Mud Island 19th June morning

haines490slc

Decided to head out with an old mate this morning to Mud, got to the Manly marina boat ramp about 3:45 and get to Mud around 4:15, started to burley up had a cuppa then chucked out a couple of lightly weighted snapper rigs with a whole pilly on them. Just after the sun came up, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, and a nice 50cm Snapper comes up, we were stoked (as you know I have been catching jack squat lately), about 1 hour later, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz another nice 50cm snapper comes aboard. We were thinking about leaving and I was just relieving myself when bang, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz my rod went crazy, ( I retrieved the first few yards and adjusted the drag with old mate still out!) after a wicked fight we see a big snapper that went 68 cm come aboard. My mate was wondering what he was doing wrong, then 30 mins later he gets another nice one around 45cm. We pulled up at 10:30 and headed home very very happy boys. Hope you enjoy the pics. Thanks for all the great advice that is given on here about fishing.

[attachment=35865]DSC04856.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=35866]DSC04862.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=35867]DSC04857.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=35868]DSC04853.JPG[/attachment]

Great snaps mate - well done. Glad to hear there were some there - I went in a mates boat. Got there about 2:30am and tried a few times to anchor on a spot he marked where he'd gone well two weeks ago. After a few tries (I think the swell was lifting the anchor free) we eventually got it to stay put. Absolutely nothing though except for a tiny squire on the northern side whilst on the move. Didn't burley (my mate is a bit of a clean freak) but still, considering the bottom structure I'm amazed at the lack of action. Tried pillies and prawns and had a live mullet on my other rod which remained untouched.

So ..... like I said, good to hear someone was getting some.

well done mate....i was down on the pontoon when you were loading ya boat up...i thought it was you but wasnt sure!!!

great work on the snaps mate....i went out at about 2pm yesterday arvo to run in my new motor and do an all nighter around mud.

got sick of that by about 1 am with the wind feeling like it was only getting worse and couldnt find shelter from the washing machine swell anywhere!!!

oh yer and it twas freezing!!!

Great looking snapper!! :cheer: I'm still surprised by the quality of snapper that can be caught inside a Bay!

May I ask what breaking strain of line and leader you were using? Is 20lb too light or too heavy for fishing in Moreton Bay? I've already been busted off a few times by fish that I'm sure weren't that big. But I was only using 9lb mono with a 12lb fluro leader.

Great looking snapper!! :cheer: I'm still surprised by the quality of snapper that can be caught inside a Bay!

May I ask what breaking strain of line and leader you were using? Is 20lb too light or too heavy for fishing in Moreton Bay? I've already been busted off a few times by fish that I'm sure weren't that big. But I was only using 9lb mono with a 12lb fluro leader.

Using a shimanoe Blue Water Snapper rod 4500 6 -10kg, with a Penn 750 reel, spooled with good quality 30lb braid, with a 40lb leader. The little ones only just tested the rod, the big one was fairly easy to pull in also, but took a bit of line.

Using a shimanoe Blue Water Snapper rod 4500 6 -10kg, with a Penn 750 reel, spooled with good quality 30lb braid, with a 40lb leader. The little ones only just tested the rod, the big one was fairly easy to pull in also, but took a bit of line.

Ah that's serious stuff! Thanks, I'd better upgrade my bream gear then. Talk about being a little tooo sporting :lol:

Nice report Mr 490slc and some quality fish there but the bit I liked the best was the expression on your face - that smile looks like you'll need something heavy-duty to get it off
I was already stoked with the two 50cm ones came in so when the big boy came aboard it was happy days, plus they are the first keepers I have caught off my boat, so double happy. (missus called them the $20K fish) Only problem is, will probably never beat that big one, may be my PB I reckon, they are certainly the best fish I have caught for a long, long time.

Archived