Kanton Island GT Trip July 2015 (vids added last page 28/09)

Damien2Rad

Hi Guys,

I went on a trip of a life time to Kanton Island, part of the Phoenix Island Groups, in the nation of Kiribati and part of the worlds largest marine reserve (Phoenix Islands Protected Area) with Luke Wrysta of Rock Expeditions.

To put it shortly: the fishing was absolutely insane.

Kanton Island was a US Military base during WWII and many artefacts can still be found on the Island, including plane wrecks, ship wrecks, army trucks, a runway, a dilapidated wharf, fuel silos and gen sets. The island has permanent population of 26 and has not been fished by westerners since 1994 by a small group of American fly fishermen.

Our Story:

7 fishermen, 1 captain, 1 crew, 1 Kiribati government official "Observer".

Fishermen: 3 Aussies, 1 Malaysian, 1 Pommie, a Saffa and a bloke from Guam.

Departing Port: Apia Samoa

Distance to destination: ~650nm

Average Speed of Boat: 6.5kn

Transit time to Island: ~100 hours.

post-7684-144599120725_thumb.jpg

Lucky the weather was beautiful. (myself, Luke "Rock" Wrysta, Stewie (UK))

We trolled the whole way and hooked over 10 billfish including a blue, a black and short billed spearfish.

And 2 yellowfin tuna

post-7684-144599120742_thumb.jpg

Which ended up like this:

post-7684-144599120753_thumb.jpg

Any ways, for the 6 days we were on the island the GT fishing was insane with around 160 landed in total, including 52 by Stew alone, and mid 40's for myself and Jimmy (Guam).

The fly fishermen did well on the bones, triggers, GT, napoleon wrasse etc. There are many pics I cannot post due to water marks and them being used in publications, but here's a few GT shots from my camera.

post-7684-144599120764_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599120774_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599120787_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599120798_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599120809_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599120818_thumb.jpg

Our Vessel. MV Contraband

post-7684-14459912083_thumb.jpg

Stew with a GT

post-7684-144599120841_thumb.jpg

Fighting a GT from the WW2 wharf

post-7684-14459912085_thumb.jpg

30-40kg Napoleon Wrasse

post-7684-144599120861_thumb.jpg

Swimming fish to ensure they swam away strong.

post-7684-144599120871_thumb.jpg

We also caught many other species on popping and other spin gear, including:

Several species of Cod, Coral trout, Long nose Emperor, Blue fin trevally, (BIIIIIIG) Big eye trevally, trigger fish, red bass, barracuda.... And stew got a Land based Dog Tooth Tuna of ~30kg on a Popper. Insane!!

A lot of other great photos from this trip in other places, too.

post-7684-144599120882_thumb.jpg

I lost nearly all of my poppers. But not all the monsters, some to not checking knots and gear from day before, some of it my relative "newbie" status, but some where definitely to monsters.

Having 50m runs on an 18k stella, with 130lb braid that you can't pull off the spool even with gloves on.... kinda scary!

Ah technology strike again.

9 x lures at average $60 bucks each with hooks.

So many people would love to do a trip like that but money & time kills it for them. I'm one of those people and fact that my arms are at least half the size of yours :lol:

I should get in training and get a heavier pen to see if that makes any difference. :silly:

Well done again, good to see you doing it while you can. ;)

Wayne it's left me in a pretty bad state.

I knew I was coming home to no job, but I had some good leads. I didn't intend on ending up crook and on IV anti biotics for 6 weeks and in hospital for one when I got back. Lesson learnt: Clean coral cuts!

The money I spent on this trip, to me, was worth every cent.

All is well, I've got work lined up for when I get this PICC line taken out of my arm.

Awesome trip mate. Insane fish action there. I still have a slight weeping sore that won't heal two months after going to Kiritimati. Those coral cuts and tropical islands are festy bloody places.

Just make sure you bomb the crap out of those bugs in your body mate.

Awesome trip mate. Insane fish action there. I still have a slight weeping sore that won't heal two months after going to Kiritimati. Those coral cuts and tropical islands are festy bloody places.

Just make sure you bomb the crap out of those bugs in your body mate.

I just got my PICC line out today but I am on oral antibiotics for another month.

Two of the fly fishermen, Andrew Martin and Richard Morton, have written in depth reports on the fly fishing front in various places if you're interested mate...

Andrew's I think is on a fly fishing forum or maybe magazine I don't know. But Richard has his own blog http://www.flyfishingnation.de/blog/2015/07/long-lost-kanton-trip-report/ and is a great photographer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived