Lost the passion!

Troy_79

Hey guys, I was sitting around today bored as and was thinking what to do. Thats when i realised that ive lost the passion for fishing:ohmy: I cant give a reason for this really, maybe its the lack of fish ive caught in the past couple of years, Maybe work is a factor? I went on a houseboat 2 weeks ago down the pin and for some reason i wasnt fully into it i actually got bored:ohmy: But the fishing was terrible and only i only managed to catch 3 keepers in 3 days fishing for approx 28hrs all up which adds up to 1 fish every 9hrs 20min but i did manage to catch a few 10cm bream and whiting.

So what is the answer? I know i still love fishing, im going down to Mt Gambier on may 5 for a few days and my grandad is always telling me how good the fishing is down there. maybe that trip will rekindle my love for fishing.

If anyone has gone through this aswell please help me:)

Mate! I've got the opposite, wanna go fishing, but the new house won't let me! Saying that, I have been forced into a Charter and a AFO Wanderer Weekender to break up the DIY. My fishing has gone out of the window for the mo, but I'll be back at some point. Take a break and come back to it when you are ready, no one will think bad of you, Fishing Rocks. But Life Rules!!!!!!!

What you need is a fishing trip away with the boys on a weekend that is full of top matchups in the footy, combined with a few beers and a fire.

Maybe try fishing with someone different (not unusual though lol) in a different spot. Get a gig with tugger and I'm sure there'll be a rebirth. Get into one of the Wanderers weekends.

It's not until August but the AFO Winter Camp might be a good thing too. Pick up some tips along the way too.

I haven't had a fish this year either. Not that I'm bored by it but like Kev says - life rules (& the Force is broken)

What you need is a fishing trip away with the boys on a weekend that is full of top matchups in the footy, combined with a few beers and a fire.

Maybe try fishing with someone different (not unusual though lol) in a different spot. Get a gig with tugger and I'm sure there'll be a rebirth. Get into one of the Wanderers weekends.

It's not until August but the AFO Winter Camp might be a good thing too. Pick up some tips along the way too.

I haven't had a fish this year either. Not that I'm bored by it but like Kev says - life rules (& the Force is broken)

hmmm i might actually try to make an effort this year in attending some events that way i can fish different areas and might even learn a few new tricks.

Mate don't fret. I went through that phase of not wanting to go fishing once. From about 4.15pm to 4.20pm one Monday about four years ago.

No seriously, give it time. I have actually been there and the last thing you want to do is to try to rekindle it by forcing yourself to go out. I wouldn't be surprised if even the most crazy fisho gets the sh*&^ts sometimes. It'll come back. Trust me. Sometimes I wish it wouldn't...

regards jim

It happens to all of us, especially after a long spell of wasted trips, spending money on fishing gear that did you no good and a disappointing lack of quality fish in your normal waters. Motivation suffers due to lack of success and excitement.

There is a couple of things I do during these times.

First, have faith brother, hang in there your time will come. I believe that I love catching fish and not just fishing. Catching fish is the key. If I am not catching fish I question my ability and not my faith. This helps me to go harder. My last post on pikes I mentioned the Chilly determined approach. I knew I would get one, it was just a matter of when.

I force myself to mix it up. Sometimes I revert back to dead bait. In your case you may need to go to using live bait or lures. I also mix up the fresh and salt water. Try for carp or tiliapia in your local creek

Set goals, targets, study and plan for success. What is the season, what is my best chance of getting a target fish. If 20 cm bass in the Albert is the best bet and you catch a 24cm you have caught a ripper fish. If it is whiting time then set your sights on bagging out rather then big fish.

Get you lazy arse up early (4am) and have a go. But go after your best chance. Time the tides and the season.

Consider shark fishing,

I fished with Ray one and he quietly suffered for 6 sessions not catching a thing while I caught about 6 barra. He said nothing and I didn't realise. He must have suffered painfully but then he caught 6 barra in one session and 7 in the next.

Be smart, put in some head work and have faith!

It happens to all of us, especially after a long spell of wasted trips, spending money on fishing gear that did you no good and a disappointing lack of quality fish in your normal waters. Motivation suffers due to lack of success and excitement.

First, have faith brother, hang in there your time will come. I believe that I love catching fish and not just fishing. Catching fish is the key. If I am not catching fish I question my ability and not my faith. This helps me to go harder. My last post on pikes I mentioned the Chilly determined approach. I knew I would get one, it was just a matter of when.

I force myself to mix it up. Sometimes I revert back to dead bait. In your case you may need to go to using live bait or lures. I also mix up the fresh and salt water. Try for carp or tiliapia in your local creek

Set goals, targets, study and plan for success. What is the season, what is my best chance of getting a target fish. If 20 cm bass in the Albert is the best bet and you catch a 24cm you have caught a ripper fish. If it is whiting time then set your sights on bagging out rather then big fish.

Get you lazy arse up early (4am) and have a go. But go after your best chance. Time the tides and the season.

Consider shark fishing,

I fished with Ray one and he quietly suffered for 6 sessions not catching a thing while I caught about 6 barra. He said nothing and I didn't realise. He must have suffered painfully but then he caught 6 barra in one session and 7 in the next.

Read the advice above and do it !

Good points from Briano!

When I got into fishing I had it in my head that everytime I went out I HAD to catch decent fish!! AHAHA How stupid of me.....

but its like anything you do it to much or you do not very well and the frustration and bordem kicks in....... I used to be a mad keen on push bike racing but I over did it and now can't even look at the bike.

Now I just go out to enjoy the outdoors, if I catch something then its a bonus.

Try yak fishing....its bloody good fun!

Batman

Consider shark fishing,

Yep thats some great advice brian, actually i nedd to get back into some beach fishing. That was the only fishing i did as kid and my best memories were getting up at 4am with dad going down to deewhy in sydney and catching tailor sharks and aussie salmon. hmmm a camping trip up at double island might be on the cards!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep thats some great advice brian, actually i nedd to get back into some beach fishing. That was the only fishing i did as kid and my best memories were getting up at 4am with dad going down to deewhy in sydney and catching tailor sharks and aussie salmon. hmmm a camping trip up at double island might be on the cards!

Hey I was a Deewhy boy. my name is in the concrete in front of what used to be the Sunshine Morning Star Surf Shop. I grew up in Oaks and Howard. Mates were spanner, ralph, whitie, lizard, gecho, brad, hendo, bodwain, macca, runner, woolie. Hereos were Peter Crawford, Ox & mumbles to name a few.

I can certainly relate to this post. Have lost the passion for fishing a huge amount myself lately, but realise its because I'm stuck in a rut and have lost the passion for a lot of things. Realise its coming from struggling with adjusting to life outside the defence force and not being entirely happy with my new job as a civilian. Just not used to having so much time off as a fly in/fly out worker and end up just getting sick of going fishing. No shortage of catching decent fish, just catching the same old thing in the same old spots, doing the same old thing. To remedy this am actively looking for a change, hence joining this website and actively looking at moving back to Brisbane, to go back to the things I used to have a passion for as a kid- getting up at 3am to go chase tailor down the coast etc. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I can catch a jungle perch at will next door, 5 minute walk to catch a jack or GT, and 5 minute drive to catch a barra. As a young bloke I would have thought I was in heaven but now I'm indifferent to it!

May not apply to you, but I know for me its not the frustrations, trials and tribulations of being an angler, but need a change in my life to rekindle my passion for the sport.

If I get the job I'm going for in Brisbane in 3 weeks time, and end up moving to Bris, plan on doing some 'exploration' in areas 'new' to me (havent lived in Bris in nearly 20 years and when I was a kid, the Brisbane river was little more than a polluted floodwater drain, now its a fish producer!). Plan to apply some tropical fishing techniques down that way as I think there may be some niche fishing styles that are not really exploited in Bris- the same as up here in Cairns, there are insane numbers of bream but nobody knows how to target them as well as you guys down south know how to do. Welcome to join in if you are keen.

Good post Tony, a lot of us middle aged blokes could relate to your words. My next stop after Gladstone will be either Tassie, WA, SA or a holiday island like hamo, kepple or the like, not sure yet. I am sure that there will be a next spot though.

Thoughts are with you about ex services, my son got out of the navy, went overseas for 18months now is back and a bit lost. Good luck with brissy.

Archived