Opinions on switching from Shimano to Daiwa.

dhess

Hi everyone.

Am looking at a buying a mid to high end spinning reel in a 4000 or 6000 size. Possibly a caldia or sol. Around $300.

Have always had shimano reels and been happy with their performance. I have increasingly been reading that a lot of people prefer daiwa over shimano for spinning reels.

Has anyone here switched from daiwa to shimano or vice versa? Did you notice any improvements/problems?

I haven't switched.

I've got a Daiwa Capricorn 4000 that I'm very happy with. Looks better than the Shimano Stradic (equivalent) IMHO too.

I've got a Daiwa SLD30 2speed that I'm very happy with. I was told by a tackle store that it had a better drag system than the TLD30 2 speed (equivalent).

If I'd got the Shimanos I'd probably be saying the same thing in reverse.

Take care of them and they'll probably both serve you well for a long time. Seems they probably have their pluses and minuses when being compared.

Here's a good review site -

www.tackletour.com

Cheers

We've had bad experiences with Daiwa gear before. Once, a friend bought a Viento ($300) once and it couldn't cast because the mag force was stuffing up. It had to be fixed.

And my brother bought a regal xi ($100) and it was squeky and difficult to wind. Took him 3-4hrs to fix it. Still isn't perfect though

So now I'm going for Shimano gear. They also have a 10yr warrantee.

have heard a bit of bad stuff about the viento... mainly the twitchin' bar stuffing up..

and yeah tierra is twice as much as sedona but definately worth it...

also anyone looking for somewhere to buy from, i would recommend motackle in sydney, i ordered online, ordered tuesday night payed wednesday morning and had the reel thursday

I got a sol 2000 last weekend. I've only used it twice but the things I like about it so far are:

Daiwa's reels are smaller and more compact that shimano's. I forgot what they called it but it was hardbodyz. Havn't looked it up in a few weeks. Drags smoother and the reel just feel's more compact and sturdier. But then again, most upgrades feel like that when you get them.

I used to own a Stella 1000, Aspire 1000, Aspire 2500, Stradic 1000 and Symetre 1500. Sold every single one and had a go with Daiwa. I bought 2 Certate Finesse Custom 2004 and a Sol 2000.

I'm never going back :) .

You don't even need the 10 year warranty. If a reel does something it isn't suposed to, the company will replace or repair it no questions asked. It's just normal business. After 2 or 3 years things happen just from ware and tare which isn't covered on warranty anyway.

Troy

Archived