ABT Flathead Comp - Gold Coast

Orca

Team Austackle achieved a great result at the ABT FLathead Comp yesterday at the Gold Coast. Jamie McKeown and Ryan Clark finished second to the Bush n Beach Team by only 34cms , but caught the largest 2 Flathead going 94cms & 91cms. Another fantastic endorsement of Austackle gear. Takeda Fireblades armed with Bonehead lures were used predominantly with some use of soft plastics in the deeper water.

post-9073-144598669228_thumb.jpg

post-9073-144598669238_thumb.jpg

Great result, but I can't believe that guys fishing a comp don't know how to support a big fish. Would have made a nice dinner for one of the bully's in the area I suppose.

Such a shame someone else won't get to catch it.

But then how would the sponsor get their stubby cooler in the shot? :whistle:

It puts a lot of strain on the jaw, spine and gut of the fish and a fish that size most probably would not have released well and died. It is a shame to see a comp angler doing that to such a big flattie there really was no thought or common sense put into it. Hopefully he is reading this and takes more care next time but congrats to him anyway it was an absolute monster of a flatfish ;)

It seems that the fish swam off quite happily with no damage done fortunately but the message has got through. Hopefully a lot of readers of this thread also will learn something from it. We assume everybody knows these things but the fact is they dont. In the "King of Moreton Bay" Handbook which all entrants get, i have quite specifically included a section on how to handle fish and sucessfully release back into the water. It seems thgis time the fish got lucky!

NT Fisheries biologists have actually run a series of tests on lifting large fish (1m plus Barra) with lip grippers.

Their final results showed no damage to the fish at all.

There was initial spinal curvature caused but it all rectified itself within a week with no harm to the fish.

Belly support is still recommended but its not as bad as we think.

NT Fisheries biologists have actually run a series of tests on lifting large fish (1m plus Barra) with lip grippers.

Their final results showed no damage to the fish at all.

There was initial spinal curvature caused but it all rectified itself within a week with no harm to the fish.

Belly support is still recommended but its not as bad as we think.

Yes i have read that report sometime ago myself. However by giving some belly support it doesnt harm the fish and may well help to prevent injury in a lot of cases so best to do it.

It puts a lot of strain on the jaw, spine and gut of the fish and a fish that size most probably would not have released well and died. It is a shame to see a comp angler doing that to such a big flattie there really was no thought or common sense put into it. Hopefully he is reading this and takes more care next time but congrats to him anyway it was an absolute monster of a flatfish ;)

We said Ants !!

Great fish but poor effort by the angler handling the fish!!!

As their sponsor I'm sure you find this frustrating as it can affect the brand!! I'm sure you gave the lads a good talking too!!

It's not even an Austackle Stubby cooler!

Yep wasn't having a crack at Austackle, just thought it may be time for Engel to fork out for a patch on the shirt. Good to hear that there has been some research done on this, but I still think the fish has been through enough and a crook back for a week isnt gonna help it survive. If you plan to release a fish, may as well give it the best chance of surviving

Engel actually sponsor the tournament. It's also like a mystery item to prove the fish was caught on the day just like mystery items used in the afo comps

It's not even an Austackle Stubby cooler!

Yep wasn't having a crack at Austackle, just thought it may be time for Engel to fork out for a patch on the shirt. Good to hear that there has been some research done on this, but I still think the fish has been through enough and a crook back for a week isnt gonna help it survive. If you plan to release a fish, may as well give it the best chance of surviving

wow this has got some attention!! im sure the fish was fine :) less damage done than a fish dropping off your hook and hitting the deck of the boat/jetty or de hooked and just tossed back in the drink disorientated :ohmy: i think this has happened to all of us at one stage dont you....i think most people here wish they could catch one that big...

[quote name="Orca" post=360034

enough said about the handling..its been well and truly answered and dealt with i think.

Agreed! Congrats to the angler on a great fish! that's an awesome flatty by anyones standards' date=' and good to see the Austackle gear in action.

Yep an awesome Flatty and on a light fireblade rod. It takes some skill to land a big one like that on light gear.

wow this has got some attention!! im sure the fish was fine :) less damage done than a fish dropping off your hook and hitting the deck of the boat/jetty or de hooked and just tossed back in the drink disorientated :ohmy: i think this has happened to all of us at one stage dont you....i think most people here wish they could catch one that big...

Hark ...i hear the voice of reason!

Sounds like an awesome comp well done to Austackle for the catch photo and release competion these are the way of the future

Yeah i agree Tugger. If nothing else this article has highlighted the need to take care when handling fish. Ive seen many many photos on here of Bass for example just lying on a river bank covered in twigs and crap whilst having its photo taken, plenty of fish being photographed on DRY brag mats - the list of potential harmful things could go on and on if i was that way inclined. Main thing is people try their best to return the fish unharmed to the water to give it the best possible chnacveof survival

Archived