unstoppables at the rock

straddiebrad

I am going back to the dark side of fishing for a day to see if I can't get one out.

What I am curious at though is how many of these fish are down there.

By the sounds of things an awful lot of fish were hooked up and lost on Sat alone and just about every fish was left with a hook and trace in their mouth yet they still kept coming one after another for everyone.

What ever they are it must be a massive school of fish.

First problem I can see is being anchored up with mono and fishing so close to the structure the odds are never going to be on your side. When anchored the initial stretch in the mono no matter the strength of it or drag applied will allow the fish a fair degree of movement and the ability to reef you fairly easily. As for stopping them who knows, drifting through the area running 30lb briad on a suitable setup would certainly increase your odds as your pulling the fish away from the structure whilst drifting and braid has zero stretch, only problem is you might not get the hookup in the first place so its a catch 22 situation. I've drifted through there plenty of times throwing lures and have yet to encounter an unstoppable so anchoring and baiting seems to bring them on and has anyone ever considered big cod as the culprit as there's a few of them around that area.

Cheers

Mark

My mate was using 60lb braid on a levder drag overhead reel while we were drifting and could not stop them other mates have had 80lb braid outfits locked up and can't stop them from time to time i've pulled them out and they tend to be either cobia or yellow tail kingies or big green jobfish

We use 30 lb braid 40 lb leader

Any heavier we get next to no bites.

My mate fished heavey yesterday he got 1 bite whole time we there that took him straight into reef with lock drag on stella 10000.

I have started using 4-5 meters of trace now. We nearly got 1 yesterday it went straight in reef we gave slack n it came out minute we put pressure it went back. We could feel it tryna make its way more into reef. As soon as it hits braid it gets cut off.

I got a feeling its big parrot fish but we never know until someone dives there or lands one.

I saw one boat yesterday at middle reef with a small parachute anchor.he was drifting over reef with it. We tried to drift over but reef too but current pushed us off reef to fast. I reckon they had their baits in the strike zone longer than us. Fish were on edge of reef on tide change.

Im going to get one of those n try it over boat rock. It might work or might not.

Atm we are fishing boat rock anchored n we let out about 150 to 200 meters of line to get a decent bite. Its only 30 meters of water though

We use colour coated braid n we can see we get bites at the same place every drop.

Another problem with floatlining i foundbis you give fish too much fline. Your fighting them in 30-35 meters of water with 150-200 meters line of your spool. I rekon thats why they go in reef.

Once you know where they are n if you can Drift over them without letting too much line out to get your bait in strike zone i reckon theres

a chance of landing one.

Thats what i think. Im going to give a try next time im out there too see if it works if not back to square one.

Shane

I am going back to the dark side of fishing for a day to see if I can't get one out.

What do you mean Lance?

I have some special Kingfish troll lines left over from my commercial days.

I am going to run them around the area for a few hours and see if they work there and I know that if I can get them to take the lines I will get them out. :P:P:P

It's specilized gear for the big rogue Kings and Jacks,ect that we used to catch down in NSW.

What do you mean Lance?

I am going to run them around the area for a few hours and see if they work there and I know that if I can get them to take the lines I will get them out. :P:P:P

It's specilized gear for the big rogue Kings and Jacks,ect that we used to catch down in NSW.

ive got my hand up for the first deckie spot for that trip!!

What do you mean Lance?

Ok cool. If ya need a hand I'd be keen, sounds very intersting!!!

There are some big cod there.

Also get BIG Tuskfish there Blackspots grow to over a meter Blues to 80cm IMO the hardest fish to get out of structure, they have some serious power just head straight to and as deep as they can get into any crack or or hole which due to there sleeping habits they know intimately. Once home lock themselves in with their operculum, never landed a big one only a couple of low sixties even on heavy 50lb braid outfit. Make reef Jacks look like pussies.

I would try drifting with the motor on over the ground with livies and try the gentle gentle technique it may seem strange but when you go lighter on the beasts they don't panic as much . It feels weird trying to slowly lead them away but I have done this many times down south on kings . Worth a try if brute force doesn't work .

i was using two set ups 1 with 50lb braid and 60 lb leader and the other was 80lb braid and 100lb leader,leader size was about 2 meters,all on full drag and getting peeled off with ease so will try on a light drag and quick release anchor and try keeping the line off the reef,

quick release anchor will go along way i reckon, that way u can try fight the fish up and down. the 200 metres of line u have to let out to get the fish to bite whilst at anchor is what kills me. the odds are against you straight away considering all they have to do is swim down and ur done, which is whats happening to me.

we had a bloody good day out off point lookout today bagged out on snapper lost a few fish on heavy gear nothing at the bouy mixed bag at middel reef found most of fish behind boat rock lost a few good fish there . to rough to anchor off sevens but well worth a wet ass for the day could only drift behind boat rock but to land some of those good fish there its got me stumped but still fun hooking up . and the other good point of the day was only one other boat in the area .

dont think wire would work but maybe time to give it a try

Brad,

Not to sure on your individual situation but I can speak from personal experience only. When dealing with reef nasties there are a few things that can be your worst enemy but you can work around.

The amount of line you have out at times gives you very little chance whether you are using braid or mono. It does not take much effort for a fish that is that way inclined to bury you in the reef in the time that it takes you to strike on the fish or take the slack out of the line.

The angle that your line is at when you have a lot of line out also works against you, not only getting reefed but also rubbing off on the side of the fish. A couple of casts from where you are fishing is a hang out for some GT's the size of dinner tables, if you are not directly above them and they don't rub you off, they will break your line with the flutes on their tail. These are very sharp and I have had 300lb leader worn off by these, when you get the line back it feels ruffed up like you have been reefed.

Even though I 100% drift if any one hooks a decent fish that they think they may struggle with we get on top of it as soon as possable, this really minimises your chances of being reefed as your line is verticle not rubbing on the fish or reef. We have very good success with this method, with dirty fighters such as 30kg GT, 24kg cobia and 15kg king fish, amongst many others all landed in nasty terrain in as little as 15 metres of water using only 30lb braid with 30lb leader. Also using this technique the leader length only needs to cover the maximum length of the fish that you are chasing.

Hopefully some of this might have helped, I know the styles of fishing we do are very different but principles are the same, hope you start landing these unstoppable, but if you land everything the lure of the one that got away won't be so strong.

Andrew

IMO i still think they are either big kingies or cobia as there is so many strikes in the 1 session from mutiple boats some days it can be60 plus bust offs from all the boats in our group.

So to me its large schools of them and i have pulled a few of them out and boated to see them in amougst the bust off and they all fought the same bringing me to this conclusion.

Both types of kingfish are strong enough to do this and the divers there have told me they have seen them hooked from our boats and head straight into the reef with our lines.

Myself i'm not changing my method as i do pull the odd 1 out and i'm mainly after snapper to begin with and the floatlining is the best way of getting them

With my floatlinging i only use 30lb mono straight to the circle hook so if there's a bust off they should be hooked in the corner of the mouth so they can shake it out easy

brad, i have got anything you can thing of to stop most fish, anything from spin reels spooled with 80lb to overheads spooled with 80lb, and if that doesnt pull them up, i have got afew 80's their i can put 130lb line of just for it :silly: :silly: :silly:

mate seeing that you have done lots for me, its time to return the favour. tell me what you want and i can drop it of to you the night befor you go out.

all this talk is making me more and more keen to head out there. Might need to tag along with someone though as I've never crossed the bar in my rig before(quintrex spirit 520 with etec 90)... I've got my saltiga with 90lb and 32kg drag and have a rig to secure it to the boat just in case :P

Cam

all this talk is making me more and more keen to head out there. Might need to tag along with someone though as I've never crossed the bar in my rig before(quintrex spirit 520 with etec 90)... I've got my saltiga with 90lb and 32kg drag and have a rig to secure it to the boat just in case :P

Cam

Tonnes big enough mate, we saw a 12ft glass open boat out there a while ago, alsosafety in numbers. Just follow Shane out, he's only got a 4.65. You'll get some MASSIVE air as well if his last crossing was anything to go by :evil: :evil: I still have a giggle everytime I think about it, zigzagging everywhere then decides this is boring and gets some massive hangtime over a sharp breaker, then holds it flat to get to the rock first.

Great show mate.

Cam

i have been there with a 4.2 with a 40 on the back so you will be more then fine just have to pick your days.brad

if I leave from the river, is it best to go around the cape or head for south passage?

Also I know this may be asking alot, but any co-ords willing to share?

thanks

Cam

Mate you mean go around cape moreton then down to boat rock. That is a long haul. If you did that you'd want to hit the reefs along the way. Been interested in hitting tempest but never had a nice enough day.

Quickest looks like leaving from cleveland, south around peel then through south passage, just need to pick yout day. You also miss a lot of shallow sand that way.

Boat rock is also on nearly every map, MBMP map and even google map/earth I think

if I leave from the river, is it best to go around the cape or head for south passage?

Also I know this may be asking alot, but any co-ords willing to share?

thanks

Cam

Cameron youl be fine.I make it out there on good days

Like regulated said leave cleveland. Its easiest n closest. I reckon boat rock is closer than curtain from river.

If you like carrying another 50 liters extra leave river than lol.

Roscos right i wouldnt bother going this week in our our boats. Weathers not the greatest. You dont want to be like my mate. He left his diginity at spb on saturday. Hassled me to go back in bay all day lol

Hang around in bay the mackerel are back just matter of finding them now or back to jigging beacons

Il be out on saturday

Il see you out if you come

Shane

Archived