Using Lures in the River

Cowfish13

I can catch fish on lures in most saltwater locations but I am yet to catch one in the Brisbane River. During the holidays (which have now passed:(), I catch the bus or ride down to areas like Newstead Pk, Breakfast Ck, South Bank and Kangaroo Pt. I have used my 6lb braid and 6lb Flurocarbon leader with good quality lures (Smith Camions, SX40's, Scorpion 35's) for the last few trips but I havn't got a fish yet. Best I've managed has been dropping a small Bream down river from South Bank. I mainly use hard bodied lures because soft plastics get snagged too easily around that area.

I can only go land based around these areas and I would love some advice on what to do. Advice on lighter leader (I've got some 4lb fluro), different spots or techniques would be much appreciated (Karma included).

Thanks,

Will

Maybe try some thing else than a sx40 no offence it must be your fav lure np with that :) but when all else fails use a poppers a deep diver a chrome slug mate to be honest I've caught more fish on cheaper lures that expensive ones up north got told 16$ nils masters in fluro for Barra was the go bought 4 fish 0 bought Barra busters cost $5 barra caught to many to say price does not all ways mean fish variety to find what works does

just a tip ;)

Gaz

Hey Cowfish

I have caught 2 cod on soft plastics at Fig Tree Pocket/17 Mile Rocks and missed that Threadie on a hard body in the last few weeks so they do work in the river.I have been boating though.You could try 17 Mile Rocks from the bank,you could access them via 17 Mile Rocks Riverside Park.

Mal

Gazza - I've tried Rebel lures, Ecogears, Smiths, Halco, Berkly and other no name lures. All of these have caught fish at some stage but not in the river:(. The hit at south bank was on a SX40:)

Malcolm - Where is 17 mile rocks?

Jimmybob - I know, but HB's tend to bounce off the bottom rather than hook into it (especially the halco's, they're snag proof).

cowfish- man i too prefer hard body lures over sps..i love em:) but getting them down to the right depth and in the right place in a current and ya shore based can be a pain in the butt sometimes..and then a sp can come in to its own..but id rather get a hit from a fish on a hardbody lure than a sp...just sumfin bout that feeling when ya get smashed, when ya workin that lure down:)

Some times it's the tactics too as said if your not getting snagged your not close enough that is very true in most curcumstances if your land based on the river look for bends with deeper drop off's structure etc it really does depend what your after sometimes like when chasing tuna the further you can cast the better less chance of spooking the fish and ripping a slug or popper through the school will work I doubt I stand alone on my thoughts here trial and error it's all a learning curve and we never leave it

Cheers Gaz

match the hatch is another term or what they are feeding on

The bream n cod leave the rocks during winter, it should start to fire up really soon tho. Oh and also, when you casting these rocks, cast parallel from the rock and hold your rod tip out just past the rocks, bring the lure in all depths of water there including stuff thats only 10cm deep right up against the rocks. I would keep the 6lb going, 4lb and you'll loose your precious lures if you hook a slightly larger fish in this rocky terrain. It should heat up in a few weeks so keep at it.

There's a spot near breaky creek called Cams Rocks that looks really promising. A really steep drop off and you can walk down stairs to some nice rocks. Had a bit of a flick there in the rain once with no luck but with the hotter weather there might be a chance of a bream around. Wasn't too snaggy once you cast out past the rock wall too. I reckon further towards the mouth with something like a prawn star would give a good chance at a thready. Would probably have to modify it for a bit more weight though.

its just next to the mouth of breakfast creek not newstead park the other side. ive fished there a few times with lures and bait only got stuff on bait did get a nice 47cm flatty on squid there. Saw alot of big mullet swimming and jumping. Ive only ever been there in winter, looking foward to giving it a go with lures in summer :)

i live across the road so let me know if you're headed down that way. i've never caught anything there either and i've fished there a dew times in the last couple of weeks drifting prawns and chucking out halcos. soft plastics seemed not to work for me either and i'm used to being able to catch fish so if you want to check it out together pm me.

Archived