Jackall lures - the best colours

robski

Hi all. I just wanted to get a consensus on the best colour variation for the jackall lure before I go out and by my next one. So far I've bought a TN 50 - the silver one, but snagged and lost it within the first session of use. The second one was the same size in gold and black and I managed to catch quite a few bass at North Pine before snagging it yesterday.:( So, I've bought a new gold and black one from bcf, and a reflective green one in the larger size from a-mart.

The fellow at the fishing department at a-mart said that the best varieties had already been sold, so I'm not sure if the green one was the best choice to go with.

Any advice for dam and lake fishing ( can they be used in the sea?) would be appreciated.

Cheers.

They can be used in the sea mate yes.

Anything that will eat a bait fish will eat a jakal.

Just rinse them in fresh water to prevent the hooks from rusting due to the salt.

My favourite colors are the brown and gold sort of colours. Or anything in the more natural colors.

Cheers.

Angus

Me personally I wouldn't use them in saltwater unless I was fishing for Flathead. I have thrown them at madly eating pelagics and couldn't raise a scale, switch back to plastics and clean up. I would say the loud rattle puts them off. If you can get a hold of the silent hardbodied TN series then I'd say go for those in saltwater over the rattlers.

Plus the silent vibes are almost just as good as the rattlers for Bass.

As for Bass the TN60's are definately the best sized Jackalls. TN50's pull a lot of rats when you get onto a school whereas the 60's are normally left alone by the smaller ones which gives the bigger Bass from the school a chop.

I would avoid the TN70's, they cast miles but they sink like bricks and are hard to keep off the bottom when you retreive them which means you find more snags. They are good for surface ripping though when they don't want a popper but want something near the top.

Though Bass are well known for their reaction bites meaning they will hit any sized lure because of the sound, colour or vibes the lure puts off, rather then the size.

Spinnerbaits and Rallting Vibes are a good example of this as you can catch the very smallest of fish on very large 1oz. Spinnerbaits with a stinger hook and soft plastic trailer and big heavy TN70's.

This would be the order of type and size I would get in Jackalls: Rattlin TN60's, Silent TN60's, Mask Vibe 60's, Rattlin TN50's, Mask Vibe 70's then TN70's last.

Chrome golds followed by transparent purples and then chromey type colours are my preferences. Though the Golds definately take the cake.

Troy

How about you just give me the 25 bucks, and next time your fishing just shout out \"damn lost another one\" then we are both happy! :evil:

Seriously from what I have heard Jackalls are extremely delicate, and leaving them in the sun or in a locked car will kill them, so look after them well (if you manage to keep one for more than a session or two that is!). If your loosing a few why dont you switch to the cheaper G-Vibes until you are sure the area your fishing is clear of snags?

Feral, yes...I bought 5 G-vibes from a-mart strathpine yesterday. The two a-marts closest to me do not stock them, otherwise I would have done so earlier...

And Troy, I did give you a karma point, but someone has weirdly taken it from you :blink:

Feral wrote:

How about you just give me the 25 bucks, and next time your fishing just shout out \"damn lost another one\" then we are both happy! :evil:

Seriously from what I have heard Jackalls are extremely delicate, and leaving them in the sun or in a locked car will kill them, so look after them well (if you manage to keep one for more than a session or two that is!). If your loosing a few why dont you switch to the cheaper G-Vibes until you are sure the area your fishing is clear of snags?

Feral: Not jumping on the i love jakals band wagon but:

Im pretty sure that incident Ray had with the lure melting somehwat would have to have been with a Jakal Mask. The masks are a cross between a Hard Body and a Soft plastic. I left one in the sun once and yes, it melted :(

However the normal Jakals TN50's and TN60's are as durable as any harb body i have used.

Also i have used a lot of different bibless lures now, and i have to confess, it felt better using Jakals and i did get more bass.

I just wanted to Clarify that \"melting\" incident.

The boxes on the Jakals and the Jakal masks are almost the same so it could easily be mistaken.

Angus

I gave up using jackals after losing a few and switched over to the berkley frenzies from big w, at 4 bucks a pop, ended up catching 40 plus bass between 50-56cm and countless rats in a 3 week period in north pine a couple months ago, it was quiet amazing for a cheap lure. having said that green colours with black stripes in the jackals were good, same goes for most lures up there.

Post edited by: mackmauler, at: 2007/05/25 13:30

post-880-144598415727_thumb.jpg

mackmauler wrote:

I gave up using jackals after losing a few and switched over to the berkley frenzies from big w, at 4 bucks a pop, ended up catching 40 plus bass between 50-56cm and countless rats in a 3 week period in north pine a couple months ago, it was quiet amazing for a cheap lure. having said that green colours with black stripes in the jackals were good, same goes for most lures up there.<br /><br />Post edited by: mackmauler, at: 2007/05/25 13:30

Mackmauler: I agree with you mate. This was my first Baroon Pocket dam bass over 40cm. Caught on a Berkley Frenzy in the colours you specified. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bibless2-c0089d79a991416938effa7b10f6fc22.JPG

post-63-144598415732_thumb.jpg

Gold is the way to go! Gold spinnerbaits, jackalls and even tassies.

I got a purple jackall last weekend, it is one of the coolest looking jackalls ever made! Slightly transparent and it out fished the gold last week. That was a one off tho as usually gold beats the rest.

I dont use jackalls all too often, usually sticking to the G-Vibes. I am first to admit Jackalls are a better lure (looks, feel, motion, etc) however I still find the G-Vibes to work very well, especially for their price. I think the main advantage of Jackalls at this point is the range of colours. I have found with both Jackalls and G-Vibes that when the bass are on the bite they will go for almost any colour of either of the lures. Saying that, when they are a little less eager it may take a certain colour to get them fired up. I think the choice of colour varies greatly according to where you are fishing (what dam) and also what time of day. The greatest success has recently come from gold and light purple (as troy stated as well).

Then there is always the different fish such as yellowbelly which we have found to not like the gold or purple so much but more the darker colours.

Guess it all comes down to a bit of experimentation and once you have found what works for you in each situation you can go and buy more of your preferred colours.

-nelson-

This may be a big call, but i reckon that colours can at times be overated.

I reckon that when bass are either pissed off and territorial, or just plain hungry they will smash anything that will fit in there mouth.

I was watching a fishing DVD last night on spinner biats for bass. This certainly seemed true. These guys were not even trying. They were intentially trying every colour they had and throwing them out. Bass after bass was brought in, (and a couple of yellas for that matter).

Anyway i have my favourites of course, but i loose them, i dont mope. Tie another lure on and get it out there!!

Angus

Angus I used to think that, but then we've had loads of sessions at NP where the bass wont even touch a different colour. Like Troy and I used to both use same size jackalls, same technique in the same area, but different colour. Funnily enough I used to come out best because I loove gold, especially that 7 x 50cm+ bass day, they were nailing anything with any gold on it but not very many other colours.

But I get what you mean about the territorial and super hungry bass. Its just that its not usually like that!(I wish it were tho!)

Cheers.

Archived