New boating regulations at Lake Somerset

Terry H

An article in the Sunday Mail today (24/06/2007) on page 49 has mentioned new regulations with regards to boating (and the effects on water skiing/jet skis).

It does not mention when they will be introduced, but there will be a 6 knot limit in the northern half of the dam. So far, there is no restrictions for the rest of the dam, however the article mentioned that if there is no significant inflows in the next 3 months it's expected there will be a further closure including the whole dam to skiing and jet skis.

Did you see the tiny little yellow bit on the far right hand side which is the designated jet ski area?

I am sure jet skis have their place on the water, the further away the better, but it really is only the majority that spoils it for the minority!

I thought I read it starts in 6 days time. A trip to the SEQLD Water website would clear that up.

Ohh.. 'Dam'. I was hoping that was thier little area, all to themselves and the more sedate users can enjoy the rest.

Ok.. just back from the SEQWater site and new laws take effect from 25th June. No water skiing or jet skiing will be possible in the norhtern section of lake. The southern half of the lake will remain open for skiing for the immediate future.

I suppose 'skiing' can cover both activities... 'Dam'

Archived