Japanese certate?

ironmike

Hi guys,

First true post on here...any help would be muchly appreciated.

Just after some help with regards to buying a reel from o/s.

After much deliberation I have decided to buy a certate 2500R...

I am wondering if there pros / cons to buying this reel from Japan - digitaka.co.jp in particular...the main factor for me is the price, but warranty etc have all crossed my mind...

Or is there a post with this info that i have missed...

Any help would go a long way for me :)

Cheers everyone!

Welcome to the site.

If you need to claim a warranty you would have to send it back to Japan.

The sad part about Australia is most times you can send an item back overseas and have it returned quicker than you will get it done here.

Shimano do offer a 12 mth warranty on overseas purchases but I think all the other companies won't entertain any warranty backup support at all.

In regards to buying overseas (Japan) then having to send it back to Japan - i got my exist from tackle warehouse and on a warranty claim had to be sent back there anyway. certain certates ALL get sent back overseas too.. depends how much you are spending?

if its a considerable amount - i'd just pay a lil extra for the peace of mind :)

^^ I picked up an exist from the USA and when I chucked it in for a service here in Aus the Daiwa guys apparently could tell it wasn't an AU version (serial number?) and decided to charge me $140 for my service because it wasn't bought here.

You shouldn't have any quality concerns and if trends are anything to go by, there have been HEAPS of people buying high end reels overseas and I've seen minimal drama and fuss around from it.

^^ I picked up an exist from the USA and when I chucked it in for a service here in Aus the Daiwa guys apparently could tell it wasn't an AU version (serial number?) and decided to charge me $140 for my service because it wasn't bought here.

You shouldn't have any quality concerns and if trends are anything to go by, there have been HEAPS of people buying high end reels overseas and I've seen minimal drama and fuss around from it.

srsly? what a load of b.s. i couldn't imagine that you'd need any different grease and/or bearings whether domestic, JDM, etc.

cheers for the help guys!!

its a lot steeper for servicing O/S reels, but probably a lot cheaper to buy --> so they get you on the round-a-bout either way.

might be worth forking out a bit more $$ initially to save in the long run with servicing and also have peace of mind.

might call daiwa sydney and ask why its so much more expensive to service OS reels...cos its B/S they are allowed to do that

Cheers everyone!

They only bend you over and take advantage of you because they dont like reels being bought from overseas.

The reason why Daiwa are more expensive to service is because they dont shim their bearings and tolerances aren't adjustable so torque wrenches are used to tighten up the screws so the reel bodies dont distort.

Personally i recon it's a load of crap, sure the screws need to be tensioned...but jezz that sort of price is criminal.

cheers for the help guys!!

its a lot steeper for servicing O/S reels, but probably a lot cheaper to buy --> so they get you on the round-a-bout either way.

might be worth forking out a bit more $$ initially to save in the long run with servicing and also have peace of mind.

might call daiwa sydney and ask why its so much more expensive to service OS reels...cos its B/S they are allowed to do that

Cheers everyone!

Would love to hear their response :pinch:

Have bought all my Daiwas locally at very little more cost than OS.

As well as the Certate have had numerous warranty claims on other reels.

TDS 2000CU main bearing at 4 years replaced and serviced under warranty no cost.

Airity 2000 antireverse bearing replaced and serviced under warranty no cost.

Luvias 2500 antireverse bearing twice replaced and serviced under warranty no cost.

Saltiga 3500 Game handle play at join replaced under warranty no cost.

Bent bail arm at line roller on 2500 Steez (my fault)replaced at half price.

No complaints what so ever about their service or warranty on locally bought reels.

bought the certate from tackle warehouse today...this should eliminate any problems that may have risen fron buying O/S

gotta love the 20% off sales haha i picked it up for roughly what it cost on digitaka website :lol:

i recommend going in to TW if ur in the market for a new reeel / rod, be quick as its store stock only....

big thanks for all the help guys!

tight lines :)

I went there yesterday to get a Stella 5000 and they were sold out, sold 5 on the first day.

Ended up getting a Certate Hyper Custom 4000 for $620 and that's less than most people are selling them second hand and $30 less than Digitaka so a good score.

Bought a 2500 Caldia from Digitaka a few weeks back and is a heap cheaper than anything here though so it pays to shop around.

Have also bought a Certate 2500R Custom from overseas and had the bearing collapse and shft bent, ended up taking it to a guy near Archerfield and he did a great job on the repair and upgraded some bushes for bearings and added Carbotex drag washers all for $65 (this is for a non mag sealed Certate though).

Archived