A Qualified Apology

ellicat

Anyone that knows me well enough will know I am a dedicated rugby league fan and a long term follower of the Tigers.

Back in 1989 they were robbed of victory in the grand final against Canberra when the arrogant (at the time newbie) Bill Harrigan made up his own rules to the severe detriment of a Tigers team that was made up of almost the entire Aussie scrum, the Kiwi halfback, the Aussie fullback and some up and coming centres like Tim Brasher and the pommie Schofield.

Last week Mal Meninga was visiting my wife's work to have some talks etc.

In the cupboard upstairs was my Balmain jersey from that era. I asked the wife to take it along to get Mal to sign it (He was the opposition captain in 89).

She said she was too shy and could not do it. I pleaded and suggested she could get her boss to ask.

All I wanted was for him to say sorry for 1989.

So he turns up at her work and her boss greets him and then says "This is Michelle and she has a question for you" Hahahaha...Good man !

Mal was chuffed as she told the story that whilst her husband is a passionate Qld supporter he is also a passionate Tigers supporter. He said "Get me a pen" !

I asked for "Sorry for the 1989 grand final, Mal"

Instead this is what I got -

post-564-144598889338_thumb.jpg

post-564-144598889348_thumb.jpg

Not exactly what I asked for, but stoked to have it anyway :woohoo:

Apparently he was lifted by the conversation and happily took the mrs under his wing for the day, with some photos etc and shared some footy stories from the era.

He doesn't have his own boat but gets out for a fish with mates who do. Do ya reckon he'd like a trip in the Force ? :silly:

post-564-144598889356_thumb.jpg

Ellicat I worked with Bill Harrigan for over 6 years and I can tell you for certain that he took no favourites in teams. Bill was one of the fairest and unbiased blokes I have ever worked with in all aspects. We worked in a high level job and went away for weeks on interstate workthis was from 1986 through to 91 92 when he left the job to ref full time.. I have been with him before matches and he would never have a drink of alcohol becasue he always said someone would see him and use it as an excuse if their team lost. :P

Who cares about 1989 anyway brian, I was 4... ;) ....

I was 25. That was the 2nd worst day of my life.

The worst day was the next day when all my mates rang me to ask what year WW1 started.....which so happens to have been the final score. :( :pinch: I had a decent hangover to boot !

Ellicat I worked with Bill Harrigan for over 6 years and I can tell you for certain that he took no favourites in teams. Bill was one of the fairest and unbiased blokes I have ever worked with in all aspects. We worked in a high level job and went away for weeks on interstate workthis was from 1986 through to 91 92 when he left the job to ref full time.. I have been with him before matches and he would never have a drink of alcohol becasue he always said someone would see him and use it as an excuse if their team lost. :P

Not suggesting bias from him, just an inexperienced man that made up a rule on the spot to cover his mistake. He would make a good copper :P (Just jokes)

"not running in the spirit of the game" !!!!! Pretty unfortunate stuff. Awful play the ball though which deserved to be called back.

He played it forward which was allowed back in those days before TV and the administration began whittling away the little skills in the game. The defensive team used to only be back 5 metres then, so the tap and go was handy to get a roll on when rucking it out of the danger zone..

Oh yeah totally mate the game has changed so much. Looks totally ugly though that's all. Not that they cared what anything looked like back then. I mean, I still watch union so what the hey. Time changes everything, hopefully the scars of grand finals not won fade too. As a QLDer it's pretty hard to hold a grudge against big mal.

Archived