General warning to members

Do$tylz

Ok Guys,

Here is a general warning to some particular members of AFO. You will know who you are.

Please refrain from posting dumb/lazy/unresearched/nonsensical/stirring/trolling posts or threads.

That goes for creating a thread or even replying to it.

If you're thinking about creating a thread to ask a question, think about it first, research on AFO first, then post if its genuine.

If you're reading a thread and you see it's just a waste of space LEAVE IT ALONE! Don't add fuel to the fire, don't post other nonsense. Hit the report to mod so we can lock/delete immediately.

We've all had our fun (don't get me wrong, I've been laughing along at some of it) but genuinely, you guys are dragging down the general vibe here on AFO and the last few weeks has even driven me to avoid the site at times. I will gladly e-slap anyone continuing to post any of the listed and will gladly come over and real-slap anyone that I actually know if they continue with this rubbish that they've been filling AFO with.

/rant.

Thanks

After looking at whats been going on and the type of people that I have seen on this site lately, I meen some of the newer people, AFO should have a joining fee, even if its only $20 per year for the first 2 years, and then free after that, I think that would stop some of the people that come on here, why would they want to waste $20 especially when they don't have $20.

That fee would go towards maintaining the site, Help keep loosers out, and maybe keep the spam down, if they get kicked out and want to come back in, they must prove them self's to the elders, (the guys that have been here the longest) and pay a fine.

There are alot of good people on here, and some very young and some very old, and most of the time, there is alot of useful information, but it just takes the 1 or 2 people to ruin a good site.

Oh, I don't know. When I read some of these epics it makes me reflect upon how proud I am to be a tax payer. I can rest easy at night knowing I have helped contribute to the fostering of our next generation of literary giants. This revolution in education presumably translates to ceasing teaching English and replacing that old fashioned fogie with something more suitable such as "IPad for Idiots" (was wagging class the day they did the spell checker bit). I probably paid for the IPad as well, getting all warm and fuzzy now. So, I think a fee for being a member of the forum, while prima facie (you might not find that in your Ipad kids, it means "at first glance") it has some merit, would deprive them of a way to practice there IPadlish along with the opportunity to impress with their brilliant wit and razor sharp insights.

PS - Don't get me wrong. Banter is fine.

Just the baiting, throat jumping, stupid questions, rude comments etc will not be tolerated until the forum is back to normal.

I will wield my keyboard like a warrior people. Don't make me do it.

also... charging people $20 would still not weed out repeat offenders. We don't get many 1-off idiots. Look how many posts a certain bird/fruit-boy had. He would have paid $50 membership if he was allowed to continue to post his useless 2 cents.

BUT - don't let this thread turn into a "membership fee" thread. That's not what this is about.

+1 for the mods doing a good job. Myself included, sometimes you read something that gets your back up and just HAVE to give a curt or even slightly abusive response to it. It works well though that mods lock it when it starts getting out of hand when people's blood starts boiling.

Have to say this is one of the better forums i visit. There is far less dribble and backstabbing occuring here in comparison to others. Never mind my england, i dropped out of school in year 10 to serve my country and us nuckle dragging mechanics dont spoke well let alone good spell english. I recon there needs to be anouther rule herte though, if you cant poke fun at yourself and take what you are putting out then a public rodgering is in order. Just my 1c worth (cant afford 2c i own a boat lol)

Ok Guys,

Here is a general warning to some particular members of AFO. You will know who you are.

Yer a lot of rubbish things going through this site at the moment :S

You sure they know who they are?? Haha

was thinking the same thing. Funny, 1st reply on this thread too. I'm more than happy to see 2 certain members removed from this site. Constant dribble and continual pointless posts and threads.

What about account suspensions to prevent logging in and posting for 1week, with increasing duration for continual posting of rubbish?

It would stop trolls replying to their own thread and fueling the discussion. Also some timeout to reflect on what kind of postings are in the best interest of the community and not just themselves.

I think banning is a bit harsh, but maybe you can help reform people this way.

My 2c

Ok Guys,

Yer a lot of rubbish things going through this site at the moment :S

You sure they know who they are?? Haha

was thinking the same thing. Funny, 1st reply on this thread too. I'm more than happy to see 2 certain members removed from this site. Constant dribble and continual pointless posts and threads.

I don't know Dunney.

I really have to take a couple of different things into account:

1. As my wife reminds me while my son is doing everything in his power to prove that he is a 14 year old, I am the adult and regardless of how satisfying it would be to just chuck him through the wall (my dad claims his dad did that to him once :dry: ) I have to be the adult.

2. We tell people to ask questions, but what we really mean is: do some actual research, try to figure things out on your own, then if you are still having trouble, ask me. The problem is that we are not telling this to the new members.

Some of these kids today live in a world of instant gratification. They post on facebook and have attention almost immediately from all of their "friends" so they expect every on line community to behave in the same manner. Seriously, who here under the age of 17 has put a post on facebook that starts with "10 likes and I will" The answer is that none of us have, but I see it all over my kid's facebook page.

To the younger members of this community who have shown themselves to be contributing members: I can understand the almost instinctual need to stand up for yourself when somebody casts dispersions on you when you have worked so hard to build a reputation as a valuable member of the community and I will offer you a piece of advice - take the high road and don't get drawn into the drama.

I went on a bit longer than I meant to....

Archived