Stuck at Tangalooma in 50kn winds

Aggro101

Some of you may have seen I posted a deckie spot last Thursday. I had a taker and the weather improved with the report looking like turning to crap around 2am, so I met the deckie at Scarborough at 8pm with a plan for a 2-3 hour session and back home before midnight.

Headed straight to the 4 beacons and dropped some pillies down for half an hour with no luck so we moved on to Curtain. Must have lost track of time because the wind started to pick up and by the time we packed up and started to head back it was blowing 35kn plus. At the southern end of the banks the seas were pretty big and as the moon was behind the clouds, I couldn't see the breaking waves, so I made the decision to turn back and head for the wrecks to shelter up for the night. (much to the dismay of the deckie). He asked "Can we discuss options?" I said "There are no options to discuss, we are not crossing the bay tonight."

By the time we got in behind the wrecks it was 45kn plus and hit over 50kn early morning making it a very cold and wet night, but at least we were safe. Texted the missus at 2.30am to let her know I wasn't coming home until the conditions improved and settled in for the night. Deckie now saying I made the right decision, lol.

Managed to get 10 minutes sleep here and there hiding under the console using a cushion to try to block the wind as much as possible (left my wind jacket hanging over the kitchen chair at home :angry: ). I have been colder once when I was hiking on Mt Barney in winter, but this was a very close second.

At 5.30am Friday, the conditions hadn't improved dramatically except that now I could see, so I decided to head in to Tangalooma Resort and see if we could get a cup of coffee and sit in the bar area out of the wind.

The Staff there were fantastic offering us blankets and fruit from the staff room. When they opened for breakfast, they offered endless coffee at no charge (we must have looked awful). Greatly appreciated!!! :woohoo:

Deckie decided he didn't want to stick it out with me and called his missus to book him a ticket on the Tangalooma Flyer boarding at 8am. Although the wind had dropped to under 25kn by now, I was waiting until it was a consistent 20kn or less to head home.

By 8.30am the wind had settled a little to 20-25kn and I decided to hop back in the boat and go and see what the waves were like.

Checked in with the Coast Guard and got ready to go. Soon after leaving I noticed the coast guard boat heading around behind me and they shadowed me most of the way back.

The waves were still pretty big at about 2-2.5m and breaking, but it looked workable. It was a slow trip back picking my way through them though. Once I was past the banks, it was mostly a following sea and I did have a couple break over the back of the boat, but nothing the bilge couldn't handle.

Got back to the ramp around 10.30am and finally headed home after one of the more eventful fishing trips I've had. Oh, I caught 2 fish there at Curtain but threw them back.

Thanks for reading, Gilligan (aka Chris).

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

that's some crazy ar$e stuff mate, good thing you got back safely.

When I saw the post go up I thought you might have been a little keen based on my interpretation of the forecast, didn't think it would get that bad though.

Yeah, I left it too late to come back. The weather prediction was spot on, but I lost track of time. I should have set an alarm to leave before 11pm to give me plenty of time to get back before it came through. I knew it was a small window of opportunity and should have been watching the clock better.

mate

WELL DONE!!! Great maturity as some would just chance it and say she be alright!! Thats how people die.

I remember a trip I did in my kayak off Noosa, I was younger and fitter then. I planned a paddle out to jew shoal but decided to head out furrther to Sunshine Reef. The forecast was wrong and a 30knot NE came through, there was no way I was getting back to Noosa so I headed for Sunshine Beach. A 5km planned paddle turned into a 20-25km epic and by the time I hit the sand at Sunshine beach I was in all sorts of trouble with dehydration, cramping etc.

You made the right call and I am sure your deckie is thanking you on reflection.

when in doubt don't do it!

Bryan

I second what the others are saying mate. A good skip has to stop, assess the situation and make the right decision- lives depend on it. I'm Sure the Mrs/family would prefer a call saying you have had to stay and will be back late than a call from authorities saying a search & rescue is looking for you. Surprising how nasty the bay can get. We got caught out in a storm on the shelf (4hrs & 115nm offshore) in the Torres Strait a few years back and made a decision to locate the nearest shoal and anchor up behind... we huddled together in the cabin praying the anchor would hold.... rough but it offered some protection.

Archived