for boring you all with my enhancements to Hagar ha ha ha!!!!

Cheers, and thanks for reading,

Ryan.

Ha ha, Kreel has already christened it "Hagar", which I am running with lol!!!

I have taken it out a few times Den, have just come back from the Scarborough canals, big shows of fish, however very shy. I walked away with a donut, whilst Rod got two small breambos on the return troll.

The sounder sits just fine underway, and seems to be working well, with similar depths and shows to Rod's sounder.

When you are heading down to Wello next Den, I'll tag along if it's alright, although I have a pretty busy schedule over the next few months, there should be time for a fish here and there.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Unless you have put some extra strengthening under the rod holder mount I wouldn't troll with too much drag if I was you Ryan.

And give me a call if you can get out for a yak, I might be able to swing a sneaky session and call it "work" :whistle:

I have a light similar to this one on my pvc pole
/>http://www.divers-supply.com/Princeton-Tec-Aqua-Flare-P1630.aspx

Unless you have put some extra strengthening under the rod holder mount I wouldn't troll with too much drag if I was you Ryan.

And give me a call if you can get out for a yak, I might be able to swing a sneaky session and call it "work" :whistle:

Thanks for the advice Tom, I have been trolling light drag due to the odd snag, so that will work well! I will definitely give you a buzz when I am heading out next.

Thanks again for all the advice you have given me.

Cheers,

Ryan.

• 4 months later...
Hey mate, with the wet mount, where did you fit it in the espri/what did you use? I just used thick thong rubber, and off to the centre because of the channel down the middle of the hull

Hey Jords,

I put it just forward of the centre hatch, and used some rubber from Clarks Rubber. I got around the keel groove by putting clear-seal around the edges after the initial lot had dried. This seems to work well, as it doesn't leak at all.

Hope this helps,

Ryan.

Archived