Buying a Tinny

Brissy_yaker

Hey guys I'm looking at buying a used tinny but not sure what's good and bad..Done alot of research but with older tinny's its hard to find specs and thickness's of hull etc..Gonna be my first boat and trying to budget 5K..Been looking at a few in gumtree as follows:

All 2006 Stessco catcher 4.2m, 30HP mercury 2st and stessco gal trailer..looks pretty tidy - $5900

2003 Brooker 4.1m deluxe, 30HP yamaha 2st..trailer unknown but looks good, side console - $5200

2006 Allycraft 4.1 .Rhino, 30HP yamaha 2st 2010...2006 Fully Galvanised Sea Link Trailer - $4800

Wanting boat to be able to handle the bay and that can handle chop if conditions go bad..stable, reliable and good welds..Going to look at the stessco tomorrow (thursday)..seller says hull is 3mm and from what i've read thats correct. Does anyone know what thickness the brooker or rhino would be? Any info or tips would be appreciated

cheers

Hey guys I'm looking at buying a used tinny but not sure what's good and bad..Done alot of research but with older tinny's its hard to find specs and thickness's of hull etc..Gonna be my first boat and trying to budget 5K..Been looking at a few in gumtree as follows:

All 2006 Stessco catcher 4.2m, 30HP mercury 2st and stessco gal trailer..looks pretty tidy - $5900

2003 Brooker 4.1m deluxe, 30HP yamaha 2st..trailer unknown but looks good, side console - $5200

2006 Allycraft 4.1 .Rhino, 30HP yamaha 2st 2010...2006 Fully Galvanised Sea Link Trailer - $4800

Wanting boat to be able to handle the bay and that can handle chop if conditions go bad..stable, reliable and good welds..Going to look at the stessco tomorrow (thursday)..seller says hull is 3mm and from what i've read thats correct. Does anyone know what thickness the brooker or rhino would be? Any info or tips would be appreciated

cheers

Any tinny in that size will be crap in bay chop mate. If you're serious about playing with bay chop, fiberglass is the only way to go IMHO. Weight is on your side then, and with a deep V, she'll eat it up.

For stability, in tinnies, I like them to be wide. This provides lots of stability but the cons they are a rougher ride as the stern of the boat is usually flatter.

Boats only as good as the motor mate key point there.

I bought an old 80's clarke that had been extensively modified and some point.

They don't make them as tough as the used too, I've hit coffee rock at considerable speed and just skimmed over it. Tilt and trim didn't like it through.

Thanks guys..I'd only be heading out say peel or straddie and only If under 10 knots..I know there will be a time it blows up whilst fishing so will have to deal with the ride then..also want tinny so can run electric and still go down the estuaries chasing jacks and trevs etc..will probably only stick to close inshore reefs if go bay..

I owned a rhino not to long ago, it always did me well, very stable little tinny. I was able to head out to mud island in 15knots. it sometimes got a little hairy but if you take it slow in bad chop and drive sensibly then you will be fine. it also got me out to the mile marker beacons in the bay with absolute ease on good days. if I had the balls to it would have taken me to Moreton island no worries. all comes down to driver ability in choppy conditions in my opinion.

I must say it did not like it when the wake from the Tangalooma flyer would hit the boat side on...

I'm going out for a run in the stessco catcher today and most likely purchasing. Went and had a look during the week and its a clean boat and very well looked after. With high sides, bit over 2 metre width and deep v 3mm hull i think it should handle good enough. It doesnt have a flat rear end like the stacer and allycrafts. Comes with everything i need to. Price wise i didnt want to spend over 5k however he's come down to 5.6k. Would rather a 40HP on the back but will see how the 30 goes today. Its a first boat so I'm happy to start slow haha. cheers guys for the input

Water test went great with 3 of us...I took a mate along for his opinion as he knows boats...Got up on the plane easy and happy with how stable it was and how it handled, even though wasn't very choppy we went through some boat wake and didnt feel a thing...Was happy enough to make the purchase and I hope it does me well!

Archived