North west island coral trout :D

J-DOG115

Great report and great pics mate!! enjoyed the read B) in pic 8 at the end of the mat one maybe two of the trout must have come close to being under size? remember with a spear you can select before shooting, i would be shooting the bigger ones like you did and not risk shooting possible legals ;):)

Great report and great pics mate!! enjoyed the read B) in pic 8 at the end of the mat one maybe two of the trout must have come close to being under size? remember with a spear you can select before shooting, i would be shooting the bigger ones like you did and not risk shooting possible legals ;):)

Fair enough call. At least one of the redthroat is undersized as well.

Mod Note

Legal Size for Coral Trout and Redthroat Emperor is 38cm minimum.

Whilst I can see there is some doubt as to the size of the Coral trout with the angle on the mat etc I think there is little doubt a couple of the redthroat are undersize.

Due to the nature of this type of fishing I concede there are inherent difficulties in sizing your capture before killing them, however erring on the conservative side seems the best way to avoid making a mistake, thus helping to ensure plenty for next time.

Members, it has now been said so let's leave it alone for the rest of the thread. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joel

Great report looks like you had an awesome holiday.

I looked into going there a few years ago but was put off by a couple of blokes I spoke to at the time.

They had horror stories regarding getting off the bardge swamped boats etc.

Can you let us know a bit about the logistics of getting there.

Things like the name of the bardge company, do they drop you at the beach or out behind the reef.

What would be the biggest boat that you would take out there and do they tow them or are they loaded on the bardge.

I can see in one of the photos most of the boats look about 4 to 4.5m.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Joel

Great report looks like you had an awesome holiday.

I looked into going there a few years ago but was put off by a couple of blokes I spoke to at the time.

They had horror stories regarding getting off the bardge swamped boats etc.

Can you let us know a bit about the logistics of getting there.

Things like the name of the bardge company, do they drop you at the beach or out behind the reef.

What would be the biggest boat that you would take out there and do they tow them or are they loaded on the bardge.

I can see in one of the photos most of the boats look about 4 to 4.5m.

Cheers

Tim

yeah mate no worries ill get some info for ya and pm you sometime this week

joel

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...