24/4/15 Gold Coast report

Luvit

Sam Renny and I headed to Gold Coast to see if we could land a Spanish Mackerel. Neither of us had ever fished this area so it was an explore and learn trip. With some advice from Lance auussie123 we headed to the bait grounds just in case lures were not successful. We headed off to look at some GPS marks I got off the internet. First lot of marks couldn't see anything on the sounder and moved on. Tried another mark and after sounding a round a little we found the structure. Sam used a new Shimano Lucanus jig and quickly starting catching undersize squire.

post-11868-144599106288_thumb.jpg

I tried micro jigging without any success so we did some trolling to see what was around and started heading wide hoping to find some dolphin fish. It was not to be. The weather early out deeper was a little sloppy and took its toll with Sam laying a berley trail for us. :sick:

The good water was a long way out and after a good crack trolling we tried some micro jigging out deep but it was hard to hit bottom with the current. When we did we managed to we got a small reef fish of some description.

We made the call to head back to the bait grounds to see if any thing was happening.

We found the bait and anchor locked on it. We were getting no hits on micro jigs except for a tailor that Sam landed. We tried Slugs, Soft Plastics/micro jigs and bait jigs for nothing. Had to resort to rigging a live on a circle hook. Not long after I check the bait to see only the nose left on the hook. Good sign so threw another one out, within 3 minutes of it being out the rod tip started dancing and the rod buckled over and we were on. A nice size Mac Tuna hit the deck after a nice gaff shot by Sam.

post-11868-144599106299_thumb.jpg

We had some top crab bait.

Re baited and the rod starts dancing again and shortly after lost every thing to a toothy critter.

Send out another one and after checking it the yakka was gasping for air but it wasn't going to do him any good without a body. He was only half the fish he use to be.

With the sun going down we tried a quick micro jig in the seaway and after a couple of snagged lines we called it day.

An enjoyable day but a small reward for a big effort. Left home at 4am and returned home at a couple of minuets to 8pm.

Have to go now and get the boat ready for tonight. Hopefully change the Mac tuna into Mud crabs. ;)

Looks like you found the Mackeral in the end Wayne but just couldn't hook one.

You should have stayed in close all day and concentrated with baits and you would have got some good fish.

Anyway that trip gives you some insight to fishing the Goldy for next time.

Good luck on the muddies.

Yes I'm sure your right. I have this mental illness that drives me into blue when the weather permits. You never know what you may see. We saw a free swimming lemon type shark or of similar family.. The chance at a late season Dolphin fish was just to much.

Thanks for your advise. There wasn't that may people out so after the bait grounds we were fishing a little blind. I didn't want to fish in between all the other boats on the bait grounds.

Bait fishing certainly puts fish in the boat . It's just when you get that instant adrenaline pump on a lure hit it's hard to go past.

I will have to do a pure bait fishing day so I can get a feed.

Dino , It's a strange thing seasickness. Anytime I hit the ocean in Victoria I got seasick if I didn't take kwells. Now that I have been fishing far more regularly in the swell I rarely get sick and only take a kwell if it's sloppy as a precaution.

My boat easily recognisable with big Regi on the side GR175. Come over if you see me again.

We were about 20km offshore and found some nice blue water with a water temp of 25.8 degrees. It looked so fishy. 6 hrs is a lot time without a hit but that's game fishing.

When I went out with Ted last year I suffered from sea sickness pretty bad. When I first started fishing Moreton if we were in the same spot too long I would start feeling sick immediately but lately I've been fine. From when I took kwells I found that all they did was keep the vomit down, which although may be better than spewing it up, makes you feel sick for waaaaay longer. I've found (although this may be just because I'm getting more used to swell) that the travecalm do actually stop me from even feeling like I need to spew. I'm sticking with them anyway as it's not a nice feeling.

James

Things to minimize sea sickness is get a good nights sleep, drink enough water, and eat throughout the day.

Sam did all the above and still was struck down for a short time. After a quick 'ralph' he felt a lot better and OK for the rest of the day.

I was once on a charter where guys had been on the turps the night before have a great old time.They paid for it big time, while we were catching yellow fin tuta they couldn't even stand to watch. Leave the drinking to the day after ;)

I've found (although this may be just because I'm getting more used to swell) that the travecalm do actually stop me from even feeling like I need to spew. I'm sticking with them anyway as it's not a nice feeling.

+1 for Travacalm. Wayne fed me a Kwells one day and I thought he poisoned me. The 2l of water I had on board didnt last too long my mouth was that dry!

My boat easily recognisable with big Regi on the side GR175. Come over if you see me again.

We were about 20km offshore and found some nice blue water with a water temp of 25.8 degrees. It looked so fishy. 6 hrs is a lot time without a hit but that's game fishing.

We found beautiful blue 25 degree water just pit of Kirra.

Got our hit there. If I was already rigged I would have dropped a jig on the lump we were trolling over... the reefs were holding fish.

Archived