GT's - Coomera Friday 1/4

Cheyne_jones

Hi everyone,

Just became a member recently, great website!

Thought I might contribute a little report and a few pics, as I enjoy reading everyone elses reports.

Had a cracker session on the giant trevs in the coomera river on friday morn.

Started out using walk the dog lures and was getting a few swipes but no hookups. Did have a 50 odd cm jack smash the lure and fly about 1m into the air, but no hookup again.

Changed to a small bubble pop, first cast got smoked and near lost all my line on my bass rod so had to lock it up and snap him off. So realised the trevs were into the bubble pops this day.

Ended up with a cracker bite, landed 5 and lost heaps. Was literally a fish a cast for about 1.5hrs. Lost every popper in my tackle box but it was worth it.

[img size=500]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19216531/Fishing/Photo%20Apr%2006%2C%202%2043%2033%20PM.jpg

[img size=500]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19216531/Fishing/Photo%20Apr%2006%2C%202%2042%2058%20PM.jpg

looks like a good sessions mate well done.

just one question mate,, when you talk abou " walk the dog poppers" ive heard of that alot but never known what action people mean when there talking about it.

would be awesome if you could let me know, mybe ill even catch something with one of those poppers in my box then :P:)

cheers

callum

looks like a good sessions mate well done.

just one question mate,, when you talk abou " walk the dog poppers" ive heard of that alot but never known what action people mean when there talking about it.

would be awesome if you could let me know, mybe ill even catch something with one of those poppers in my box then :P:)

cheers

callum

here is a walk the dog lure in action (shameful plug but you get the idea)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZI1qIEC5E

you have to impart the action on the lure by moving your rod tip. each movement of the rod tip gets the lure to move in a direction. you reel at the same time to keep slack to a minimum and hold on coz its addictive style of fishing

thanks zim,

i guess it requires alot of practise to get it right yeh?

lol

so im guessing thats the most sucessful way to fish a popper!

Welcome to the site mate, top report and fish too.

The style of retrieve all depends on the type of surface lure you are using, and also what you are targeting. Fish like trevs will take an aggressively presented popper, while bass usually like a more subtle retrieve.

A good way to see some of the retrieves is YouTube.

Hope this helps,

Ryan.

Hello,

You just need to try different retrieve methods to see what's working on a particular day. "old school" style poppers (bubble-pop/skitter-pop etc) push a lot of water around and are a much mroe aggresively presented lure.

As opposed to a walk-the-dog style like r2s/atomic/sammy etc is a more subtle approach - I've caught plenty trevs of late on walk the dogs (at night too) so don't be afraid to try different retreives til you crack the pattern.

Yeah not worried about loosing all my poppers, got to keep the boys at the tackle shop in business some how!

Decided that the 4 pound bream gear is not going to cut it any more with these fish so went out and got a new samurai reaction 302 and a daiwa caldia 2506 to stop them. Got one on it yesterday and it stood up alot better. Best outfit I have ever used by far.

can someone confirm for me, is the "walk the dog" a lure action or a retreval action?? The vid didn't show any of the rod/reel action so wasn't sure.

Both?the face on the front of the lure tends it to work like that, but there is some rod action involved?

can someone confirm for me, is the "walk the dog" a lure action or a retreval action?? The vid didn't show any of the rod/reel action so wasn't sure.

I reckon it is a retrieval action, because if the lure is reeled in without any rod movement, it just glides in a straight line back to you. If you add in downward flicks of the rod-tip whilst retrieving, that is when you get the side-to-side (walk-the-dog) action.

Cheers,

Ryan.

as ryan mentioned, its all in the rod tip action. use you wrist to twitch the rod tip, you only want it to move 6-10 inches. as they say in happy gilmore, "its all in the wrist"

i will try and make a video for them this weekend showing the rod twitiching part. maybe catch a fish at the same time

Archived