sand pumping jetty nightmair

madmullet

I agree this does occur everywhere and across the community. I pulled up next a boat at Macleay Island a few weeks back only to see the skipper filleting his catch on the back of the boat and I did not see a legal squire and a fish above 30cm. No wonder he thought he had done well. I just said to him that I think they may be a bit small and let him know the legal size and bag limit. It fell on deaf ears.

I do think that jetties and wharves do have a greater occurrence for this action as it is a relatively cheap place to go and fish in deeper water. Much cheaper than running your own boat. This may encourage people of tighter socioeconomic groups to congregate there. Putting food in the belly sometimes rates higher to some people than doing the right thing if they are not going to be caught. (how was that for PC) Answer is to fine people doing the wrong thing. Put up a cctv if the need be on the wharf so it can be easily monitored. Only the people doing illegal activities will mind this.

I do not think the information sprouted earlier is correct regarding public places. for anybody interested this is a good resource. http://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-sheet/street-photographers-rights/

At the end of the day there is a law and it should be followed. These laws are here so our children can catch a fish in the future. There should be more people trying to educate the ignorant people in our community and there should be more fisheries officers.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw,

since we are being more civil. I can tell you that I have all the straight lines numbers qld fisheries and the 2 girls I recently spoke to..on the JEtty 2 weeks ago all but admitted to me that AFTER5 pm they operate on a skelaton staff[ thats why she gave me a different number to call on !!] and that a crew of about 4 monitor the entire gold coast. She didnt say but I think their are no more than 20 inspection officers.

I didnt want to mention this publicly encourage the 'badguys' but its either unimportant to the state govt, an issue of funding or both

btw I will advise the board when the tailor again are biting hard so perhaps we can get some FAIR filming down their. maybe madmullet can tell us when he is going and I would guarantee his safety:) but seriously it should should show what the Jetty looks like on a NORMAL slow day as well as that is how the JEtty is most times though I admit it is having an exceptional winter unlike the last 2 winters. The film should show what its like before sunset with the crowded fishermen in place getting ready, The action good or bad once the tailor run has started, the mess after and the cleaning up at sunrise. This would be fair.

Be warned though that unlike what some think tailor is not guaranteed at the Jetty so those who have to make long drives may end up disappointed like many of my brisbane friends

btw,

since we are being more civil. I can tell you that I have all the straight lines numbers qld fisheries and the 2 girls I recently spoke to..on the JEtty 2 weeks ago all but admitted to me that AFTER5 pm they operate on a skelaton staff[ thats why she gave me a different number to call on !!] and that a crew of about 4 monitor the entire gold coast. She didnt say but I think their are no more than 20 inspection officers.

I didnt want to mention this publicly encourage the 'badguys' but its either unimportant to the state govt, an issue of funding or both

btw I will advise the board when the tailor again are biting hard so perhaps we can get some FAIR filming down their. maybe madmullet can tell us when he is going and I would guarantee his safety:) but seriously it should should show what the Jetty looks like on a NORMAL slow day as well as that is how the JEtty is most times though I admit it is having an exceptional winter unlike the last 2 winters. The film should show what its like before sunset with the crowded fishermen in place getting ready, The action good or bad once the tailor run has started, the mess after and the cleaning up at sunrise. This would be fair.

Be warned though that unlike what some think tailor is not guaranteed at the Jetty so those who have to make long drives may end up disappointed like many of my brisbane friends

i am not goin to advertise when i am going down, and it wont be me now as their are snitches i no and they know my face. and they no to be doing the rite thing

Filming people without their permission has a whole host of problems[and I mean a whole host] especially when youe you CANNOT PROVE they have broken any law.

it is only illegal if you are profiting,slandering or performing deformation of character,ive looked into all this,im a videographer.Catching illegal acts on tape however,is not illegal

Nate,

I agree with most what you said.

My major beef IS THE TARGETING of the JETTY. This problem is all over Qld and dont even get me started on the mullet fishermen this season. I hear this week alone 1 crew shot up 350kg of mullet in the broadwater and they are allowed all other species as legal bycatch !!

That Jetty is quiet 75% of the year and I would hate to see it go as many women, children, disabled and old crooked fisho use that Jetty regularily. I can think of people like George who recently passed away and his mates who still fish there.. all men over 65 yrs who go their 3-4 times/ week. many regulars who enforce the rules and are the first to call qld fisheries.

I saw a fisho in a wheelchair last week in the day fishing and I though to my self what would I do if I were in his situation., rocks, beach, an unsafe pontoon or peir, I dont think so.

Hi Girlychick,

I think you'll find most people on here would hate to see that jetty closed just as much as you.

I think the solution being advocated here would see an increased presence of fisheries on the jetty, and higher penalties for those who keep undersized fish or litter the area.

I respect that you know alot of good people who love going to, and fishing from the jetty. With respect to the suggestions above, it would seem to me that their time fishing there would be made more enjoyable by the increased cleanliness of the jetty and waters (even if they are cleaned everyday, its still better to let plastics and litter enter the water at all), and by a decrease in the minority engaging in practices which cause anger/contention on the jetty and which give everyone a bad name. The many good fisherman which you speak of would not be adversley affected by an increase in penalties and their enforcement. It takes a couple of seconds for a fisheries inspector to have a quick browse through your eksy and tackle, and no harm done to those doing the right thing.

eg_vtec is very well respected on these boards, and he supports your comments that most people do the right thing on the jetty. I accept that, and it doesnt shock me. The problem isn't in the majority, its in the minority, but unfortunately a minority at hundreds of fishing locations around the state doing the wrong thing results in a vast amount of fish being taken illegally from out waterways, and that can only result in a reduction in fish stocks over time, which adversley affects predators of those fish and the ecosystem as a whole.

In fact, its practices such as illegal fishing and littering which will see public fihshing areas like the sand pumping jetty banned in time. All over the state. If we can address the problem now, we can all look forward to a long future of recreational fishing without the need for bans or limitations. I'm not going to back away from a problem on the sand pumping jetty just because many good people fish there also. its on behalf of the good people fishing there that I, and others, are motivated to do something about those who are doing the wrong thing.

I'm sure you can understand kurts anger, he loves our environment and it pains him to see it marauded by those who dont care about it. His desire to document the practices which are hurting the environment is both ethical and fully legal in a free press society. Perhaps not admissable in court, but i doubt the goal of this is to take anyone to court?

With that said, I can see your side of the story is also very valid. It's not pleasant when people doing the right thing have a camera on them, especially when they have done nothing to make anyone suspicious. The idea of the jetty you love being put on the news and banned because of a bad few must be upsetting and I understand that, and can tell you we dont want that outcome.

This is a problem we have to discuss on the board. How can Kurt conduct his filming in a respectful manner, which is still able to produce footage of people doing the wrong thing? Girlychick- if you know the people who do the right thing and blow the whistle frequently, perhaps they'll be cooperative with kurt and point him toward those doing the wrong thing?

I also think its wrong for the sand pumping jetty to be targeted. That aside, Kurts documentary will be most ineffective if focused on one location anyway: an illegal practice occuring in one pace does not mean its a widespread problem. If Kurt really wants to produce a rounded and effective prortrayal of the problem, he'll need to get footage at various places. woody point, shorncliffe jetty, bongaree, seaway, and other such places all suffer from the same problem and this should be represented.

So Girlychick, I hope your convinced that we are not racially motivated, we seek no harm to the jetty in particular, we are just very concerned about a real problem that exists and that will lead to even worse problems in the future. The presence of other marine threats does not validate this one. I can promise you, however, that my voice will be supporting the filming of various locations rather than just the sand pumping jetty, both for the effectivness of the documentay, and to prevent the closedown of the jetty as a quick-stop measure by the government. If we present them with a problem occuring over a range of areas, they have to change policy to meet it. If we present them with a problem occuring in one area, they'll just put a in the meantime measure in for that location which will do nothing for the rest of the state or the problem in general, and disadvantage the many honest fishermen who fish at the sand pumping jetty.

Hope you can join our side,

Regards,

Nathan

Nate,

I agree with most what you said.

My major beef IS THE TARGETING of the JETTY. This problem is all over Qld and dont even get me started on the mullet fishermen this season. I hear this week alone 1 crew shot up 350kg of mullet in the broadwater and they are allowed all other species as legal bycatch !!

That Jetty is quiet 75% of the year and I would hate to see it go as many women, children, disabled and old crooked fisho use that Jetty regularily. I can think of people like George who recently passed away and his mates who still fish there.. all men over 65 yrs who go their 3-4 times/ week. many regulars who enforce the rules and are the first to call qld fisheries.

I saw a fisho in a wheelchair last week in the day fishing and I though to my self what would I do if I were in his situation., rocks, beach, an unsafe pontoon or peir, I dont think so.

Hi Girlychick,

I think you'll find most people on here would hate to see that jetty closed just as much as you.

I think the solution being advocated here would see an increased presence of fisheries on the jetty, and higher penalties for those who keep undersized fish or litter the area.

I respect that you know alot of good people who love going to, and fishing from the jetty. With respect to the suggestions above, it would seem to me that their time fishing there would be made more enjoyable by the increased cleanliness of the jetty and waters (even if they are cleaned everyday, its still better to let plastics and litter enter the water at all), and by a decrease in the minority engaging in practices which cause anger/contention on the jetty and which give everyone a bad name. The many good fisherman which you speak of would not be adversley affected by an increase in penalties and their enforcement. It takes a couple of seconds for a fisheries inspector to have a quick browse through your eksy and tackle, and no harm done to those doing the right thing.

eg_vtec is very well respected on these boards, and he supports your comments that most people do the right thing on the jetty. I accept that, and it doesnt shock me. The problem isn't in the majority, its in the minority, but unfortunately a minority at hundreds of fishing locations around the state doing the wrong thing results in a vast amount of fish being taken illegally from out waterways, and that can only result in a reduction in fish stocks over time, which adversley affects predators of those fish and the ecosystem as a whole.

In fact, its practices such as illegal fishing and littering which will see public fihshing areas like the sand pumping jetty banned in time. All over the state. If we can address the problem now, we can all look forward to a long future of recreational fishing without the need for bans or limitations. I'm not going to back away from a problem on the sand pumping jetty just because many good people fish there also. its on behalf of the good people fishing there that I, and others, are motivated to do something about those who are doing the wrong thing.

I'm sure you can understand kurts anger, he loves our environment and it pains him to see it marauded by those who dont care about it. His desire to document the practices which are hurting the environment is both ethical and fully legal in a free press society. Perhaps not admissable in court, but i doubt the goal of this is to take anyone to court?

With that said, I can see your side of the story is also very valid. It's not pleasant when people doing the right thing have a camera on them, especially when they have done nothing to make anyone suspicious. The idea of the jetty you love being put on the news and banned because of a bad few must be upsetting and I understand that, and can tell you we dont want that outcome.

This is a problem we have to discuss on the board. How can Kurt conduct his filming in a respectful manner, which is still able to produce footage of people doing the wrong thing? girlychick I might suggest that if you know so many of those on the jetty who do the right thign and blow the whistle frequently, perhaps they'll be cooperative with kurt and point him toward those doing the wrong thing?

I also think its wrong for the sand pumping jetty to be targeted. That aside, Kurts documentary will be most ineffective if focused on one location anyway: an illegal practice occuring in one pace does not mean its a widespread problem. If Kurt really wants to produce a rounded and effective prortrayal of the problem, he'll need to get footage at various places. woody point, shorncliffe jetty, bongaree, seaway, and other such places all suffer from the same problem and this should be represented.

So girlychick, I hope your convinced that we are not racially motivated, we seek no harm to the jetty in particular, we are just very concerned about a real problem that exists and that will lead to even worse problems in the future. The presence of other marine threats does not validate this one. I can promise you, however, that my voice will be supporting the filming of various locations rather than just the sand pumping jetty, both for the effectivness of the documentay, and to prevent the closedown of the jetty as a quick-stop measure by the government. If we present them with a problem occuring over a range of areas, they have to change policy to meet it. If we present them with a problem occuring in one area, they'll just put a in the meantime measure in for that location which will do nothing for the rest of the state or the problem in general, and disadvantage the many honest fishermen who fish at the sand pumping jetty.

Hope you can join our side,

Regards,

Nathan

Very well said

wow, well that was interesting... kurt- keep it up mate...

How can we bring attention to the persistent and damaging habits of illegal fishing methods across queensland, such as is occuring at the sand pumping jetty gold coast?...What policies/changes would make a difference and are viable?...What can we do to see these changes implemented?..cheers,nate

No policy changes or licencing is required what so ever.

The whole crux of Kurts thread is about illegal fishing practices by some at the Sandpumping Jetty,for which there are already regulations that say you can not take under sized fish,and you must adhere to a bag limit for the species caught.

What is being asked for is support to gain attention to these ILLEGAL practises,so that those who have the power will act against these practices for the benefit of ALL.

How much more Black and White can that be... no GRAY area there what so ever.

Just on a side note I have a White Maremma Italian sheepdog and a Brown English staffy/boxer cross both of whom like me,get cheesed off with the Black American staffy that lives over the road and barks all night long.

This is more annoying than the other dogs in the neighbour hood that bark only if someone is wandering the street late at night.I have on accassions rung the local council about this barking.

So what is my above side note rambling about...the fact is I have used Race and Colour and not one word is racist just factual,and asked the appropiate authority to do some thing about this dogs` barking,as a dog/s owner I have asked for no more than what the regulatiopns state that I do.

Like I stated above what is asked is The Regulations to be enforced.

I took a walk down the Seaway wall on Tuesday and there were a large number of 'anglers' on there as well.

I saw at least three undersized bream put in eskies in the few minutes I was there. I did not say anything because I did not feel like being a hero given the number fishing shoulder to shoulder.

It puts me off fishing these places and also makes me wary of giving any information about my catches in case the same thing happens at my regular spots. This problem is not confined to the jetty :(

Gad, I agree with you in the general sense. the rules are clear for all to see, but there is little fear of enforcement so many ignore them.

however, I personally think policies and regulations do need to be discussed. Its policies and regulation which determine the funding fisheries recieve, and the extent and severity of fines imposed for illegal practices.

If we want better enforcement, then we need more officers and harsher penalties. to get more officers, fisheries needs increased funding, revenue or support, and to increase the severity of fines in order to discourage illegal activity on the basis of increased risk, policy needs to be altered by those in a position to do so.

Happy to see discussion on this,

cheers,

nate

I think this has been a mostly good topic, we have been able to hear 2 sides, and who knows , if there are some of those that do the wrong thing that are on this site, they might read this topic and know that people are looking at what they are doing. Its much better that they read it on here and change there ways before they end up in trouble, and if they don't change there ways, then i put them in the same position as people that get done for drugs and drink driving, you get what you deserve.

Gad, I agree with you in the general sense. the rules are clear for all to see, but there is little fear of enforcement so many ignore them.

however, I personally think policies and regulations do need to be discussed. Its policies and regulation which determine the funding fisheries recieve, and the extent and severity of fines imposed for illegal practices.

If we want better enforcement, then we need more officers and harsher penalties. to get more officers, fisheries needs increased funding, revenue or support, and to increase the severity of fines in order to discourage illegal activity on the basis of increased risk, policy needs to be altered by those in a position to do so.

Happy to see discussion on this,

cheers,

nate

I agree this needs to be looked at.Government waste of taxpayers money is a key area to look at.

So would implementing a mandatory seizure, of all equipment and sell off of all fishing gear boats cars trailers etc of illegal fishers. would go along way to funding more staff and getting the message across,with out adding cost to the majority,...

but this is not the topic of Kurts thread.

Hey guys,

Well last night I went to the jetty there was about max 20 fisherman it was dead, dead as a door nail. Okay lets get down to the nitty gritty.

I was fishing with some asian mates last night, some viet, chinese, korean and so on. I was fishing away from them near the middle when AFO members came up to me. I found out they were AFO members by them saying we came to take a look after all the fuss on the forum. After chatting to them, they tell me I quote " These f**king asians are everywhere, last Saturday we couldn't even fit in to get a proper fish" They carried on verbally abusing asian which was mostly racist. I walked away pretended to fish for yellow tail because it was a shit night.

This is the type of innuendoes that is coming from this post explicit or not. I was fishing that Saturday and to be truthful it was packed, packed to the days! But when you look at any big crowd you will get rubbish, take for instance parks, stadiums. Now this is a fishing platform I know but there are big crows so obviously rubbish levels are going to be high and I DONT CONDONE it before any jumps down my throat. But that is a simple fact.

I later fished Sunday night next to a old white man, very nice fello did not get upset about tangled lines and so ons. But I did notice him NOT measuring his fish before putting it back in the esky and they looked small.

Now this post is not to be racist but to show people that its not one sided I am not asian or from asian decent, but in reality there is silent racial slur occurring.

Lets get to the point of Fisheries, THEY do need to be there when TAILOR are running but they are not. The week before they were starting to run Fisheries were there 2/3 times I was fishing and 4-5 people got fined.

Lines and people- I got tangled 15 times old asians, a white guy, younger asian guys. No-one made a fuss, cut the line or swore we stood together shone the torch down and untangled it. I was fishing there from 8-6am and only for 8 Tailor and had a good chat to everyone.

Rulers, I noticed many many many people have rulers and i kept mine out and the area I was fishing became a community ruler as everyone got to know each other because of the tangles and I will tell you 90% of the people ruled their fish.

I am just getting absolutely frustrated reading this because other people are reading this and getting the wrong interpretation.

Yes

There is rubbish, Yes there is undersized being taken (from asians and non asians)

No

I have not seen a fight, No I have not seen a argument.

We need to get down to a FEW are taking undersized fish and rubbish is being collected as for crowds thats what happens when tailor are running, I remember surf fishing with about 40 guys in less then half a km. Fisheries needs to be there every night and the PLACE does get clean. The racial stigmatism is being shown through this forum as I received an earful yesterday.

When I say racial stigmatism I mean the fact that asians are the only ones starting fights, taking undersized fish and getting agressive. I know it might not be whats trying to be portrayed its just the fact i received an earful of it yesterday exemplifies that other members racially feel like that.

This is just my opinion I have given the facts, I am not a racist I am from the land of racism South Africa, its just that this post has the innuendoes attached and it true as I mentioned above some AFO members directly saying it. I will not name names but just for some clarification that is happening.

can we not let this digress into a he said she said etc

Yes this thread has taken many turns, some for the worst, but the heart of the thread is on a serious issue: illegal practices in fishing

accusations have flown on both sides of the fence. 'asians are the problem', 'aussie bogans', 'thugs', lots of discriminatory terms and statements have been thrown around in the heat of the discussion. how about we drop all that nonsense, stop making accusations, get on the same side and focus on how we can raise awareness of illegal fishing practice, and how we can encourage the relevant organisation to police it more effictivley. Discussion away from this is just going to go in circles, and i would encourage the moderators to watch this thread carefully to keep it on track.

As stated earlier, it doesnt matter who is committing the illegal practice. The enforcement of the rules will apply to all fisherman, so talk of race need not be involved.

cheers,

Nathan

Hey guys,

Well last night I went to the jetty there was about max 20 fisherman it was dead, dead as a door nail. Okay lets get down to the nitty gritty.

I was fishing with some asian mates last night, some viet, chinese, korean and so on. I was fishing away from them near the middle when AFO members came up to me. I found out they were AFO members by them saying we came to take a look after all the fuss on the forum. After chatting to them, they tell me I quote " These f**king asians are everywhere, last Saturday we couldn't even fit in to get a proper fish" They carried on verbally abusing asian which was mostly racist. I walked away pretended to fish for yellow tail because it was a shit night.

This is the type of innuendoes that is coming from this post explicit or not.

shivvy, you,I and 99.9% of genuine AFO members on this site, know that this is not the act or spirit of TRUE AFOer`s,unfortunately all sites clubs,assossiations etc get a sideline element of knuckle dragging neanderthals that group together for their own agendas,and use a situation to showcase their own prejudicies and lack of an IQ score.

Hey guys,

This is the type of innuendoes that is coming from this post explicit or not. quote]

shivvy, you,I and 99.9% of genuine AFO members on this site, know that this is not the act or spirit of TRUE AFOer`s,unfortunately all sites clubs,assossiations etc get a sideline element of knuckle dragging neanderthals that group together for their own agendas,and use a situation to showcase their own prejudicies and lack of an IQ score.

totally agree mate, I hope madmullet doesn't have a problem with this but this is not hearsay, as I explained to him is that I dont want to name names as your entitled to your opinion until it it harmful to others. I wont name names as its just a shit storm. The point is that it is happening! its just a fact that is happening some of the comments made were both violent and hurtful. As I message one of the mods, poisoning, trolling of lines, tipping buckets over and stabbing people how is that supposed to be a educated argument. For godsake people there are younger members on here myself only being 20 can see this wrong the oldies should know better to influence other. The discussion about better policies im ALL FOR IT. The rest should just be deleted along with my massive rants. All non essential things towards the topic should.

come on everyone...lets dropped whats happened and move on shall we?

emotional issues such as this frequently bring up heated anger, people say things which they wouldnt normall say and you can't pigeon people because of what they said in anger. both sides are guilty, lets focus on the important things and move on in this discussion.

really, were all on the same side here. i urge everyone to refrain from further talk of race, making generalisations or insults, forget and forgive, and to focus on the task at hand

nate

This is not an issue of alot of people doing the wrong thing its an issue of a hand ful of people out of afew hundred doing the wrong thing. whether you are aussie, chinies, japanese, mexica, or evan an eskimo!!!! so still should be able to understand and advide by the laws set in place.

you all should no, that stories do get blown out of proportion, its going to happern, but you will always get those that will go the distance to try and get around them.

i personally think ( i know alot of you wont like this ) we should have to sit for a fishing liscence, eg tested on basic species lengths and bag limits ect. and this liscence gives you the right and understanding that you will advide by laws...

you sit your car liscence, and if you get done breaking the law, you get punished,.

so if you dont have a liscence you dont fish,

which brings me to policeing this....

say for instance you have a liscence and you are fishing say, victoria point and the orthority comes up to you asked for your liscence and you produce one, then he asked to look in your bucket and you have been found to have eligal fish on you, will in fact getting that liscence you have shown basic knolage and are found guitly.

at the moment alot of people say i didnt no that.... or i didnt relise or i dont understand..... this will make it clear that you have basic knolage and understanding

and the money raised goes to fish stocking ect

its a win win

i hope you understand what i am trying to say....

I am sure the admin and mods are watching this tread with interest (and probably dread)and will take further actions if/when required.

Blanket culling of posts can often back fire,because people reading these posts in time to come can often miss the actual facts that show the site and it`s members do not as a whole accept nor tolerate some peoples slanted views

this is like when the YELLOW RAINCOATS USED TO CHASE PRAWNS back about 5 years or so ago before the bucket limit came in.. 100s of boats going flatout crash bang got to get there first . boats full of prawns .big eskys full and over flowing if you saw this it was crazy..who were they?now be carefull

Well my parents are pretty big on beach fishing but wanted to try out the jetty for a change this morning. Not many people there and they didnt get any tailor but the man next to my mum was keeping EVERYTHING.. when she caught an undersize whiting and threw it back he arced up and said WTF are you doing? she said it's undersize and his response?

when you see fisheries just throw them back in.. - this is just one case but straight from the eye of the beholder. [Also heard of a husband and wife who caught upto 100 fish - as he was hauling them in she'd take 20 out to the car at a time to try and hide them]

I have to agree that I would be in favour of a fishing license as long the funds where used for facilities, fisheries officers, and stocking and not going into general revenue.

We have adequate laws I think. The problem is they are not enforced or cannot be enforced because of lack of funds. I think more signage would help also in these areas with clear size and bag limits. It need not be expensive as the boat stickers would suffice. This is posted from my phone so not easy to read before posting

Well my parents are pretty big on beach fishing but wanted to try out the jetty for a change this morning. Not many people there and they didnt get any tailor but the man next to my mum was keeping EVERYTHING.. when she caught an undersize whiting and threw it back he arced up and said WTF are you doing? she said it's undersize and his response?

when you see fisheries just throw them back in.. - this is just one case but straight from the eye of the beholder. [Also heard of a husband and wife who caught upto 100 fish - as he was hauling them in she'd take 20 out to the car at a time to try and hide them]

ow my god..... guys this is exactly what i am talking about, this stuff should be documented, if you are 100% sure give the rego plate to the fisheries and they can actually do a door knock... laws still apply at home. if you have a freezer full of evan legal fish and it is over your bag limit....BOOM, your bustard.

eg 20 tailor and you have 40 at home that is 20 over the legal possesion

ow my god..... guys this is exactly what i am talking about, this stuff should be documented, if you are 100% sure give the rego plate to the fisheries and they can actually do a door knock... laws still apply at home. if you have a freezer full of evan legal fish and it is over your bag limit....BOOM, your bustard.

eg 20 tailor and you have 40 at home that is 20 over the legal possesion

Yeah its shocking that so few screw things up for many, In regards to the few amount of tailor supposedly the trollers have come around and my mates dad works on one of them said the have been catching 100's of fish every hour and have keep off loading the boats.. this is another example of over fishing. Its horrible.

So, as I read it, the thread is done.

Summary

Kurt went fishing and it was overcrowded. Some people were keeping undersized fish on the Southport Sand pumping jetty which was untidy and messy with litter etc.

Kurt stated he was angered by all of this. Most people agreed and felt something should be done about it.

Suggestions were made from vigilanteism to phoning Fishwatch to making a documentary about it.

Some people thought it was a racist post because the perpetrators Kurt noticed were Asians. Asians have a bad reputation in the fishing community for being naughty and doing illegal acts. It is agreed that every nationality does illegal acts and the thread was not intended to be a racial slur. Some members agree, some disagree.

Also there was a video showing how naive it is to think everyone can or will ever get along....unless we get travel insurance. It is accepted in some places that travel insurance is the answer to all conflict, however it is not for sale everywhere it is needed unfortunately.

In the end - if you are on AFO or are a longterm AFOer, chances are you are Asian, or have some friends who are Asian or are Asian decended, and you think of everyone in the same way as everyone else. There is also the chance that is not the case of course, but genuine clear racism is not tolerated on the site. Perceptions cannot always be accounted for however, so sometimes what you feel is racist is not and was never meant to be racist. Also the playing of the race card is too easy at times as well, when someone needs to use a defense when they have been proven wrong or outwitted.

That said, the thread overall is heading in the direction that threads do on that other big forum. Which is not good imo and we are better off locking this one up to maintain the differentiation ;)

I'm pretty sure it's run its course. :)

If you are not happy with this ruling send me a PM explaining why in 100 words or less. If there are enough entries I will have a prize draw and consider re-opening it. :)

Yeah guys us mods a reading this and keeping an eye on it.

Personally I don't think its gotten too bad, minus the heavy entry to this thread by some :)

I don't think we'll go culling any of the posts thus far as its a very interesting topic and everyone is entitled to an opinion and voice. Most of it has been friendly and unoffensive. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion, as long as its playing nice.

Shivvy.... just like the fisherman on the jetty, a few people can ruin it for others. So if a couple of AFO'rs were throwing out some slurs againts a group of people, it'd be the same as tarring an entire race based on a fews actions. I'm a believer (whether naive or not) that the intentions of all in this thread who have posted do not mean to directly target the entire asian race. Just those that are breaking the rules.

I can understand why people would use the word asian to describe the people they see offending... its because its the easiest way to describe them :D If they just all happened to be wearing black beanies, I'm sure they may be referred to as the black beanies... its just the offenders seem to have the same features.. . Dudes... I'm asian (for those who didn't know or don't know me) and even I tar them with the same brush. I'm the worst at it. It just comes down to how you say it and how you use it, just like a swear word. I can drop the F-bomb while talking to you and you'd have no dramas, but if I said it in a certain way, you'd wanna smack me.... same thing. It all comes down to the context its being used in.

Its interesting to watch this thread as the older members are very good at posting their opinions but doing so in a way where they are considering the way that it could be interpreted on the other end of the web... :) good on yas

Archived