Wild Wolffdere Bass - Albert River

Brian D

Yahoo got a couple. I headed out to the freshwater section of the Albert River for a bit of a reconnaissance mission, heard the bass were active. Went as far as Luscome to see if the water was running and yeap it was sort of

PA070019AFO.jpg

PA070020AFO.jpg

PA070017AFO.jpg

So I headed down stream and tried looked at a few spots before I settled on this one

PA070024AFO.jpg

Started with a ¼ oz black and red spinner and not long before I got a hit on the tail and the spinner came back less its’ feathers. Switched to a white and beige and look what happened!

PA070023AFO.jpg

The switched to a popper and got another.

meAFO.jpg

PA070021AFO.jpg

Got em right here (go to next post up the line).

Just got back from an exploring drive, i drove past that weir wall it looks good country, I have a spare yak if u want to borrow it one day, I went a bit further past the Luscombe area, and its a series of runs and pools, I wonder if thats where they get the Mary river cod that the Carpbusters have stocked?

Aaron H wrote:

Just got back from an exploring drive, i drove past that weir wall it looks good country, I have a spare yak if u want to borrow it one day, I went a bit further past the Luscombe area, and its a series of runs and pools, I wonder if thats where they get the Mary river cod that the Carpbusters have stocked?

Maybe not that weir, not the one on the left Aaron the one on the right. Turn right at Luscombe bridge and pull over about 900 mtres up the hill (maybe a bit more). The other Weir is at Wolffdere which is good for catching dead cows and rubbish.

What's mine is yours Ray - I didn't make, buy it or create it so it's not mine to hide.:)

Aaron I'm too fat for a yak :laugh: but thanks anyway.:S

Brian D wrote:

Only about 40 but they fight a bit better or maybe it was the 2 lb line I was using.

PA070025AFO.jpg

Aaron have another look. This weir can't be seen from the road. Luscombe Creek Bridge, the road is Veivers Rd. You can see the weir marked in the UBD street directory.

Mate I'll show you next time you are down this way if you haven't found it yet.

The cod are out near Tabragalba fro my info.

Well I went to continue my search for the wild beast this morning and thought I would just finish off this spot with a few more picks

Here's a look at where I was this morning (if interested)

PA080003AFO.jpg

and I caught this

PA080002AFO.jpg

here's the weir I have been dribbling about

PA080010AFO.jpg

here's the other side (yuk)

PA080009AFO.jpg

PA080007AFO.jpg

here's the overflow chanel into the bottom pond, I wonder how many fish go for the slippery slide

PA080011AFO.jpg

PA080012AFO.jpg

I tried poppers and spinners again with many attacks, tail smacks and nibbles but only 1 little one this morning.

PA080006AFO.jpg

Fisher_90 wrote:

Is their any tracks to different spots or do u have to make your way through bush?

Sorry Fisher I missed that question. As to the tracks some yes and some not. The weir has a well worn path but some of the other spots are a hassle.

I am very concerned about snapping a rod so I'll look at taking some old 2 pieces when I do the rough country. I'll also put my work boots and some long pants on in the future.

I don't know but a canoe is becoming very appealing. I might just wait for Aaron to have a go with his yaks then decide. I was watching an archer fish this morning on the other side of the bank, I could get to it but with a yak!;)

Gee Whiz Brian,well done on the captures and you sure know how to tease a guy. I was reared on creek fishing for bass or [pearch down my way] It is my no 1 style of fishing. By the photo's it realy looks fishy. I'll wait till you have some fun down there befofe I go. ha ha

Dino

Dinodadog wrote:

Gee Whiz Brian,well done on the captures and you sure know how to tease a guy. I was reared on creek fishing for bass or [pearch down my way] It is my no 1 style of fishing. By the photo's it realy looks fishy. I'll wait till you have some fun down there befofe I go. ha ha

Dino

Stay away Dino, you catch too many fish:woohoo: :laugh: .

I got a real buzz out of catching them wild, dam fishing gets a bit like shooting ducks in a pond.

Brian D wrote:

Aaron H wrote:

Maybe not that weir, not the one on the left Aaron the one on the right. Turn right at Luscombe bridge and pull over about 900 mtres up the hill (maybe a bit more). The other Weir is at Wolffdere which is good for catching dead cows and rubbish.

What's mine is yours Ray - I didn't make, buy it or create it so it's not mine to hide.:)

Aaron I'm too fat for a yak :laugh: but thanks anyway.:S

Mate I saw how quick u got from the car park to the piupeline at NP dam after I sent u the pic, there is a bit of fitness left in ya mate, u will be right on a yak, besides thanks to Angus getting me the cushy viking seats, its luxury all the way, more comfy than my tinny:laugh:

Aaron H wrote:

Yeah drove down the vievers rd (missus driving me taking in the scenery) I have great fishing spot radar:laugh: sawe the wall from the road the photos u got show that algae looking stuff, might have a sticky beak after work tommorrow;)

Gezz mate you know how to ferret out a fishing spot.

Below the wall are some huge scales from something big. Jack or Cod I would guess. They looked as big as barra scales. Do cod have scales?

If you think the yak will float me I'm keen to try. My balance should be good (better then eyesight). But can we wait till it warms up? :S Ha just call me Chilly D!ck!

Last night young Hocko rang at 6.25pm (while the weather report was on :angry: ) to see if I was fishing today - dur dumb question Dan.

So off we head at about 5am to a spot along the Albert, I saying to Dan \"mate you are in for something special\" but I don't think he actually believed me.

Check out the arc in the 7'2\" bream stick

PA130013AFO.jpg

And the reason

PA130017AFO.jpg

Well end result is about 6 wild bass landed and another couple of bust offs with about a few spat hooks. From the 1st cast it was on. My little chopper popper was the star of the day but spinners were good too. I lost another spinner skirt today to a greedy something.

PA130020AFO.jpg

He believes me now. Smask smash smash on the surface, so much action it sends you insane

PA130019AFO.jpg

Tim a wrote:

Good stuff BD. Is it true the wild ones fight much harder than the impoundment fish?

I feel they do Tim. Have another look at the shot of Dan, not only has the rod got a nice arc to it but have a look at the expression on his face, his teeth are clinched. It all is realative tio the gear.

Dan was loaded with 4lb fireline and 8lb trace, light bream rod and 1500 series reel. So on that gear yeap they fight hard.

Well day 3 and it's a worry. I went back half expecting another amazing surface display and half expecting a shut down. Small pond lots of lures cast in every direction = shut down. However I'm still keen until I find that the pond has been over taken by some smelly blue green algae crap.

PA140067AFO.jpg

Anyway not deterred too much I let go with the fizzers (thanks Schultzy) and land a mean little 40cm. He jump and slapped around like a togo on steriods. Notice how beat up he is compared to the nice pretty dam fish.

zzzAFO.jpg

After that there was very little surface action, proberbly to do with no bugs flying around. So I packed up and headed north down river. Feeling a little disponded I cme accross another nice looking hole

PA140081AFO.jpg

First cast and smacko, this little fellow hits like a marlin (well poetic license applied)

PA140072AFO.jpg

I know it's only another small bass but have a look where I got it and what I caught it on. (Lure is sitting on the fish)

PA140073AFO.jpg

Moral of the story \"Go Wild\":)

• 1 month later...

Had a look at the spot below the weir today with the intention of giving it a try on Wednesday. One thing that concerns me though is whether or not this weir is Luscombe weir, as fishing is prohibited from the weir to 120metres downstream. I notice there is a sign post down at the bank but the sign has been removed and I cant find any info on the net as to the exact location of Luscombe weir. If anyone could advice if this is Luscombe weir or not as I dont want to be fishing in closed water.

Thanks

Archived