Forgetful Day

ONTHECHEW

The day was planned for a trip down to Tweed to Brunswick area offshore, I have had pretty good success down there jigging and popping so thought I might give it go. I hadn't heard of much action down there put it is usually less fished than out from straddie. Had Jewy (matty) and Plastic Fantastic meet me at my parents place at 5am to load the boat and head off. Even with the smaller swell didn't want to head out in too much of an outgoing tide, as the bars down that way are one way or nothing.

About 3/4 of the way down to Tweed I had this sinking feeling in my guts and thought for a second that I hadn't put the boat keys in the ignition, they are on the same ring as my trailor lock. Got Mark to get out and have a look and he jumped back in and said nope there not in there, I couldn't believe I had stuffed up so badly, we where so pumped for a fish down south. I had to look for my self, got in the boat and had a really good look every where and nothing, and even to top it off I had found my tackle bag lid had blown open and one of my popping gloves was no where to be seen :( These gloves had caught me many good fish, it was almost like losing a child. Well as over rated as keys are we had to head back, by the time the tears had cleared from the loss of one of my loved ones, we where back at my parents place. The decision was made to just head out from straddie as no one could be stuffed to drive back down to Tweed. So basically we left my parents place at Victoria Point at 5.15am and arrived at Cleveland boat ramp at 8.15am, to say it was the long way round was an understatement, to add to the fact that I have to drive 2 hours from Toowoomba just makes it all the better.

Finally we where on the water, it was an unusual feeling heading out with so much light, but on the plus side it meant we missed the run out tide and the bar was flat as. It was a bit windier that we had expected and decided to stay close and see what happens. We tried middle reef first, Mark was slaying the stipey tuna, while Matty and I where pretty queit, finally I hooked a fish that felt pretty good but had the tell tale rapid head shakes of a tuna. To my embarassment I asked mark to drive as for a second I thought it was a decent fish, but then after a brief fight up popped a mack Tuna about 5kg to my dismay. To make things worse Matty dropped his good split ring pliers overboard taking the hook out of its mouth. Mark did not let me hear the end of it as we chased a mack tuna :whistle:

Left middle reef and tried the group for a few strikes but no hook ups except mark with a very small kingfish, plus there where thousands of jelly fish as well making it hard to tell between a hit and just bumping into them on the retrieved. Decided to give a few drifts either side of Tuggers rock but to no success, wind and current where going against each other so very slow drift but very hard to get the plastics to the bottom.

Tried another quick spot and on the first drift I hooked up to a solid fish (not a mack tuna) and after a tense fight on 20lb leader up came a nice snapper 8.5kg and 90cms only 1cm off my pb but none of the photos really do it justice on how fat it was across the belly. This was a highlight and lowlight of my day, when removing the hook from it's mouth this is when I discovered I had not taken my sea sick tablets for over 6 hours :sick: , then even worse I found out they I had left them in the car. This meant when I should have been cellebraiting I was just doing my best not to throw my guts up.

post-7753-144598851828_thumb.jpg

post-7753-144598852201_thumb.jpg

post-7753-144598852209_thumb.jpg

Had to keep going as Matty was still on a donut so decided to give it another drift. Once again the tuna master was onto a little mack tuna, matty decided this was his chance and dropped it back down on his jigging combo. It didn't last long and he was loaded up on something solid, pretty early it was called for a cod, after a pretty short fight up pops Matty's pb cod of over 110cms and about 20kg. A quick photo and then swam the old girl so she could be released. We have renamed this spot Jurassic Park now as we have only fished it a few times and we have only caught quality fish of it, not quantity but good quality.

By now it was blowing a decent 20knots from the east, the boys suggested we head back in and I was not going to complain. Got back in and Matty had a few more casts at some long tails but they where very picking and then pulled the pin.

Considering all of the stuff ups it was a pretty good day considering we where only on the water for about 4 hours.

Andrew

post-7753-144598852215_thumb.jpg

Andrew, I can't help but say that had you got to the Tweed with your keys and everything else working for you, you may not have such a great story and have caught some incredible fish. The only downside to your story is the sea-sickness (but that has passed by now I'm sure) and the loss of a few items.

Just remember |<- 9 0 c e n t i m e t r e s ->| of quality Snapper!

Man this report just kills me. Im dieing to go fishing. Looks like a cracker sess.

I know what you guys mean about snapper man. Photos dont do justice. What sort of plastic you get it on? I really need to learn how to fish plastics offshore. How much water did the cod n snapper come out off?

Congratea on pb cod too

Shane

Tim,

Yah something I have actually started thinking about, we have never fished anything but lures off my boat, but the last two live baits we have chucked down have got absolutely monstered.

Mark,

Yah I was so annoyed at myself for forgetting the keys, I was keen as for a bit of a pop and jig down at the tweed.

Angus,

Yes mine was bigger but you caught yours on a slug

Shane,

Got it on a 6 inch paddle tail bass assasin in pearl white on a 1 1/2oz jig head as the wind and current going against each other was real hard to get it to the bottom. It was somewhere between 5-50 metres deep ;)

Andre

Nice fishing!

Just a thought, the majority of boats I frequent seem to have fairly accessible wiring behind the console, would it be an option to learn how to hot wire yer boat then have the necessary crimped up wires in yer boat tool kit (or even in the boot of yer car) for such eventualities? If you had these wires on yer boat it may save the day if yer keys went AWOL, or the key switch went fubar on a trip out......

Tim,

Yah something I have actually started thinking about, we have never fished anything but lures off my boat, but the last two live baits we have chucked down have got absolutely monstered.

Andrew

Yeah i pretty much only use lures too but your post has got me thinking that i should be sending my jelly beans back down to the bottom. Did you get the Snap and Cod around where me and my mates were slaying the cobes that day.

cheers tim :)

nice report andrew pity about the tweed debarcle but i think you more than made up for it, at least it was a glove and now " dare i say it " no i dont dare, lets just say somehting of a little more significant value!

can i ask what sort of gear you guys pulled that cod from its hole with, since i think its those suckers thats doing us over at the rock, would be ncie to heave one from its hole !

callum

Thanks Andrew for a great day out even though we had a bit of a drive. Can't complain with a pb cod and to see a monster snapper caught was enough to make the driving worthwhile. There will always be more opportunities to go chase the monsters off the tweed.

Cheers Matty.

Hi andrew i really kicked myself for being stupid enough to arrive at our destination and realize I forgot the sounder . That's happened. Also forgot the trailer lock once. Turned around to get that, there was no way I was going to leave a drive on dual axle trailer at a public ramp unsecured. :dry:

My answer was to make time for myself to go through a checklist so if that means getting up 15 mins earlier that is what I have to do. By the time your crew arrive its too late, they will want to chat and the excitement of the trip becomes a distraction. Either that or tell them to park it for a minute while you check. They can help you check things over too.

I was out there on sat, went to square patch for a feed but that's ok considering the wind and crap conditions. You did well all things considered.

Aquaholic

Hi andrew i really kicked myself for being stupid enough to arrive at our destination and realize I forgot the sounder . That's happened. Also forgot the trailer lock once. Turned around to get that, there was no way I was going to leave a drive on dual axle trailer at a public ramp unsecured. :dry:

Aquaholic

Hi Aquaholic... Maybe if it happens again after launching just reverse the trailer into the trailer park or against a solid object? Breaking in and moving a vehicle to steal a trailer seems a lot of effort?

I see people doing this a lot lately even with trailer lock on...

Dean

Solid fish there must be some good ground you are drifting, is there bait stacked up where you dropped or are you looking for rough territory with fish holding on it?

When i get back out there its my plan to catch those little tuna if they are around and drop em down live behind boat rock on the heaviest gear i can find.

It's great to see you guys starting to think about using live bait.

Once you work out your live baiting techniques then you will start seeing whats really out there on those reefs and start hooking into some incredible fish,especially once summer arrives and the pelagics start turning up.

Combine that with some good burleying and you will be set. :P:P:P

Aquaholic

Hi Aquaholic... Maybe if it happens again after launching just reverse the trailer into the trailer park or against a solid object? Breaking in and moving a vehicle to steal a trailer seems a lot of effort?

I see people doing this a lot lately even with trailer lock on...

Dean

Yes Dean, I do that too. I reckon I do absolutely everything possible to prevent theft of my trailer, I even have one of these installed
/>http://www.campertrailers.org/cuda_alarms.htm

Aquaholic

Archived