Madmic's Fish Of The Month Competition: July 2016

Angus

FOTM Entries - July 2016

The Fish Of The Month for July is: Snapper (Pagrus auratus or Chrysophrys auratus)

1.jpg

How to submit Entries:- Entries must be received by 8pm on the last day of each month. Entries must be in the format shown below (a good idea would be to copy and paste and then fill out for your catch).

Angler:

Species:

Where Caught: (location eg Bretts Wharf or Indooroopilly Bridge etc)

When:

Size: Length (overall) (please note a clearly discernible measuring device must be evident). 

Weight: if possible

Photo: Attach photo by browsing and finding the photo/s and then when finished writing your entry hit submit and the image will automatically be included.

Unique Item: A number that can be shown on a written card, display of fingers etc:

The Unique Number for this competition is 

Caption/Catch Report: (In the interest of fostering knowledge any little tid bits may be appreciated by the readers)

Bragging Rights: Bragging rights will be available to a potential 3 anglers... 

1. Largest Snapper Caught On Bait

2. Largest Snapper Caught On Lure

3. Largest Snapper Caught Land Based

**Please provide photos showing whole fish and angler with fish** .

Please ensure your measure photo is clear and accurate as it could easily be decided by mm's!

Good luck!

AFO

Please review details there are some subtle changes. The whole competition will take place in this thread. Feel free to converse freely about snapper fishing in general etc. Imagine these threads as a library resource full of interesting stuff to refer to in the future. 

Significant changes: Catch Report, whom can claim bragging rights, the "number" for the picture and the addition of banter in this thread (instead of just being entries only).

I will endeavor to get this post up each month a couple of days early and release "Number" on the day it kicks off but be patient with me I am not always able to access computer etc on a whim.

Incidentally and interestingly while I was at Stradbroke I was informed that the week before I was there local anglers were bagging out each day off the rocks (land based) on 80-90cm snapper. I only saw one caught when I was there that was legal and I caught a 32cm one. I did get totally monstered by something that "could" have been but we will never know. This comes in tandem with that video of my mate seeing the spawning snapper at Amity. Does this suggest a truly awesome snapper year? Or just a sequence of recorded events I have not been privy to previously.

Good luck

Angus

Great stuff Angus. Not sure how much fishing I will get done this month as I will be spending most of my free time rebuilding my big old shed. But I do have a romantic long weekend planned on Straddie for my wedding anniversary in the middle of the month, so the talk of snapper off the rocks has got me interested. Might have to do a bit of rock hopping between the chocolate and champagne sessions. :whistle:

15 hours ago, tugger said:

This was always good for forum activity i will have to give it a crack but i haven't caught a good sized snapper in a long time going to love the challange

You poor fella. I havent caught a decent size snapper full stop :61_sob: :baby:

Hopefully this changes and I take out the FOTM with a 90cm bay knobby :queen:

Angler- Shane 

Species- Snapper

Area Caught- Offshore Straddie-60m line 

When- Sunday 4th July 

Size- 92cm 

Weight- 7.8kg 

Caught on bait

Trip Report-

With the awesome weather forecast for the Sunday i decided to head out off Straddie to fish an isolated rock i found a couple of trips ago. I tripped over this spot going to another area. The first time i fished it, we pulled a couple of squire, jewies and kingies during the day. With the amount of bait hanging off it, i had a feeling it would be a good stomping ground for knobbies. 

I headed out at mid night out of south passage bar and made my way to the grounds. With the small Southerly swell, the bar was flat. Still very daunting crossing it at night in pitch black. 

Fishing started off very slow but i knew it would be the case. We decided to anchor up for a bit and wait it out till sunrise. 

The tides, moonrise and sunrise were perfect so i knew we were going to have a good bite in the morning. The fish started chewing around 5am. By now the current was quite strong and fishing on anchor was abit difficult. We presisted until we dragged off the rock. On sunrise we caught 4 good jewies with the biggest hitting the scakes at 22kg.

I decided to pull the anchor and do long drifts to find the snapper feeding on the bait. First couple of drifts it was quite and by now it was blowing solid 15 knots. I started doubting myself about getting off anchor but i knew if i wasted anymore time trying to get right on the spot i will miss the bite or shut the fish off.

I decided to do a long drift along the rock knowing the fish would be feeding on the sand. I marked a few solid fish on the sounder in between drifts too. 

At around 6.30, the fishing heated up,  I was first too hook up my knobbie. With around 200m line floating out, the initial hit nearly ripped the rod out of hand. I knew it was a solid fish so took my time. Fishing 30lb, there were a few tense moments when the fish decided to run mid fight. After a few minutes we finally landed it. A cracker knobbie. Biggest i have caught for the year yet. It was a long fish with a nice bubble nose. It was caught on a fresh slab of mullet.

The next drift it was my mates turn, he hooked a good fish bouncing along the bottom with a whole cuttlefish. After a good fight we had our second knobbie at 88cm in the boat. A PB for him which he was stroked about. 

The next drift i got a 76cm on a fresh yakka. The bite shut down by 7.30. 

With the sun getting up and boats starting to drive past in a distance,  i decided to leave the spot before it got pinged. 

I decided to hit a few deeper marks through the morning and completed my bag of snapper. Also got a few cracker pearlies to top it off.

Around mid day i decided to call it a day and head back. By now the seas had settled down and it was a total glass out.

All up it was a great trip with a few trophey fish coming onboard. Its a great feeling when everything lines up perfectly and the fish play the game. 

Shane

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Angler: Sam Steele 

Species: snapper

Where Caught: moreton bay

When: 5/7/16

Size: 73.5cm 

Weight: dunno

Caught on lure

PhotoIMG_20160705_171932.jpg

DSC_0546.JPG

Catch Report: 

I took a day off work yesterday to hopefully improve on my donut session over the weekend. The conditions looked perfect; no wind although it was forecast, a bit of rain, and good tides. Due to the weather it meant there was literally nobody else out there! Launching in pouring rain is never nice though. DSC_0534.JPG

We launched at pinkenba and fished the mouth for a bit for a few bream, squire, tailor, trevally with me equalling my bream pb twice on surface lures. 

DSC_0535.JPG

Due to the bay being so flat when it wasn't meant to be we headed out and drifted around some bait and fish we found on the sounder. About half an hour later flicking plastics for nothing, I put the rod in the holder to have a drink break. As soon as I did that my deadsticked plastic got smashed! I knew it was a decent fish straight away and got so excited to see red…. And I did. My mate missed the first net shot but got the next one thankfully. 73.5cm of Moreton Bay snapper which I'm happy about for my first! I didn't have the heart to kill it, so back it went to probably get necked by the next bloke who catches it.

We headed back to the river and picked up a couple more squire, with this one going 43cm that would have beaten my previous pb of 5cm haha. I kept this one for dinner.DSC_0548.JPG

We changed spots and started catching fish every cast. Nothing big, but still a lot of fun. Ended up catching well over 50 fish for the day so it was a session to remember!

DSC_0537.JPG

Some solid fish so far stonkers from Shane and a solid PB for Sam this is a good start for July I have yet to get a chance with work busy but if the weather comes good I will have a crack soon as after reading these reports I am itching to get out

• 2 weeks later...

@Angus what is Augusts target fish? I'm proud as punch to submit my first ever snapper (not caught on a charter boat) from Moreton Bay in my new boat!! (which is actually quite old).All 29cm of it. This comp actually encouraged me to target them and it'll be happening alot more from now on :)

I think the  winner is obvious ;) 

fishy.PNG

Tim

Congrats to the winners!!!

Shane69 Biggest Snapper On Bait

samsteele115 Biggest Snapper On Lure

Some more exciting news!

The winners will be the first winners of the new Madmic's Fish Of The Month Competition.

New site member Madmic has an online tackle store and will be donating a lure to the winners of each months competition.

You can check out the store here: http://www.madmicsfishingtackle.com.au/

Each month Mic will contact the winners with a code they can use in the online store for a lure of their choice!

Well done Shane and Sam and welcome aboard Mic!

Angus

Hi guys and thank you all,

A big Congratulations to this months winners of the Snapper round, well done @samsteele115 and @Shane69. I will contact you both very soon by PM with your code to claim your prize. Special mention to @timtam_ with his first Snapper out of the new boat, well done mate.

A big thanks to @Angus for giving me the go ahead to sponsor the comp and especially for giving the comp the Name Madmic's Fish of the month.

Really looking forward to seeing the entries for the Mackerel round this month. Hope everyone has a go and we see plenty of entries this month too.

Best of luck to all and Happy Fishing

Madmic

Archived