Longtail Tuna On Surface (video added)

old mate

Happy Australia day everyone.

It has been a while with the amount of work bad weather and lack of time, has been nearly 2months since I last fished.

Jeremy and myself headed out to chase some fish in the Bay yesterday, plan was too catch some kingies but after not getting any yakkas for livies our plan changed a little.

After not seeing any reports on tuna this season we were not expecting to see Many tuna. We decided to go spin a few slugs for spotties at the various beacons around the bay. In between beacons when the sun was well and truly up and the tide had changed, we finally saw some bird movement. We managed to slowly idle up to them to get a cast off, I was armed with a Maria loaded 140 which gave the ability to cast a little further then my normal cast. Two twitches of the lure and an awesome surface strike and I was hooked to my first Fish and tuna of the year. Fight was over in a minute and I had boated a 16kg Longtail tuna.

post-6803-144599095464_thumb.jpg

Seeing the effectiveness of the loaded Jeremy chucked one on too and we went on the hunt for some more tuna. We were joined by about 5 other boats chasing the tuna, After about another hour went by and we had a nice school pop and Jeremey was able to get a cast into the school with one twitch of the lure a tuna launched itself at the lure going airborne with lure in mouth, This fight went on for about 9 minutes before I tail grabbed it and dragged the fatty into the boat. This fish went a little bigger the the first roughly 18kg, this was Jeremy's first surface longtail tune, with a quick photo and release we where back on the hunt.

post-6803-144599095475_thumb.jpg

post-6803-14459909548_thumb.jpg

Another hour went past before we managed another shot at some tuna, again the tuna hit the lure on the first sweep twitch movement. To my dislike some young fellas came within 2 meters of us where I hooked up and dropped a slug straight down, Had a bad feeling when I saw him hook up he could be on my line considering my fish had taken about 100 meters of line and was pointed in there direction. About and minute later they came to the conclusion that the fish they where fighting was in fact my line :angry: thank god the lure fell off after a little and we politely asked them to move on.

I ended up fighting the fish for about 20 minutes before Jeremy netted the tunas head and dragged it in the boat. this fish was roughly around the 17-18kg mark.

post-6803-144599095487_thumb.jpg

We went on the search for a further hour and ran the lure through another school with no take, wind picked up a little so we decided to call it and head back to the ramp.

I think the ramp was the fun part of the day. I could have a rant but that would pointless.

/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpQDAou8uKs

Thanks for reading Chris.

Fantastic way to catch them on the surface.

I have the same rod as you Chris, so if I can just find a fluro orange hat I'll be set :silly:

Great size fish and a good chance of upgrading PB's in the coming months.

The shades your wearing Jeremy are a little more stylish that the normal polaroids what brand are they?

A top start to the season for you 2 well done.

Next time I'm out looking for tuna I will divert my eyes down from the sky and look for the orange cap instead. :whistle:

I reckon it will be close to the tuna and a reliable guide. ;)

Did you see the change to my rod? I prefer a full grip rather than the split grip.

Its definitely worth the time to film.

When you watch them back there are things you miss in the heat of the moment.

Waiting for the vid where the other boat hooks up your line while your on a fish and your politetly say "can you please move away' :P

Archived