Fine from fisheries

Malcolm

Went outside today and on the way back got stopped by fisheries to check us out.

They stopped me on the bar which I thought was sus as I don't want to hang out on the bar. But then they got me with an undersized Spangled Emperor.

I had it in my head that Grassies and Spanglies are the same thing and kept a 39cm Spangled Emperor which the legal size is 45cm.

So he fined me $220.00 which I kind of get because I know I should know.

Any way the point of this post is not to whinge just to say know your species,sizes,go slow/green zones,ect and ect.

Oh and they threw the fish out so I still don't know what they taste like :pinch:

in wild life, big fish eats smaller fish...

in real life, people do sht against other people...

39cm should be able to breed. But... That is what it is...

Sorry to hear that, hope that you will not see them one more time...

Note: Another point is. The size limits keep going up...So is the reason because the fishes cant breed at that sizes as they used to..or are there other reason$?

Note: Another point is. The size limits keep going up...So is the reason because the fishes cant breed at that sizes as they used to..or are there other reason$?

I have no idea what you are trying to say

Thats cr@p.... it was only 6cm under so they should have let you off with a warning I know a guy who was talking to his mate and said you cant get fined for 6cm under ;-) ;-) ;-)

But on a serious note its a bummer to lose some coin, but thanks for owning up and giving everyone else a good heads up that it can and does happen.

I find sweetlip and emperor the hardest species to identify and know the size limt. If you look in the latest Recreational Boating & Fishing Guide, under the coral reef fin fish section, it has all sweetlips as 25cm. Then under the other tidal species section, it has grass emperor (sweetlip) as 30cm. It doesn't mention red throat emperor, which I think is also a sweetlip, but I am pretty sure that they are 38cm and can sometimes be easily confused with grassies.

iNote: Another point is. The size limits keep going up...So is the reason because the fishes cant breed at that sizes as they used to..or are there other reason$?

The fish have not changed breeding characteristics based on their size. Fisheries have increased size limits to give the fish a longer spawning life before they end up in someone's esky.

Went outside today and on the way back got stopped by fisheries to check us out.

They stopped me on the bar which I thought was sus as I don't want to hang out on the bar. But then they got me with an undersized Spangled Emperor.

I had it in my head that Grassies and Spanglies are the same thing and kept a 39cm Spangled Emperor which the legal size is 45cm.

So he fined me $220.00 which I kind of get because I know I should know.

Any way the point of this post is not to whinge just to say know your species,sizes,go slow/green zones,ect and ect.

Oh and they threw the fish out so I still don't know what they taste like :pinch:

Sorry to hear about the fine Malcolm. I'm surprised they didn't just give you a warning.

Good to hear they are out and about though.

I just liked the way our friend wake people up.

iNote: Another point is. The size limits keep going up...So is the reason because the fishes cant breed at that sizes as they used to..or are there other reason$?

The fish have not changed breeding characteristics based on their size. Fisheries have increased size limits to give the fish a longer spawning life before they end up in someone's esky.

If you really believe what you wrote, then that is fine. Anyway thank you for the reply and have a great weekend.

If you really believe what you wrote, then that is fine. Anyway thank you for the reply and have a great weekend.

Of course, I believe what I wrote. Fish are still breeding at the same sizes they were breeding at 10 years ago. You obviously have some other idea behind the reason for the fish size limit increase. care to share your in depth thoughts?

I just liked the way our friend wake people up.

that made about as much sence as your previous comment

I find sweetlip and emperor the hardest species to identify and know the size limt. If you look in the latest Recreational Boating & Fishing Guide, under the coral reef fin fish section, it has all sweetlips as 25cm. Then under the other tidal species section, it has grass emperor (sweetlip) as 30cm. It doesn't mention red throat emperor, which I think is also a sweetlip, but I am pretty sure that they are 38cm and can sometimes be easily confused with grassies.

The sweetlip they're referring to with the 25cm limit are all the morwong type family (netted sweetlip etc). Bit confusing at first since most of the emperors are commonly called 'sweetlip' aswell :dry:

what the??? hard luck??? 6cm under is well under the legal limit. of course he should have been fined.

we are all on this site because we enjoy fishing and like having some fish left out there to catch and bring home - size limits are there for a reason. if you don't know what your catching, don't keep it.

good to see fisheries out there doing their job.

Of course, I believe what I wrote. Fish are still breeding at the same sizes they were breeding at 10 years ago. You obviously have some other idea behind the reason for the fish size limit increase. care to share your in depth thoughts?

No depth thoughts. Thanks again for the explanation.

The sweetlip they're referring to with the 25cm limit are all the morwong type family (netted sweetlip etc). Bit confusing at first since most of the emperors are commonly called 'sweetlip' aswell :dry:

Thanks Schmuck. The other fish that is hard to find in the regulations is the moses perch. Is it counnted in sea perches? I always stick to 30cm to be safe and because I have been told 25cm before. I know I might get a few people giving me a serve for keeping a fish that I don't know for sure is legal, but I am pretty confident it is 25 or 30cm.

Sorry for the sidetrack, Mal, although it looks like the thread has gone off track already.

what the??? hard luck??? 6cm under is well under the legal limit. of course he should have been fined.

we are all on this site because we enjoy fishing and like having some fish left out there to catch and bring home - size limits are there for a reason. if you don't know what your catching, don't keep it.

I agree it is good they are out there and you must be happy your perfect.

Hard luck because if you knew Mal at all you would know he would not have been trying to do the wrong thing.

Thanks Schmuck. The other fish that is hard to find in the regulations is the moses perch. Is it counnted in sea perches? I always stick to 30cm to be safe and because I have been told 25cm before. I know I might get a few people giving me a serve for keeping a fish that I don't know for sure is legal, but I am pretty confident it is 25 or 30cm.

Sorry for the sidetrack, Mal, although it looks like the thread has gone off track already.

/>http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_9066.htm

/>http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_3042.htm

I agree it is good they are out there and you must be happy your perfect.

didn't mean it to come across as an attack on you Malcolm.

it takes guts to get on here and say you've done the wrong thing.

i was more worried about the posts that came about in response to your report - i was just suprised that people thought that 6cm under was acceptable and should not be worthy of a fine

Also why are the fisheries not keeping an eye on theese dicks that sit on the pontoons? i've seen more then a few using undersize brim as bait. Also you have a whole family on the pontoon but no one up on the jetty when WheelFish is obviously in a wheelchair and some of them are reluctant if not refuse to move -.- They should ban fishing on pontoons outright me thinks :blink:

Anyone had fisheries coming up to you at the ramp lately? We (WheelFish) had a bloke ask us could he take a look at our catch for some monitoring program and we happily obliged.

Yeah had them a few times do that at cleveland. Have not see them at another ramp yet but I have never seen them at the bar either, usually top end of the island pulling everyone up.

Unlucky Mal, honest mistakes happen. Very easy to happen with some fish and zones these days. You'll just have to catch a better one this weekend hey :cheer: :cheer:

I remember my first trip off straddie in my boat, i caught a 42cm spangled emperor at shag rock. I was going to keep it as i thought legal was 30cm. Good Ted and Brian were out there and told me the legal size.

I havnt caught undersize spangled since than.

The fisheries were out on Wenesday too. They checked out boat for safety gear and fish at boat rock. Nice blokes had a good chat to them. They doing a good job.

My offshore Moto now is " If it cant take a whole pillie in one hit, i dont want it".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived