deep water spinning reel

Oceandonkey

can anyone recommend an affordable spinning reel for deep water action for the girlfriend. Alot of the reels i have seen on EBAY only have a 150m line capacity for not a great breaking strain.

Is it possible to get one, or do you really need the overheads for this stuff. Its just i cant see the gf using one (overhead) without ruining my day 10 times in that very same day with birds nests lol

I've been using the Pflueger Contender spinning reels for everything from spinning tuna to jigging kingies for years. Absolutely love them; great drags, rugged, comfy handles, etc. Don't cost an arm and leg either. MO Tackle have them for about $120. Several sizes available from little 7535 for 4kg up to 7580 for 12kg +. I use the 7560 for most of my high speed spin on the bay.

[img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/7560.jpg

Post edited by: Schultzy, at: 2007/08/02 15:19

post-108-144598422817_thumb.jpg

thanks mate thats just the price i was looking around so unless anyone else has any other suggestion ill probably run with the biggest one at $169 though with 4 of us buying deep water gear from tackleworld im hoping they might give us some discounts for spending like $2500 + in one hit for rods, reels, lines, lures and everything else i dream of.

mackmauler wrote:

spinning reels do suck in deep water, deep is 70m plus, the gears just dont turn its rather like riding a bike up a steep hill in high gear. anyone can use a tld 25 etc, i believe its even possible a woman could use one lol

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're a smooth talking charmer MM. That's for sure.B)

nice choice Schultzy, i run with nothing but pflugeur contenders, offshore though love the overhead contenders, i have the star and lever drag, my mates want to break it on me (the star) because it wins every single trip, (yes i am compettitive, even though i cant spell it)

Oceandonkey, in the same price range as the pflueger is the Okuma eclipz ez-90 ..hold 360 metres 12kg.

I use one for surf fishing and cant recommend it highly enough.

great heavy duty salwater reel and the drag is brilliant.

cheers

Why would you want the dogfight? I highly recommend not getting high speed retreival for deep water fishing. The saltiga expedition would be more appropriate but is still an overkill. The smaller Saltiga will do the job just fine. I`m looking at getting the 3500 for myself. It`s a real industrial looking piece of equipment. Totally spec`d up too

jeff f wrote:

shimano tss4 tough,plenty of line capacity, round $175.oo if you shop arount

I bought my father a tss4 on a backbone rod for $150. Best bloody real mate. Ol` faithful. Caught me some ripper spaniards and a heap of tuna too. I very much recommend this reel. Don`t know about the high retreival rate for deep water though. It can get very painful having to crank like that.

Post edited by: Nastymind, at: 2007/08/03 19:38

Nastymind wrote:

jeff f wrote:
shimano tss4 tough,plenty of line capacity, round $175.oo if you shop arount[/quote

I bought my father a tss4 on a backbone rod for $150. Best bloody real mate. Ol` faithful. Caught me some ripper spaniards and a heap of tuna too. I very much recommend this reel. Don`t know about the high retreival rate for deep water though. It can get very painful having to crank like that.

pump and wind, pump and wind.

met a fella that had had his hand amputated,held his rod in the crook of his elbow, he used them for deep bottom bashing and swore by them. he said he'd tried about 10 different reels when he lost his hand and they were the easiest thing he'd found

get a stiff enough rod the pump and wind is ok, wind quick on the downstroke as the rod unloads, take the pressure off the gears. not the best for keeping a tight line on say a soft mouth fish such as a perlie, this was never a competitive situation by the sounds of things OD dont expect too much.

Overheads are the way to go these 2 old girls left ABU 12 the other is A Penn Jigmaster both over 30 yr old and both still going strong and I might mention caught sharks tuna and all sorts of uglie things :silly: from both surf /rocks and boat :P

hope this pic works as I 'm using photobucket to host them

DSC00139AFO.jpg

Gaz

Yeah spinning reels suck for deep water.

Give your girl a go with an overhead and you might be surprised. She'll probably have less bird nesting issues than most blokes.

My girl handled using one of my tyrnos reels no problems at all. She caught a nice pearly.

I know that, but some people have difficulty judging how far it is down in the water. It is just easier if (for atleast the first couple of days) they keep their thumb on the spool. Then with more experience and use, they can start using it more efficiently. Just a thought.

Archived