Proposed No-Go zones for SEQ

ellicat

Right. Cheers for that Elli. I guess there's political

So then is the argument here from everyone on the base of Green Zones in general, or the locations that they are trying to zone off?

BTW...sorry but a bit thick headed sometimes, but from the above transcript etc, what does the current govy have to benefit from zoning these areas?

EPA

“Dear Fisherman, we are going to cut off your hands. It’s not that we want to hurt you, we just know that it will be good for the environment. You understand. We can use your hands to put in the compost bin – then it’ll help fertilize a plant. Also, when you don’t have a hand it’ll be harder for you to eat and drink so the world’s foodstocks and water reserves will last longer. It’s a good thing. Honest! This decision was based on our own research. We have done it to others and it works.â€Â

REALITY

The real reason we want to cut off your hands is that we find what you do with them to be extremely offensive. We could just tie them behind your back at night but we are power hungry and don’t want to waste time asking what else could be done. Also our jobs rely on us being continually active doing this type of thing. We do some good things so we can get away with cutting off peoples hands occasionally. We even told Peter that we would cut his hands off if he didn’t look the other way while we do you. He said “Go for it, I’ll just ignore the whole thing and remain silent.â€Â

Do$tylz wrote:

Right. Cheers for that Elli. I guess there's political

So then is the argument here from everyone on the base of Green Zones in general, or the locations that they are trying to zone off?

BTW...sorry but a bit thick headed sometimes, but from the above transcript etc, what does the current govy have to benefit from zoning these areas?

The government gets/got the green preferences at the election.

I think it's the extent of the zones and deep down knowing or at least suspecting this will be phase one and we will lose more. It's also that so much emphasis has been placed on this one area and stuff all on the other areas that were in their charter to consider. [file name=MBclosures.pdf size=53633]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/MBclosures.pdf[/file]

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/08/24 09:58

MBclosures.pdf

Do$

you dont sound too convinced on political motivation, bit of history with labour/green.

im not ready to argue about green zones in general or these specific ones and put my own experience on the line until the areas sanctioned have had a full independedent scientific study and its in my hands so ive actually got something to argue about? interested more in the bag limits and tac, and future yields expected at this stage.

Yeah, unfortunately bieng young, dumb and full of... I can't say that I've really paid attention to much of the political crap that goes on. I figure that no matter who gets voted in, you're gonna disagree with them somewhere.

I'm just interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this topic. It'll help me make a more informed decision on where to stand.

Lindy Nelson Carr was interviewed by Nuggett on 4bc this morning and she made this statement which she has made previously in a press release.

Ms Nelson-Carr said the independent scientific Expert Advisory Panel recommended that, in line with the internationally accepted scientific advice, a minimum10 percent of each of the 16 habitat types within the marine park should be protected.

When nuggett questioned her where was the documentation to support this statement she said that there was none and quickly changed the subject.

The rest of the interview was just her repeating what was in the press statement.

Was just a waste of everyones time as she was just trying to justerfy the green zones.

Would not comment on pressures brought about by development and other factors.

Just seems focussed on controlling fishermen and thinks that the real issues will go away.

That was my impression of the interview or am I being my usual negative self?

Did anyone else hear it?

Ray

• 1 month later...

Sunfish Queensland (Inc)

Press release

23 October 2007

Conservationists “CAUGHT OUTâ€Â

Sunfish Queensland wishes to alert all recreational fishers who carry out their pastime in Moreton Bay of the uninformed claims recently made in the Courier Mail by a spokesman for the Wildlife Preservation Society. It is untrue that recreational fishers are destroying the Bay’s fish stocks, and the proposal by the Wildlife Preservation Society to close 20% to 50% of the Bay to fishing to protect stocks just shows how “out of touch†they are with reality.

The Deputy Chairman of Sunfish, Dr Barry Pollock, stated that the stocks supporting recreational fisheries in the Bay are healthy and sustainable. Dr Pollock refers to the recent publication by the Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries entitled “Queensland Fisheries – annual status reports 2006â€Â. This Queensland Government official scientific publication confirms that stocks are sustainable and tightly managed to ensure they remain so.

Dr Pollock says that there is no justification for marine park green zones in the Bay to protect the stocks taken by anglers. The current fisheries management arrangements such as size limits, bag limits, gear restrictions, area closures, and fish habitat reserves are more than adequate to ensure the sustainability of the stocks. Dr Pollock refers to the 2007 winter bream fishing season in the Bay which was one of the best on record. The conservationists should be concentrating on the real threats to the Bay – pollution & wetland reclamation.

Any expansion of marine park green zones in Moreton Bay will do nothing to improve fishing or to protect the stocks accessed by recreational fishers. More green zones will just restrict recreational fishing opportunities and concentrate fishing effort into the remaining areas.

Sunfish Queensland has been advised by the Queensland Government that a draft re-zoning plan for the Moreton Bay marine park will be released for public comment at the end of 2007. Moreton Bay is a very special place for pastime fishing. Recreational fishers are encouraged to oppose green zone proposals which would restrict their fishing activities.

Contact point Dr Barry Pollock 33989306 Deputy Chairman, Sunfish Queensland

Media Release from Fishing and Lifestyle Party

Wednesday, 24 October 2007

Barrier Reef $222 Million. Moreton Bay $0

News released today that the Federal Government has just announced another $50.8M brings the total industry compensation bill for the Great Barrier Reef rezoning debacle to $222m.

“If the authority had listened in the first place,†said Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party Senate candidate Kevin Collins “This is money which could have been better spent on hospitals, schools and real environmental achievements, rather than a half baked demonstration of political muscle flexing by the environmental lobby in the first placeâ€Â.

“There was a better way†he says. “A management plan could have been put in place which both achieved the environmental objectives without inflicting a $222M damage bill on the industry and now we are staring down the barrel of a similar marine park management program in Moreton Bay and the State Government has not earmarked one red cent to compensate for the damage it will doâ€Â.

The damage bill from the Moreton Bay closure will exceed $700m but the Queensland Government won’t pay up.

The zealous and unnecessary push to lock ordinary Australians out of our parks has meant broken business, broken families and broken lives, all to achieve an outcome has been described by Professor Bob Kearney, the Emeritus Professor of Fisheries at Canberra University, as a con job, based on questionable science by a marine park industry which is an advocacy group rather than an objective science based review panel.

“We would urge the Bligh Government to listen and take careful note of the damage done in North Qld and how much it has cost the Federal Government to repair this damageâ€Â’ said Collins “This State can not afford a multi million dollar compensation bill and the industry can not absorb multi million dollar damages.â€Â

“We can protect the Bay and we should - but we can do that without damaging lives and lifestylesâ€Â.

The Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party is one of a group of minor party “king makers†whose preferences will likely determine the last Qld Senate seat and the balance of power role in the future Federal Senate.

END

i think it's incredibly naive to think that global warming is unsubstantiated- it's probably the worst joke of the 21st century that more attention hasn't been paid to climate change earlier. as far as fishing bans go i'm against them though- doesn't seem right- the oceans belong to everyone and lots of fish are migratory anyway. i suppose i support the current grey nurse conservation areas but they are hardly comparable to the intentioned zones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe on a slow forum weekend it would be a good time to have a look into some of this stuff (if you're not fishing of course:P)

Here's an interesting site to glean some info from http://www.saveourbay.org.au/default.htm

Follow the links and also have a read of the suggested letter to your MP. Even if you don't want to send it, the letter contains some good points.:)

Archived