Overheat Probs help!!

havarest

Hey all just calling on you expert opinions again. Ok... Went out o my cruse craft with an inboard 350 chev mercruiser;) . everything working fine and there has been no probs. suddenly start to take off she is smoking like a chimney in the mddle of winter. I stop the boat call rescure get towed to a marina. They look at it sayin looks like I have prob stuk a plastc bag in the water pump so off comes the leg and sure enough waterpump melted to nothing. So replace water pump also fix other little bits and pieces that really just cost me money. Thinking and getting told the boat is good to go head out today for it to overheat again with out even getting out of the marina.....:ohmy: the mecanic was not there but i am not sure if he knows what he is on about :blink:

Any help would be great please:cheer:

Gazza wrote:

Give me a call on 0423105520 I've had the exact same probs :pinch:

I did type all the symptoms but the site had a brain fart and died :(

so call me

Gaz

I can help had the same prob

I suggest do it Havarest- Gazza knows heaps and likes helping. He smells a bit but that's OK if you just call him. It'll only cost you a couple of Karma points and might save you heaps of $$;)

BTW you know that smelly comment I was ONLY JOKING, for all those who don't know my smart ass humour.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/09/02 07:34

it does sound a bit like a jammed thermostat.. follow the radiator hose to the top of the engine, unbolt the little cap that the pipes go into and your thermostat is inside/under that. I'd pull the bloody thing out just to be safe.. but then again, i'm no mechanic.

any mechanics here shed some light on thermostats for me? are they just to help the engine warm up before allowing the radiator to start cooling? because i had a 253 holden v8 with no thermostat and it purred, same with the 4y toyota.. not the same kinda purr but it runs pretty well B)

Thermostats are there for a reason AlsHilux! Removing them can work ok in some engines, not others. Depends on how water flows through the engine. As a minimum you should at leave the thermo unit in place, removing only the centre, to restrict flow.

For a marine engine that has a constant supply of fresh cold water, removing the thermostat can have the affect of the engine never properly warming up, making the engine run like a pig, causing cold spots in the engine, which causes excess wear and tear. (Will do the same in a car engine as well).

Archived