Eleanor Schonell Bridge

viperon1982

I was fishing last nite with my mates at the new bridge at UQ, and was testing out my new \"toys\" from Ebay:

ECLIPSE Spinning Light-action Rod 1.8m 4lb-6lb

ECLIPSE Series BWF10L Spinning reel

FIREPOWER Super Line 4lb main line

FIREPOWER Super Line 6lb tracer

The above were bought at $52.95 incl of postage.

Used in conjunction were:

Mustard #4 hook with lumo bead

#12 black barrel swivel

#1 sinker

Frozen unpeeled prawn baits

My 3 mates were using varying rods with slightly heavier lines, though none were Firepower lines. However,the swivels, sinkers and hooks + lumo beads were identical. In the span of 1 hour, I got 3 catties, biggest one at 37cm, followed by 25cm, and 15cm. Reeling the big cat more than 50m up the bridge was QUITE frightening yet exciting.

Fish was struggling, line was swinging back and forth, my light action rod was bent completely, arms aching as they were hanging off the railings.. oh my.. good thing my mates helped to pull the last 5m of line in with their barehands. And voila, my first fish on a new rod! A decent-sized one as well!

Had to throw it back in as I was sick of eating catties anyway. Landed with a HUGE *SPLAT* 50m down the bridge! I feel the pain, but still it was worth a laugh or two. :laugh:

Anyway, only one of my mates got something at the 2nd hour just when we were about to leave, another small cat. We thought of having a go at Shorncliffe, but it was 1am and we were too tired, so off to lala-land instead.

My thoughts are the advice that has been given to me being \"fish as LIGHT as possible\" is very true. And I also feel that the Firepower worked really well, being that it was bright yellow and that possibly helped attract the fishes especially at night time.

Perhaps I'd be wrong to base my assumptions on a single night of fishing, so I'll head up north to Shorncliffe or Woody Pt and see if the new rod increases my hook-up rate.

Has anyone tried fishing at the UQ bridge? I can't access the jetty coz they are locked at night, so only way was AT the bridge. Any secret spots one of you might like to divulge?

Archived