Boat Rock by Kayak

Sparksie

Thanks Mark and Mark for replies. Yeah current would be the big issue.

Mark (PlasticFantastic), nar I hear what your saying. Just put it out there, so you've been candid that it would be hairy etc. so appreciate comments. Wouldn't go out there by myself.

Yeah, Shag rock and Middle Reef would be better.

I don't see a problem at all yakking out to the rock especially with the westerlies hanging around at the moment.

You will soon know if and when you hit the current and if its too strong just turn around and head back in closer.

With the right weather it can as as flat as out there and you would have a chance of getting out onto Boat Rock with no swell around.

You would have some insane fishing sitting on that rock.

I have been there, but can be a washing machine. Only been there on small tides, much better off heading straight out to shag rock for sunrise then middle reef to deeper water as the sun comes up. And don't go too far if the westerlies pick up, it's a long slog back into a headwind. If I get a couple other keen Yakkers to split the cost I will be doing it on Wednesday next week, otherwise just dunwich instead

Can't believe you guys seem to think yakking boat rock would be okay, fair enough pick the right day and with the right kayak and a person on it fit enough to handle it and yeah it could be doable. Pick the wrong day out there and it wouldn't be fun and add into the mix a decent fish on the end of your line towing you towards the wrong area and things could go pear shaped quickly. Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Mark

I think all yak fishing is crazy but hay people do it and if anyone paddles out there they asses whats in front of them and turn around if its to nasty for them i hear of plenty of the guys here paddle out offshore at moloolabah regularly whats the diference

the big difference is the way the water moves around there. Up the Sunny Coast the current and wind push you around a bit but it is fairly consistent. At Boat Rock and the way the headland is situated, the currents rip through and the wind can push you around all over the place. Hiding behind the rock in the eddy is fine, but to get back around the corner to Cylinder Beach with a massive current going the other way would be bloody tough, even for really fit guys.

Shane go on Thursday, I'm going out on my boat with toonie, not sure where yet.

I cant wait to go back

Hopefully weather holds up for Wenesday

Shane

I have work on Thursday. I am free Wenesday thats why im going. You guys can tag along. Wind picks up thursday anyway.

Its going to be long run if you go thursday

Shane

shane think me up a good excuse for not being at work on wednesday and ill come!

Haha say you gotta cook roast at home with the misus in the day time lol.

Oi na seriously try getting it off weather is beautiful.

mate thats not an excuse thats fact, if this roast chicken wasnt in the oven by 4pm id be in the dog house for a week lol

post-8891-144598842662_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598842677_thumb.jpg

p.s sorry to hijack thread lol

I think all yak fishing is crazy but hay people do it and if anyone paddles out there they asses whats in front of them and turn around if its to nasty for them i hear of plenty of the guys here paddle out offshore at moloolabah regularly whats the diference

Couldn't agree more, whilst I haven't kayak fished this area , I've been 6km offshore from Noosa no dramas and with enough research, right day, a good vhf and Epirb couldn't see why Boat rock should be a drama , it actually looks like just the sort of spot I like.

post-10982-14459884269_thumb.jpg

In a Hobie Adventure Island that you go could sail and troll and deal with the current, no probs! that yak is designed for deep sea fishing.

Like others have said defiantly pick your day and have several back up plans in case things go pear shaped. Marine Radio, EPIRB, Mobile Phone, and letting people where you are and when you will be back would be a good starting point!

If that german guy paddled his canoe with that sail all the way from germany to the tip of queensland around the start of ww2 anything is possible.. I wish i could remember his name.. such a champ. He was arrested till the war was over and i think he ended up residing in the north coast of NSW.... correct me if im wrong.

just a proper risk assessment will be the go.

Like most others have said, pick your day, otherwise, you can only blame yourself. Personally, if I hadn't fished the area before, and I was keen to give it a crack, I would try a couple of nursery paddles in some swell/conditions that might replicate what you would face.

Oh, and rod leashes....I would tie everything down lol.

Good luck,

Ryan.

I would try a couple of nursery paddles in some swell/conditions that might replicate what you would face.

That's the golden advice. Every offshore kayakker I know will openly admit to baby steps. Long gruelling paddles in a river is great for building up paddle fitness, which really comes in handy when your cardio ability is the motor, and your battling 20 knot headwinds. Pummy passage would have to be one of the if not the best safe training ground for battling strong headwind close to shore so you can get to land and rest if you get tired.

Id say it would have been an easy day out there today personally.

The weather was digusting today in the morning, no wind no swell no current. It was like a pond. Not my thing lol.

Even though i wouldnt want to be in a kayak today. Whales everywhere. Even next to shag rock and the bar. Busting up every few minutes

Yes i often see 3.7m tinnies out there and over the last 3 days you could have had a row boat there the weather has been that calm just read Kreel latest fishing report "Tugger knows nothing about fishing" Fuel is your only worry in small boats as it is a 2 hour return trip just pick your days

Yes i often see 3.7m tinnies out there and over the last 3 days you could have had a row boat there the weather has been that calm just read Kreel latest fishing report "Tugger knows nothing about fishing" Fuel is your only worry in small boats as it is a 2 hour return trip just pick your days

Thanks tugger, given me something to think about for a future trip. Just gotta load up with fuel! Bloody 2 strokes..

Went kayaking on Wednesday morning to The Group, even though dead calm the sea was choppy with currents and tides. And there were whales everywhere, some surfaced next to me but were on the swim and did not stay around, hope they have got good eyesight. Bonito were chopping all around me and I had the best view of a vivid, lit up Wahoo that was obviously excited about the bonito, it casually swam circles around me three times. I could not catch much and let all the little things go. A great day and could have gone to Boat Rock but had no company, so stayed close to The Group.

post-9999-144598844521_thumb.jpg

post-9999-144598844529_thumb.jpg

post-9999-144598844533_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

G'day

Glad I just put this one out there for people to ponder etc.

Thanks everyone for the posts.

Is Boat Rock doable in a yak - I think yes. On a good day with people accompanying you and also thinking safey first.

My trip to Straddie in October left me standing on the rocks looking out thinking - yeap doable.

Mark - yes,correct kayakers are mad. Agree. :P

Kreel - thanks for photo etc. - yes have read ALL your adventures out there. :woohoo:

Sparksie

Archived