Rods and Reels and Hot Cars

Damien2Rad

Gents,

We all know what happens to our fancy expensive plastic lures when we leave them in the car on a hot day.

I have a question re: our carbon graphite rods and poly ethylene fishing lines in a hot car.

As of today I'm living off the land, I've canned my lease, purchased storage and plan on living on the lamb (read: spending more time at my parents house to save money or fishing).

I can't get into the storage after 7pm at night, and since many of my trips are organised the night before this has given the idea of storing my rods and reels in my car but the heat concerns me.

What say you, gentlemen of AFO? Will my rods, reels and line survive in a hot car?

The rod blank shouldn't have any issues as all. Once their pre-preg is rolled, it's then bound in tape and then put into an oven to be baked. Pretty sure the oven get's hotter than your car ever could.

What you may find is some glues used on the rod may weaken. The glues are generally found around the reel seat and handle.

Line - I think flouro starts to weaken if exposed to too much heat. I have no proof of that but I did just throw away half a spool of 4lb flouro that had been on my boat for a long time and had (what I think) caused me to lose 3 lures to bass.

Archived