Blakesley's Social Weekend Febuary 24th To 26th

tugger

I will decide friday night if I go ahead with this trip. Starting to get sick of taking a small boat out in ultra shite weather, nearly broke my back last time. So see how it goes and hopefully the weather plays nice. Wont go out in too much stronger than 10-13 knots (will be a good 40-60km trip to where the tuna are playing around atm so dont wanna bash around for too long) ;) 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, samsteele115 said:

I will decide friday night if I go ahead with this trip. Starting to get sick of taking a small boat out in ultra shite weather, nearly broke my back last time. So see how it goes and hopefully the weather plays nice. Wont go out in too much stronger than 10-13 knots (will be a good 40-60km trip to where the tuna are playing around atm so dont wanna bash around for too long) ;) 

Just come chase some flatties if the weather is shite...

Oh well, can't help the weather, I'm cool with the BBQ and tarp idea, I've camped in far worse conditions and is all just part of the experience.

So I won't bother with the whole chook then, and will go back to my original plan of a potato salad. I also have half a tri-tip which I'll marinate and bring over for anyone that wants to try. They go well on the barbie. I can also do a whole loaf of bread.

And I won't bother with the firewood either, but how are we for gas bottles? I was going to bring my big crab cooking pot anyhow, so might bring a burner and an 8.5kg anyway. 

Yeah I mean if its safe for me to cross the bay and not ridiculously shite weather I will defs come over for saturday night activities, just rule it out as a fishing weekend I guess. I'll play it by ear. Is there anything left that needs providing that I could bring?

Flatties would be awesome @Angus even landbased. Fingers crossed.

Sounds good @Tybo

.Mark has a big bbq and large gas bottle for it but definitely bring your gear as well, especially for cooking crabs.

If you guys get enough crabs, maybe a crab entree would be good.

There is tons of prawns being caught down around the islands too if anyone wants to throw a new for a while.

1 minute ago, samsteele115 said:

Yeah I mean if its safe for me to cross the bay and not ridiculously shite weather I will defs come over for saturday night activities, just rule it out as a fishing weekend I guess. I'll play it by ear. Is there anything left that needs providing that I could bring?

Flatties would be awesome @Angus even landbased. Fingers crossed.

Southerly winds leave heaps of pin flathead options.

2 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

There is tons of prawns being caught down around the islands too if anyone wants to throw a new for a while.

@Drop Bear and I are planning on heading down to Macleay Island at some stage to chase prawns. He's just bought a new net specifically for it. Hopefully they're not too difficult and we can all enjoy a feed of prawns on Saturday night. Fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, Tybo said:

I have a BabyQ, give us a yell if you need it.

Definitely bring it please Tybo and I will let Mark know to bring his puddings

The boys are getting their limits in prawns down there right now very easily.

There is prawns everywhere at all the usual haunts in really good numbers and size.

3 minutes ago, Tybo said:

@Drop Bear and I are planning on heading down to Macleay Island at some stage to chase prawns. He's just bought a new net specifically for it. Hopefully they're not too difficult and we can all enjoy a feed of prawns on Saturday night. Fingers crossed.

I close mate of mine just nabbed his limit from beneath the powerlines in 15m of water out from the Green Beacon.  

9 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Yeah na you're right, I'm a sook at the best of times :lol:

I remember last February, you and @Luvit crossed Hervey Bay in some of the worst conditions I've ever seen up there, and ended up with some cracker goldens. We weren't even game to leave the harbour and ended up with a miserable trip up the Burrum.

You'll be right mate, come across. If the weather is really shite, I'll probably anchor the boat and work the banks for flathead and whiting. I'm even bringing the yabby pump in case things get real desperate.

4 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Definitely bring it please Tybo and I will let Mark know to bring his puddings

The boys are getting their limits in prawns down there right now very easily.

There is prawns everywhere at all the usual haunts in really good numbers and size.

Okay, then consider it packed.

Yep and @timtam_, I've seen some great reports of the southern bay prawns. Even saw a picture of a guy yesterday that got his 10L limit in on cast!

I am still heading offshore Saturday morning through spb looking at the weather report it will be alright all morning then head back to camp around lunch time I will be stying close to the headland at point lookout where I know I will get a good run out and back along the northern beach of stradie

6 hours ago, tugger said:

I am still heading offshore Saturday morning through spb looking at the weather report it will be alright all morning then head back to camp around lunch time.

That means two things for the unitiated ............

1. Don't bring too many snags as we'll be feasting on fresh spanish mackerel and moses perch ...... ;)

2. If the weather forces Mark back to camp around lunch time he'll be 'rocking and rolling' by sunset ........ :whistle: 

Just caught up on the latest regarding logistics. I'll bring 24 bread rolls, possibly a tub of coleslaw and probably some chocolate brownies (hopefully I can twist my wife's arm to make them, otherwise I will Fri night if I have time ..). 

I'll more than likely head south and chase flatties, prawns (only have a smaller net so going to prove to myself that it will be insufficient and then upgrade to a 12ft top pocket) and crabs. If I remember I'll bring a wok/fry pan that can be used on top of the bbq plate to cook garlic prawns (will make up a butter/garlic/chilli mix in a tub and bring it over).

Will hopefully be over there around 9am Sat. Will text the smaller boaties to find out where you all are.

@timtam_ my brother now can't make it due to a footy trial so I have a spare spot in my 14ft tinny if you're interested. Will be hopefully leaving Vic Pt ramp on Sat morning around 8:30am and coming back after lunch Sunday. Let me know.

A few of us are heading over early tomorrow morning(Friday) to set up camp and kick back so if your looking for our camp there will be a day camp with a tarp over just back from the 1st of the tree line with a couple of tables and a large black bbq. I know Tybo was asking how will he know which camp I don't expect to many campers other than ourselves but if my boat is not fishing look for a 5.4m white cuddy cab tinnie with a maron bimini, I will be heading off from camp about 5am on saturday to go fishing offshore and be back around lunch time there abouts.

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I had no luck with Daves one. He has a 6 week waiting list. So I'm getting one from Tackle warehouse. 

Spewin'. By his Facebook page he seems very popular, so I'm not surprised. I have three nets, so I can bring my smaller one and you can throw my big net if you want Robbie, I don't mind. Either way, it sounds like no one will be left short.

1 hour ago, tugger said:

A few of us are heading over early tomorrow morning(Friday) to set up camp and kick back so if your looking for our camp there will be a day camp with a tarp over just back from the 1st of the tree line with a couple of tables and a large black bbq. I know Tybo was asking how will he know which camp I don't expect to many campers other than ourselves but if my boat is not fishing look for a 5.4m white cuddy cab tinnie with a maron bimini, I will be heading off from camp about 5am on saturday to go fishing offshore and be back around lunch time there abouts.

I'm not expecting to get over there 'till about 6am, so will probably miss you, but doesn't matter. I will just look for the large black BBQ, drop off my stuff, and then head back out again. I'll mark it as mine, so if you could just set it all up for me so it's all done for when I get back, that'd be great. ;) 

Just so I can get a bearing, will it be the northern, southern or centre part of Blakesley's?

Also does everyone else have a VHF channel they use?

1 hour ago, tugger said:

Hopefully see you guys Friday night, I'm going fishing friday arvo and will head over after that. 

9 hours ago, Angus said:

I can lend you one...

http://castnethq.com.au/Top-Pocket-Prawn-Cast-Nets/Top-Pocket-Prawn-Cast-Net-Chain-Bottom-TPN10

This guy was pretty good. Got a 10foot chain top pocket for $125. He gave me some tips and it looks like a really good net.... Although if it was a really crappy net I probably couldn't tell anyhow.... :)

1 hour ago, rayke1938 said:

I have a few nets if anyone wants to pick up from redland bay on friday.

Mate that is very generous. Seeing that I still have @Angus's Yabby pump from about a year ago.... I'm probably the wrong guy to lend one to. Also I would be sure to throw it straight at the oysters and rip it into bits... so I bought my own. :)

But thanks all the same. 

Archived