Unsafe waters in Brisbane to eat fish

Gordo

Hi everyone

Just asking everyones opinion on whether you think eating fish from the pinkenbar/port brisbane area is deemed unsafe or not. I mention catching and eating fish from that area to my friends and brothers and they all say they wouldn't eat anything caught around there. I figured if the fish can survive there they must be fine to eat plus i don't eat fish from there that often.

Does anyone think its unsafe eating fish caught in the Pinkenbar/Port of Brisbane area?

Gordo, we fished the mouth at the new sea wall and up river to the sunken wall for a full day last week and got a good few legal bream and whiting, cooked and ate the lot at didn't evacuate my bowels so all is good for the fish that come and go i reckon.

Me I'll never eat fish out of the river, others do, dont seem to worried about long term effects.

If your a pregnant women, or imuno supressed I'd definately give it a miss. If not, and you dont mind risking heavy metal poisoning, go for it.

Used to give bream from sunken wall away 30 years ago but should be ok now if in doubt divide fish in half and give half to neighbours. If they say g'day in morning should be ok to eat your half.

Years ago fish from river used to have high mercury levels but now ok.

Ray

Yeh i have always worried about cumulative poisoning from heavey metals and such, especially in stuff like crabs that live in the river their whole lives. Next time I catch a good size crab i was thinking about having it tested at the CSIRO or something.

Cheers, Joel

rayke1938 wrote:

Used to give bream from sunken wall away 30 years ago but should be ok now if in doubt divide fish in half and give half to neighbours. If they say g'day in morning should be ok to eat your half.

Years ago fish from river used to have high mercury levels but now ok.

Ray

:laugh: nice 1 Ray :laugh:

Hmmm I'm not sure if I like the idea of mullet from there!

Beware of the cigar fish

Caught a nice size flathead years ago fishing near luggage point...no kidding it was as black as the ace of spades and its a wonder it didn't have 3 eyes.

One Guy was catching huge mullet right at the sewerage outlet by the hessian bag full using a 3 prong jag. what he did with them I dont know but I haven't touched mullet since

Swore I'd never go near the place again.

i think that little voice most people hear that says dont eat anything out of the river has some merit, given the choice i catch mine from cleaner waters.

unfortunately we dont have the same control with a lot of other foods and unkowingly probably eat worse than what comes out of the river at times.

theres test results on the net from maroochy river, it was a lot of reading and very detailed itsa wonder it hasnt been done for the brissy.

I recall years ago when they tried to ban flake (gummy or school shark) for fears of the mercury levels they contained :S

as it turned out you would have to eat it 3x a day 5 days a week for 20 odd years to ingest enough mercury to kill you :pinch:

I eat fish out of the river and don't glow in the dark :silly:

Gaz

Mercury is a very insidious heave metal it can cause nerve damage and also genetic damage in vey low concentrations. There was a report of higher than normal mercury readings in bass from the Hinze last year. I wrote to the health minister re this and did not even get a reply.

I would definatly NOT eat any shellfish from the Brisbane river.

Ray

The company I work for do water quailty testing on the river (near the mouth)as well as Cabbage Tree Creek and Manly Harbour and there have been significant improvements over the last few years which is good news for us that regularly eat fish from those areas.

Archived