Harry Atkinsons PB Snapper 23/04/14

Joycey67

Bit slow on the post sorry guys but spent last Wednesday out on the bay on my own chasing whatever I could find. It was like a milk pond all day so I took advantage of the awesome weather & did some exploring from Manly to Mud to Moreton to Amity Point & back. After nothing but small stuff all day at a variety of different spots I decided to give Harry Atkinsons a drift on my way back in, especially as it was mid arvo & most of the crowds had either moved on or gone home for the day. Hooked a solid fish not 2 mins into my first drift & was stoked to land my PB Snapper going mid 80's. By the time I'd calmed myself down bled & iced the fish I headed back up to the top of the drift & again within a couple of minutes I was on again only this time both rods I had out buckled over. Landed the first quickly before jumping onto the other & promptly landed the second. A nice pair of mid 40's squire. Decided I'd head back in with the 3 fish being plenty enough of a feed. All fish were landed on 5" Damiki Armor Shads in pink & white using 3/8TT jig head by way of dead sticking.

Also attached are some snaps of my new boat as I just realised I haven't posted any pics of it yet either. I am slack. 2009 Haines Traveler or Signature TD157 or 485 center console (apparently only ever 3 manufactured in this setup at last check, they are usually side console only) 60HP Evinrude ETEC, kill tanks, live bait tank, 100L underfloor fuel tank, plenty of storage, minn kota ipilot, VHF radio, Fusion sound system, Furuno 585 sounder, northstar GPS & sounder, the list goes on. Absolutely love it as it's still easy to head up the estuaries & yet more then handles the bay. Till next time!!! Cheers, Joycey.

post-3130-144599045649_thumb.jpg

post-3130-144599045663_thumb.jpg

post-3130-144599045676_thumb.jpg

post-3130-144599045686_thumb.jpg

post-3130-144599045696_thumb.jpg

post-3130-144599045702_thumb.jpg

post-3130-144599045713_thumb.jpg

Haven't had her offshore yet mate. Been up around the northern tip of Moreton near Flinders but that's about as far as I've been. I know it will handle it & get me there & back as it eats up a bit of swell beautifully. Its probably more the fact I'm a) inexperienced outside & B) I fish I my pat Malone a lot. Is certainly something I want to start doing sooner rather then later though coming into winter. I'm thinking Gold Coast might be easier to start off with??? (straight out the seaway) Appreciate your or any others thoughts on how, when, where to head out offshore though.

Awesome catch and a very nice boat mate, looks bigger than a 485 in the pics! Hows the furuno sounder go?

Yeah the furuno sounder is outstanding mate, very happy with it & yet I'm sure, like most people, I still haven't learnt how to fully use it & get the best out of it yet.

Well done! Great catch, and well worth your persistence. Amazing what comes out after the boat traffic move on.

Very interesting boat, I didn't know Signature actually made boats of this style. My Dad has always had Haines, and wanted their hull matched to his type of fishing, which is mostly chasing jacks and barra via bow mount. After looking for absolutely years, and contemplating building one, we found the boat builder at Scarborough had actually built one using a 490 hull and having cut the cabin off. He was selling it, so of course Dad jumped on it, and still has it. I don't think he'd sell it for the world, even after the builder has offered many times to buy it back. His looks exactly the same as yours, and was probably based on your boat. You're very lucky if you've got one of only three, 'cause I see them being in high demand. Very comfortable and capable, the only downside being a little heavy and cumbersome at the boat ramp on your own, but by the looks of you, not trouble there.

Thanks again for the report.

Well done! Great catch, and well worth your persistence. Amazing what comes out after the boat traffic move on.

Very interesting boat, I didn't know Signature actually made boats of this style. My Dad has always had Haines, and wanted their hull matched to his type of fishing, which is mostly chasing jacks and barra via bow mount. After looking for absolutely years, and contemplating building one, we found the boat builder at Scarborough had actually built one using a 490 hull and having cut the cabin off. He was selling it, so of course Dad jumped on it, and still has it. I don't think he'd sell it for the world, even after the builder has offered many times to buy it back. His looks exactly the same as yours, and was probably based on your boat. You're very lucky if you've got one of only three, 'cause I see them being in high demand. Very comfortable and capable, the only downside being a little heavy and cumbersome at the boat ramp on your own, but by the looks of you, not trouble there.

Thanks again for the report.

Yeah I hadn't seen one of these boats before either, though since purchasing I have seen 2 side console versions out on the bay. Haha.

I previously had a 4.3m aluminium centre console & was pretty happy with it to be honest. I only jumped on this one as it was my dad's best mate up in Cardwell who was selling it, he had it listed at $20k & looked after me for a steal $16K!!! :cheer: When I took it into haines head office earlier this year to have some further options priced up & I told the sales manager what I paid for it he nearly fell off his chair. He said if I commissioned him to sell it that day he'd ask $22k so I guess it was a sound investment which you cant usually say when it comes to boats.

Check out this link for all the info on this make & model. From what I understand it used to be called a Haines Traveller TD157 (what mine is called) but now go by Haines Signature 485SF which might be why you didn't realise they did this style.

/>http://signatureboats.com/boats/fishing/485sf/

Cheers, Joycey.

Archived