Left Handed Reels for Right Handers

Dan23

Just thought I'd ask people's opinion on right handers using reels left handed. My old man has a light spinning combo which is left anded and it is great for working lures because you can cast and then wind without changing hands. It took me a few sessions to really get the hang of it but now I don't even notice the difference. Has anyone tried this out with heavier rigs or overheads?? Does it feel weird? It seems like a much more logical way to go. Also is it possible to convert most reels to switch winding sides?

I fish equally well both ways, I am left handed, but learnt to fish right handed, until Alvey made \"conversion kits\" when I was about 15, then I fished left handed for years.

I do mostly fish winding with my right hand these days, but that is because of old injuries to my wrists.

Most people actually fish incorrectly from an ergonomic point of view, right handers should wind with the left hand, and visa versa!

I think there is confusion over what qualifies as right and left handed reels.

You should hold the rod in your strong arm.

Many people have the misconception that reeling requires stength and thus requires the dominant hand. This is false.

The rod should be used as an extension of your preferred hand, and the reels mechanics should do the rest of the work for you.

Overall to clarify, i am left handed, so i hold my rod in the left hand, and reel with my right. Therefore there is never any need to change over hands after casting, and i have full dexterious control of my rod handling.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/07/04 21:17

Didnt know there were stil left handed people on this earth?

I have always held the rod in my left ahd wound with my right without a a great issue. But after what Angus has posted, I will swap a reel over and try it in 'reverse'.

Then there are those people who must have changed hands often and can wind equally well with both hands!

I read an interesting article on this by Starlo only yesterday. I will try and find the link. But in the meantime he was saying that when you cast with a spin rod your hand is in the same position it would be to work a lure or fight a fish. Therefore the most efficient way to wind is with the other hand.

With baitcasters however when you cast your hand isn't in the ideal position to fight a fish. Therefore the most efficient way to use a b/c is to cast with the right hand and then grip the rod correctly with the left and wind with the right.

Hope that makes sense.....Hiho hiho to find a link I go.....

bigtez wrote:

Here tis

/>http://sportsfish.com.au/fishing/lure-fishing/left-or-right.html

I think he sums it up best in the last paragraph -

PLEASE YOURSELF!

As the old song goes; \"If you can't please everybody, you might as well please yourself\". This is as true when discussing fishing as it is in most other areas of life.

I know some awfully good anglers whose chosen fishing styles run completely counter to every argument I've put forward in this article - and who still catch plenty of fish!

The bottom line is that you need to be happy with your gear, and comfortable with the ways you've chosen to use it. That's far more important in the long run than abiding by any \"rules\" put forward by so-called experts!

All the same, I hope I've given you a few interesting things to think about in this special feature, and to discuss with your mates. Please donÕt hesitate to disagree with me and do it your own way if you wish - after all, it's a free world!

bigtez wrote:

I read an interesting article on this by Starlo only yesterday. I will try and find the link. But in the meantime he was saying that when you cast with a spin rod your hand is in the same position it would be to work a lure or fight a fish. Therefore the most efficient way to wind is with the other hand.

With baitcasters however when you cast your hand isn't in the ideal position to fight a fish. Therefore the most efficient way to use a b/c is to cast with the right hand and then grip the rod correctly with the left and wind with the right.

Hope that makes sense.....Hiho hiho to find a link I go.....

this is how i've allways done it too spin rods in the right hand and baitcasters in the left.

winding a baitcaster with my left hand just feels wrong,i've bought 2 arseabout bait casters over the years but never been able to make it feel right

• 2 weeks later...

Archived