A Very eventful day - Bribie Ocean Side

pcsolutionman

Well my brother jamie had the day off because of the bad weather so I decided to take him out off Bribie for his first trip there. We had planned on targeting some snapper so the lighter outfits were loaded into the car (to be regretted later). got to the beach unloaded and got out on the water straight away. We could see a heap of birds and tuna working a bait school about 200M away so while I rigged up Jamie headed over to have a crack at them. thought Id leave him too it and head over to the beacon not thinking he would get them to bite, I had one drift past the beacon when I heard him yelling from the distance. I looked over and he was on big time, rod buckled over line screaming off. I headed towards him flat out but as I got about 40M away he got busted off. thats the third one Ive hooked he yelled I pulled the hookes on one and busted off twice now (he was only using 10lb mono lol). I gave him some more stuff to rig up with while I had a crack at them, second cast and I got smashed on my little snapper outfit and a 5\" gulp minnow, it took about 100M of line in the first 5 or 6 seconds then just busted me off :angry: . I quickly re rigged and was hit yet again only lasting a split second before I lost yet another lure. They then disappeared so we both headed to the beacon for a bash at some snapper. first drift past the beacon and I was on and it felt like a reel solid fish taking several long hard runs on the light 6lb outfit before finally getting the grippers into what was a nice snapper that measured 55cm ;):woohoo: .

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/p1020063-web.jpg

a couple more drifts and the tuna showed up a few hundred meters away jamie headed straight over and was on instantly but didnt pull the hooks or get busted up straight away, he was getting towed away at a fair rate though :woohoo: I quickly paddled over to give him a hand, as I got to his side I could see he had less than half of the 400 or so meters of line he had on there left so he put the rod in the holder and paddled flat chat straight at the beast. he finally gained some line back and so I atched myself to his yak so it had to tow both of us :lol: well tow us it did for the next hour we got towed straight towards moreton. We ended up a good 5klm or more from our original position. We were as close to the outer beacon as we were to the one near bribie lol. He finally got him about 20M away from the boat and we got to see the monster that must have been 1.2M at minimum but once it saw the boat it took another couple of hundred meters straight back again :blink: about 5 mins later after regaining half of his line back his line went limp :unsure: he reeled in as fast as he could incase the fish had started to swim at him but he was gone :ohmy: Duck Duck Duck was the next 20 or so words. after over an hour and a half he had been busted off my heart just broke for the poor lad. then I turned around to see the paddle we had to get back :shock: :shock: :shock: . well another hour and a half and we finally made it back to the beacon right on dark.. had a few drifts past the beacon for just a couple of little undersized pinkies.

yeh it got a little rough later in the day way out probly around 2-2.2 M, I have got a heap of heavier gear, I had taken the tuna rod (a 10kg ugly stick with an epix 6000 high speed loaded with 20lb braid and 40lb leader) the last 5 trips and hadnt had a taker so I left it behind, I wont be doin that again

Lee

lol jordan. the weather wa overcast and looked like rain the whole time we were there, the tide was falling all afternoon, the bust ups were everywhere and lasted all afternoon, just had to follow the birds, we got all the hookups on gulp 4 and 5\" minnows. I was wondering when you would pop up and ask a few questions lol

Lee

far out that sounds like so much fun you cant pay for that type of entertainment.

an hour and a half god dam i thought it was fun fighting squire for 2 minutes or so but that long would have been the thrill of a life time.

I bet you wouldnt have as much fun landing a marlin as you would fighting that tuna on such light gear and from a yak

top stuff :D

Archived