2 Bass & a Flathead

Cowfish13

As some of you would know, we went to a wedding this weekend at Midginbill Country retreat. This place apparently had two stocked dams with Yellowbelly and Silvers, but we couldn’t find them:ohmy: :huh: . So this morning after breakfast Dad dropped us off at Clarrie Hall Dam for a quick fish for Bass. It is a very picturesque dam and would probably be at 100%.

We tried G-vibes, spinnerbaits and poppers but we couldn’t tempt a bite. So then Jack (mack_attack) thought that because he could see heaps of little bait fish around, he should tie on his Strike Pro Pygmy (that he got from me:angry: ). He quickly managed a 28cm Bass from the edge of the lilies. After a few pictures he was sent on his way. He was a very solid fish and fought pretty well.

Nothing for a while, so we walked back to the boat ramp (which isn’t very long) and Jack put a cast over the ramp (from the jetty) and a greedy 15-17cm Bass smashed it. Then our parents came and we had to leave:( . We were only there for about 1.5-2hrs and we managed 2 Bass which is awesome for us.

On the way home, we were allowed to stop off at the Tweed River around Scottie Island. I missed a strike from either a big Black Bream, small Mangrove Jack or a Bass because it is still a bit brackish there. I then tied on a lightly weighted SP and missed a strike from a Bream first cast. Then I managed a 43cm Flathead 4th cast. Jack then tied on a SP and dropped a Flounder at the bank. It was a very clean creek and even with only 1hr and no local knowledge we still managed 3 strikes and a Flathead. However, it was a milky green/blue colour.

All in all it was a great weekend. However, it rained constantly and every creek was flowing. I apologise for the amount of “green†in the photos:laugh: :laugh: .

Thanks for reading

It looks like an awesome dam for fishing. I would reccomend it for a AFO day or something like that. I think it is electric only tho, I didn't see any petrol motors. Also we saw 3-4 trailors at the ramp, but the only time we saw anyone was when they were coming back. So it must be a big dam.

Also, if we can catch Bass there, anyone can (except me I guess:D:(). We havn't caught any Bass at NP after 4 trips, but that was our first trip there ever and in less than 2hrs we caught 2 fish.

Yeah Clarrie hall has been in my thoughts on occassion, supposed to be good camping down that way to. Just never got motivated enough to look up exactly where it is. Maybe this winter for some Bass. But I think it is stocked with something else I was interested in but cant remember. Probably cod or toga.

I used a spinnerbait for about an hour with no touches.

Funny thing was that Jacks River2Sea Bubblepop 35 didn't float:D. The one he bought came without the feather tail. Poppers probably would have worked well, but I didn't think of taking mine out after that. I'm an idiot.

The first fish came from a spot that had a little bit of surface action 10mins earlier.

fished at a comp at clarrie hall couple of months ago it is a reasonable sized dam and it is full of bass but there isnt big fish in there. dont think you are aloud to camp there. In that comp we got 24 fish and came 2nd. and as for lures spinnerbaits dont work very well but jackalls and poppers do.

Cowfish13 wrote:

As some of you would know, we went to a wedding this weekend at Midginbill Country retreat. This place apparently had two stocked dams with Yellowbelly and Silvers, but we couldn’t find them:ohmy: :huh: .

Good report Cowfish13. Disappointing about the place you stayed at - I was keen on a positive report.

You couldn't find the dams or the fish ?

Archived