Brisbane river anchoring

Snowfish

Hey guys, went fishing in the bris river on sunday and as a first timer im unsure if its me or the river bottom but it took me ages to get an anchor in, everywhere i went from down near the brekky creek and up near the gateway hard as hell to anchor do i need a different anchor ? im using a standard sand anchor with 6 foot of chain on it.

You need to either use heavier chain or a longer length of it. The chain is required for it's weight. You need to have enough weight to keep the shaft of a sand anchor horizontal (or parallel to the bottom) so the pointy bits can grip into the bottom.

The rule of thumb is the amount of rope out should be 3 times the length of the depth you're anchoring in. However you will get away with less if the current isn't too strong or if you use heavier chain or a longer chain.

I don't know about that anchor, but another rule of thumb is to have the same about of chain as the length of your boat (ie 4m boat should have 4m or so of anchor chain).

It gets hard to throw out tho. We have 3m or so with our 5m boat and it rarely drifts unless it is in strong current or very rough weather.

ellicat wrote:

You need to either use heavier chain or a longer length of it. The chain is required for it's weight. You need to have enough weight to keep the shaft of a sand anchor horizontal (or parallel to the bottom) so the pointy bits can grip into the bottom.

The rule of thumb is the amount of rope out should be 3 times the length of the depth you're anchoring in. However you will get away with less if the current isn't too strong or if you use heavier chain or a longer chain.

Spot on ellicat! Apart from applauding sound advice, love the new avatar...spearfishing, anyone?:evil:

ellicat wrote:

I thought I mentioned chain size Gaz.

Good site that. Thanks:)

Archived