2017 Seq Suburbs Of Origin!

The Mad Hughesy

SEQ Suburbs of Origin!

The great battle is back again in 2017! Last year poor old Team North was dusted up by the South...can they turn it around in 2017? Remember folks, no entry fees, no prizes...just the glory of the win!

To keep it plain and simple, if you live North of the Brisbane river, you are a north sider (Team North)

If you live South of the Brisbane river, you’re a south sider (Team South)

It’s not about where you were born, just about where you live now

To somewhat mimic the NRL State of origin, we hold this over three weekends, with each weekend being considered one “game” in a three game series. Five categories each weekend (bream, flathead, bass, tailor and snapper) Why these five species? Because regardless of how (boat, kayak or land) or where you fish, you will be able to target these species. To win the weekend in any one species, an angler from either Team North or Team South must catch the longest of that species for the weekend. To win the weekend, one team (North or South) must take out three of the five species for the weekend. Once the next weekend (or game) rolls around, the slate is cleaned.

For example, if the Team South have the longest bream, flatty and longest bass for one weekend, but Team North have the longest snapper and tailor…then Team South win for that weekend. Hope that makes sense

To keep it fair, the night before the weekend of fishing, a unique symbol will be released that must be pictured with the catch along with your team name (North or South) submissions can just be made online in the topic that I will create for each weekend of fishing. Each time a new longest species is caught, I will update the original post to let everyone know what Team is in front. The unique symbol will be as easy as writing or drawing on a piece of paper (or a hand signal), which can be easily placed next to the fish. Fish where you want, just because you’re a Team North member doesn’t mean that you have to fish North of the Brisbane river and vice versa. All comp submissions must be loaded into the rounds topic (a new topic will be created for each round) by 8pm on the final day of the round!

And of course, to win the series and have your team crowned the SEQ Suburbs of Origin CHAMPIONS, you must win 2 of the three weekends. Then maybe afterwards we can all get together and have a big feed or something along those lines.

The more anglers involved the better! This comp isn’t designed to push us against each other, but to just get some friendly banter going amongst this awesome community that we have going here on AFO.

Who is keen? We can decide on what weekend suit most people best etc if there is enough interest in this. The beauty of having this spread out over three different weekends, is that if you are unable to fish one weekend, then you have two more weekends that you can fish on, so no complaining about not being able to enter! If anyone is keen, shoot me a message or reply in this topic as to what team you are fishing for and I will update the below list.

OFFICIAL DATES

Round One : 26th-28th of May (tentative)

Round Two : TBC

Round Three : TBC

Team North                                                                                    Team South

@christophagus                                                                             @Angus

@Luvit                                                                                            @Do$tylz

@Tybo                                                                                            @Old Scaley

@timtam_                                                                                      @kmcrosby78

@Doyley                                                                                         @Drop Bear

@Terrova                                                                                       @Danny91

@Dinodadog                                                                                  @demarc

@Luke Landrunner                                                                        @ellicat

@Binder                                                                                         @benno573

@Fishaman

just like last year...the dates can be moved to suit the majority...so im open to suggestions

also, the species list is open to change but just remember, the idea is that this comp is open to land based, kayak and boat based. So if you offshore blokes want a pelagic species added, let me know! CMON TEAM NORTH!

Team south please... It does say you can fish wherever you want but im not sure how many FIJI Bass, Bream, Snapper, Whiting or Flathead there are haha. Also is it line fishing only? Some locals are going to take me night spear fishing so I thought that should count... 

Joking! 

Or am I...

Yes just joking...

Or am I!

:whistle:

16 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Team south please... It does say you can fish wherever you want but im not sure how many FIJI Bass, Bream, Snapper, Whiting or Flathead there are haha. Also is it line fishing only? Some locals are going to take me night spear fishing so I thought that should count... :whistle:

Nothing in the rules about line fishing only Rob, nor anything about specific scientific species so go out and spear some huge Fiji Bass, Fiji Bream, etc ....... ;)

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

@TeamNorthside - by the look of your list your going to need a few more ........... (based on last year's dismal performance ......). :whistle:

10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish. We just need the 10% to live on the side of goodness and niceness, otherwise known as the Northside. 

11 hours ago, josha293 said:

Unfortunately i work weekends but i will be cheering on the north siders 

Such a shame (given ALL of the photos you've put up recently with rather LARGE fish .......) :whistle:  Hmmmm, I'll guess we'll need to organise a cheerleader for our team too ......... :devil:   (haven't met you yet so hopefully you take my gibes in good humour :)).

9 minutes ago, josha293 said:

Would really like to participate in one of these events but always working weekends.

@christophagus - when do you normally put the unique item up (ie. what days can we fish)? Putting it up Thursday night would give some the option of fishing Friday (have a feeling you did last year?). Of course I'll kick myself for asking if it means @josha293 gets out and brains them ....... :no:

8 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

@christophagus - when do you normally put the unique item up (ie. what days can we fish)? Putting it up Thursday night would give some the option of fishing Friday (have a feeling you did last year?). Of course I'll kick myself for asking if it means @josha293 gets out and brains them ....... :no:

The only days i get off is tuesdsy morning, all day Wednesday and all day Thursday. Most of the time i miss out on these type of things unless its a photo comp where they run for a few weeks. Im sure i will have a weekend off one day where i can come a meet a few of the members

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

from memory, last year i put it up on a Thursday night at about 7pm. Given folks the chance to fish on the Thursday night and all of Friday. i don't have a problem with extending it to putting the unique item up on a Wednesday night so people can fish all of Thursday as well..? the more people involved, the better the event gets

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

sounds like everyone is all for it, the unique item will be released on the Wednesday night.

edit: i just realised ill be overseas for the first event. ill setup the event topic before i leave but ill need someone to put up the unique item on the Wednesday night...  any volunteers?

Tuesday night release of unique item for Wednesday to Sunday fishing.:whistle:

And thanks for organising @christophagus

I'll put my hand up. 

Seeing as though @kmcrosby78 has briefly stopped smack talking, I'll pick it up.

so @ellicat and I will sort the flathead, tailor and maybe bream categories while on moreton, potentially have a crack at a snapper as well. @rayke1938 will sort the bass category. If we fail on the bream @Do$tylz and @Angus will pick up the slack.

And we have all the other south side gun anglers (who I haven't yet fished with) to back up the back ups and then back them up as well... 

and there we have a complete south side sweep sorted! :P

Archived