4X4 TRIP TO MT MEE SATURDAY 16/6/07

AlsHilux

Hey everyone, me and a couple of mates are goin for a bit of a reccy mission to mt mee. I've never been there before, and i'm keen to test out my new 32\" muddies... praying for some rain tonight!

anyway, i know chances are slim but if anyone else is keen, feel free to join in on the fun.. plan to be there about 9am I can be contacted on 0421620346 (Al). Or if you're in the vicinity, keep your eyes out for a white hilux, a beige landcruiser and a black surf.. that'll be us!

will let you know how it goes, see if i can break something!

G'day again guys an gals,

I'd just like to say, I'll be going back to mt mee again soon! That was killer! ..and I'm very happy with my new bf goodrich 32\" muddies.

In relation to fishing, NP Dam and Somerset are very very close to mt mee.. so yeh, there is definately fishing to be had. There are a couple of campsites in the state forest. Could do a AFO 4x4/fishing/camping trip?

I wouldn't be taking anything 2wd too deep into the forest, the tracks start off well maintained dirt roads (peggs rd i think is that main track leading into the park?) and once you're a little deeper the side tracks vary from easy to hard core. So depending on your style you can do just about anything you want, big rock climbs, some decent sized mud pits and some massive hills are there for the conquering.

One particular hill proved to be a particular challenge, not only was the track super steep and fairly long to the peak, but about half way up you hit some pretty massive ruts where the v8 boys had obviously put their diff lockers to good work. Unfortunately for us non-lockers, you power up this hill in low 2nd, skip, jump, slide, but as soon as you get one of your boots into a rut and lose traction the run is over. It's a very scary reverse back down the hill with a long way to roll if you slide off the track which is cover in loose dirt and gravel. But it was a challenge so we tried, and tried again. With only the landcruiser making it up on the 5th attempt, the hilux was nil for 6 having jumped out of gear on the last two attempts, and the surf bowed out after 3.

I will be back for that hill!

Anyway, there are some nice spots to check out while you're there, like diana's bath and the look outs. Everything is so nice and green it's a great change from seeing everything so brown and dry.

So now I'm just ranting.. I can't do it justice in words, I am no poet or writer. Ya'll should come out and have some fun.

Just make sure you have more of an emergency/repair kit then the boys we ran into coming out with a broken down truck and only a screwdriver (not even a spare tyre).

I'm thinking we'll be going back not this but next weekend (30/6/07).

Anyone keen for a day in the dirt?

we actually got followed out by a copper in a little pathfinder.. just one cop in one car, doesn't he know the buddy system?!

anyway, I can see there being a few more forays into mt mee state forest and fishing trips up to the dam, so don't worry we'll probably still be bush bashing when your leg is right again mate, as long as you promise not to book me for anything :lol:

I was under the understanding that you dont need a permit to travel in a State Forest in QLD now as long as you are condusting a non commercial activity in a currently registered vehicle.

I know there was a change a short time back and they were removed, except for the islands like Moreton, Bribie and Fraser.

A check of the EPA website confirms this in a roundabout sort of way.

Cheers,

Greg

I thought I addressed the permit issue in an earlier post.. maybe that was another website.

But just to confirm, you are no longer (as of March this year) required to obtain a permit to traverse in state forests in Queensland.

You still however need a permit to camp, and a permit to traverse is still required for National Parks.

Thats going to make it interesting. One of the mainstays of safety when we run Rally's in state forest is no permits are (were) issued for the relevant day we close the roads. I did not go to the last Rally (a fortnight ago) which would have been the first since March, so I dont know how that is addressed from a safety point of view.

Might make a few kids in V8's eyes bulge when an STI subaru comes over the hill on full song at 200kph in the state forest!

One of the reason rally's have not been run in the beerwah forest for years is the number of people illegally in the forest, it was to hard to ensure safety.

...just as long as one of those super-roo's doesn't smear a dirty blue speed strip down my hilux i'm fine. Anyway, I don't think a rally car would make it very far on some of the tracks we were playing on.

Feral, all tracks are supposed to be signed if closed now. So maybe for your rally days they will close certain sections but not the whole forest?

Signed and bunted, but still means the officials who man the \"roadblocks\" will have to deal with people who are wanting to enter / leave the forest via the closed roads.

Of course the first thing these people try to do is disappear around the corner, and bypass the roadblock by a bit of scrub bashing, which one puts them in Danger, and two, gets the forestry angry with us, as they think it is spectators doing to damage!.

You might be interested to know we are charged roughly $35 per entry for repair to damage to the roads caused by the racing!

Archived