Kayak Pelagics

Jords

Hey just wondering what rods/reels you guys use for chasing pelagics from yaks? i.e. what size rod/reel, what type?

Would a ABU 5600C4 be big enough?

and finally, when trolling pillies anyone tried this?
/>http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Citer-Trolling-Chin-Guard-3-x-9-0.aspx?pid=129745

Looks good, I'm thinking the 9/0 gang might be a bit excessive though

Cheers

Trolling, I now use 2x TLD 25s loaded with 30lbs mono on 5'6" rods.

Casting slugs I now use a Stella 5000w loaded on a 30lbs Gary Howard spin stick,

or a 20lbs daiwa rod with Shimano Fireblood loaded with 20lbs

or a 20lbs custom built g loomis with a 4000 sustain loaded with 20lbs.

I use a 6500c3 and a 4000 size spinning reel. I also have a cheaper Abu 5500bcx (I think) that was on special that I picked up for mackerel. I nailed my PB (also my one and only) spaniard, 115cm, on a 2500 Sol teamed up with a 1-5kg Heartland and 8lb line so they can be tamed on all kinds of gear.

For trolling pillies I use a pink skirt with a 4/0 hook and a stinger treble. Put some weight on the hook, cut a bean sinker in half a put it around the shank of the hook and then hammer it closed. Hook goes through the chin and out between the eyes and stinger down near it's tail. 90% of my mackerel are caught on the stinger treble so don't be afraid to make it a decent size one.

Get out to Palmy and bag yourself one, there are a few around at the moment.

Cheers, appreciate the help. Saw a penn 330 GTI combo on sale at bcf, was wondering if that'd be appropriate or if it was a bit too beefy for a yak (it's what i used to troll from in the boat in PNG).

Yeah i'm desperately wishing i could head down there for a crack at them, being on uni holidays and all, but the fact i written off my car in the last week makes it a bit hard to get there, palmy's a fair hike from samford. when does the mack run general end?

Archived