whos catching tailor

bennyl

Don't need a boat, head southbound over the Pine Rivers Bridge and pull up on the left just after you go over the bridge, you can walk down to the river from there, You can also fish landbased off the fishing platform of the Hornibrook Bridge, accessed from Clontarf at Redcliffe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woody1

ok, thanks for enlightening me.

Hey, Woody1. last time I went over the Hornybrook Bridge that bridge people use to fish off was removed, that was on the port side heading towards Clontarf. Which fishing platform of the Hornybrook Bridge are you talking about?

As far as I know of there is no fishing allowed on the new bridge.

Chewbacoo

Woody1,

I was under the impression no pedestrian are allowed to walk on that new bridge due to vehicle traffic

This is the fishing platform. I think it was built in lieu of the old wooden bridge they dismantled. It's probably more than 1km walking from either end.

/>http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-27.275294,153.071233&ll=-27.275294,153.071233&z=19&t=h&nmd=20120731

cboy69,

Ok, thanks for that, no wonder I did not see it. I would assume there would be a pedestrian footpath on the side where the fishing platform is located. As you say, it's bit of a hike.

You would need a trolley of some description and a lot of rope if you plan to go sand crabbing (if sand crabs are in that section).

Thanks, Chewbacoo

Yep thats the pine I meant, went down this mornig....nothing. You will know when they are around as you will see them chopping up the baitfish at the top of the water. If you see no chopping up/chasing within 1/2 hr, forget it, try deeper mid to lower water for jew and flatties. This area gets bashed a bit, gotta do the harder hrs for any success and even that is not guaranteed . Good luck. Any one else got any recent (like today or yesterday tailor reports ?

i spent a whole day out there the other day. all i got was bream and flattys and i didnt see the chopper breaking the surface. they were going nuts at the mouth of tingalpa creek and mouth of the canals at birkdale. i was fishing when no one was there mid week like 11pm pulled in 3 tailor about the 45cm mark each spot

Had a go at NarrowNeck Sat night 18/08 and Sunday 19/08

The plan for the first day was to take a friend out so he could practice worming. we left Eight Mile Plains about 2pm but due to multiple accidents on the road we didn't get there till after 4pm. We started worming 100-200m south of the southPort SLSC and then moved about 500m north to fish better gutters. Towards dusk quite a few people starting showing up and setting up for Tailor. My friend got a solid Bream 34cm to the fork and a smaller but legal. And that was all we caught until 9pm when we gave up. In that time we only saw 1 Tailor caught amongst all the fisho's also. We headed into the canals and fished beach worms for very little success I managed a tiny moses perch to save me from the dreaded donut. :P

So Sunday I headed out by myself to practice worming and maybe hit the Bream as I had little hope for Tailor after the previous night. I wormed for about an hour and started fishing at about 5pm. Nothing was biting and I noticed people around me getting tailor so I put away the worms and raced back to the car to get the pilchards from the Esky.

I set up my ganged hooks and threw on the Pilchards and got hit straight away, After a few hours of many missed strikes I managed to scrape in with 6 legals. The biggest is roughly 50cm to the fork (possibly longer but they don't measure accurately with their spine snapped and rigor mortis set in).

Whilst at NarrowNeck I spoke to 3 people who all reported MASSIVE numbers of tailor about 4days ago in the 2kg+ sizes towards the pumping jetty also. I was also told the fisheries did a good job of fining people over their bag limits also. :)

Anyways. I hope that is of some benefit to those chasing the tailor, it looks like they are finally coming into season.

Cheers

Chayya

post-6445-144598843192_thumb.jpg

Congragulations.

Tailor is simply the best fish.

They can breed any size over 20-25cm.

In VIC and NSW size limits are less than in QLD.

Last year it was 30cm but now the Qld website says that it is 35cm and 20 bag limit.

I tried alot but caught no tailor...

I do not have any comment for the fining part....

By the way, Can a good quality Yo Zuri or Outback Blue-White Pilchard or Blue Tiger look minnow/lure (7 or 9cm) work for tailor in day time?

As it is so hard to cast the 9 grams lure we will need a 40-50gm weight and 1-2m line then the lure?

Any ideas?

Hi

Got back from Fraser last week we got a bag or so of tailor between three of us in a couple hours on the first morning. No real size to them most were between 35 & 40cm with the odd better one.

The conditions for the rest of the trip made near impossible to fish due to 30kt plus winds from south and 3m plus swell.

Anyone heading up will see good gutters round Eurong then very average from yiddney to dundebarra. The gutters do improve after Dundebara but nothing special.

The beach was also very flat.

Gutter conditions may have improved by now 1 week on tomorrow.

The tailor are definatly there in numbers too.

Tim

Good! Taking the Saltiga loaded with PE3 up. Hopefully can land a spano, my gear got mailed last year by unknown beasts!

Every decent fish I hooks at night got sharked and my 2000 heartland got spoiled of its 10lb line one arvo throwing a 12g Flasha around.

Can't wait to lock the drag on some of these beasts.

Hit narrow neck again from 6pm to 11pm with a friend and we managed 6 tailor from 36cm to roughly about 40cm

They weren't biting as frequently or aggressively as Sunday.

No photos as I did't want to keep any for myself.

I even attempted to throw the 36cm tailor on as a live bait with a circle hook. Despite being only small for a tailor it was pretty heavy for casting. Perhaps I should have used a fillet? Any suggestions on getting a Jew on the beach would be very happily applied. PM is fine also.. Ezy got me started On some hints and any more would be appreciated.

hows staddie (DUNWICH) going? Heading there this weekend with the boys :P

terrible this season. I've done it a few times with Angus and Manni and it's been terrible. Maybe others have had luck but I haven't seen too much.

Thanks heaps man, don't think we will be go there then might just head down the coast for the night

cboy69,

G'day mate, good to hear some tailor still down at Narrowneck.

Out of curiosity, did you notice what wind direction at the time?

I might go down there tonight.

Cheers, Chewbacoo

The wind was pretty non existent. I took a polar fleece and spray jacket. But had to take the jacket off due to it getting quite warm without the normal beach breezes.

Hi guys, I need a little pointer, arriving in Brisbane Sunday morning, have the bulk of Sunday and the following weekend to try my little medium weight from the shore spinning for Tailor. I have caught many "shad" (South African version of Tailor), but would really like to get into your reputable Aussie version. I'll be in a hotel downtown and will use taxis to take me wherever, but the question I have is - where would you suggest I go?.....cheers!

Hi guys, I need a little pointer, arriving in Brisbane Sunday morning, have the bulk of Sunday and the following weekend to try my little medium weight from the shore spinning for Tailor. I have caught many "shad" (South African version of Tailor), but would really like to get into your reputable Aussie version. I'll be in a hotel downtown and will use taxis to take me wherever, but the question I have is - where would you suggest I go?.....cheers!

From Brisbane your limitations are gonna be your mode of transport.

For a reasonable taxi fair in Brisbane I'm not really sure what you're options are as most of the spinning is done either on the islands, or the surf beaches of the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

terrible this season. I've done it a few times with Angus and Manni and it's been terrible. Maybe others have had luck but I haven't seen too much.

Got a bit of a Dunwich update. This afternoon I was heading back to Dunwich from Amity in the research vessel and I pulled up close to some surface action. Expecting to see mack tuna, I was surprised to see some pretty big tailor hitting the bait fish. They must have been at least 50cm and there seemed to plenty of them.

We caught a few around the mouth of the brissy river and Mud Island last weekend but they seem to be thinning out a bit compared to a month ago. Biggest measuered about 55cm. We had plenty of hits and runs but not alway able to bring them to the boat. Will be going to Fraser at the end of September not sure if they will still be around Waddy point around that time of year.

post-11392-144598844585_thumb.jpg

Got a bit of a Dunwich update. This afternoon I was heading back to Dunwich from Amity in the research vessel and I pulled up close to some surface action. Expecting to see mack tuna, I was surprised to see some pretty big tailor hitting the bait fish. They must have been at least 50cm and there seemed to plenty of them.

ARRarhhhhhhh What to do is the millon dollar question, stuff it go to dunwich seen tomca put a nice report up today and now this

I was fishing straddie (main beach) the week of the 4th to 11th and we were feeding the island :D so we could keep fishing. Had the pick of the gutters to oursleves the first arvo then got spotted the next day as the fish were biting much earlir in the afternoon than is usual. Got to love seagulls :dry:

Things shut down with the big swell coming in and taking out that gutter. The beach became pretty flat and was really only accessable a few hours either side of low.

Wrote flinders off early as alll the gutters sucked first week but were a tad better last week. If you can find a reasonable gutter somewhere close to an exit or campsite on main I would be surprised if you couldn't get onto a few at least. Saw the netters hit a school of tailor on saturday but there were multiple schools coming through so shouldnt matter.

LEE757 chasing tailor from a taxi is a hugely expensive option with no guarantee of success. Sunshine or gold coast is 1 hour north and south, straddie is a barge trip and 4wd ride. Boat into the bay might give you a chance and river landbased would a hit and hope option.

Blue09 a 40gm spanyid raider isn't bad for tossing around during the day in the surf. But as others have said and shiney metal will work pretty well.

Archived