Bait Tank Plumbing

Old Scaley

Hi all

Bit the bullet and had a live bait tank welded into the tinny. Plumbed and wired it up myself. Took it for a test run today. Works a treat, but I have a minor design flaw. I put a non return valve in the inlet pipe so it didn’t drain when I turn the pump off but off course that means I have no easy way of draining it at the end of the day. I know I could replace the non return valve wth an in-line turncock but then I would have to remember to turn the tap off when I shut the pump down to move. Any ideas? Some poor low light photos might give you the gist of what it looks like.  Thanks in advance, Steve.

7B48B15C-1CF4-4943-A528-229141EAA902.jpeg

BA647713-B74F-4C5D-B693-82B29D5A0268.jpeg

9893D047-8021-4BCD-B730-583F7D4F3112.jpeg

B330FB3E-CB7D-49C0-A8C0-52339FA01FD3.jpeg

616749A4-DE82-454A-9ABB-055F677F85D4.jpeg

If possible the best place to put would be in the bottom of the tank and use a right angle skin fitting. Usually one of the corners holds the last bit of water so placing it in that corner will help keep it dry and smell free.  If you go straight into the side the tank it will not fully drain and always have some smelly water in it. Then run a hose out to the transome below tanks lowest water level. A live bait tank can be so handy especially if you don't carry ice. Keeps your catch of Flathead etc alive till you get home. 

Steve, good to see your on the way to the answer of your post`s question, when I looked at the first photo I noticed on the left a bullfloat and concrete shovel, they sent me into flashbacks and on the edge of PTSD just thinking about concrete  lay and finishing :lol:

19 hours ago, Gad said:

Steve, good to see your on the way to the answer of your post`s question, when I looked at the first photo I noticed on the left a bullfloat and concrete shovel, they sent me into flashbacks and on the edge of PTSD just thinking about concrete  lay and finishing :lol:

Have done a bit of that in the distant past @Gad but wouldn’t be up to it now. I will be putting both those tools to good use today to spread 3 cubic metres of topsoil in between rain showers (and beers). Will take another look at the bait tank tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

......I will be putting both those tools to good use today to spread 3 cubic metres of topsoil in between rain showers (and beers).......

with forecasts of 10-22mm of rain/showers for today, good luck with your plan ( but stick with the beers no matter what happens :)), nothing worse than trying to level out wet soil on a wet day.

These day`s where Manual Labour is concerned, I look on it as if he is a Spanish soccer player and therefore have no interest in it what so ever :lol:

On 16/11/2017 at 8:12 AM, Luvit said:

If possible the best place to put would be in the bottom of the tank and use a right angle skin fitting. Usually one of the corners holds the last bit of water so placing it in that corner will help keep it dry and smell free.  If you go straight into the side the tank it will not fully drain and always have some smelly water in it. Then run a hose out to the transome below tanks lowest water level. A live bait tank can be so handy especially if you don't carry ice. Keeps your catch of Flathead etc alive till you get home. 

Picked up a right angle skin fitting today.  Do you think I can use a 20mm spade bit to put the hole in the bottom of the tank? Or should I just use a small drill bit and make a heap of small holes? Not as neat and probably more likely to leak.

1 minute ago, Old Scaley said:

Picked up a right angle skin fitting today.  Do you think I can use a 20mm spade bit to put the hole in the bottom of the tank? Or should I just use a small drill bit and make a heap of small holes? Not as neat and probably more likely to leak.

Spade bit or hole saw or series of small ones and a round file to tidy it up.  Just more work using the small drill bit. If the hole is the right size leaking shouldn't be a problem which ever method you use. 

19 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Do you think I can use a 20mm spade bit to put the hole in the bottom of the tank?

I have never used a spade bit on aluminium but I cant see why it wouldn't work? It will be noisy and rattly. I dont like to do the small bit and file thing. Dunno why but it feels messy.

Problem solved. Bought a right angle skin fitting. Also bought a budget metal hole saw kit which did a nice neat hole. Silicone on both sides so hopefully will be nice and water tight.  Had some spare hose and a tap so just dropped it over the transom.  The skin fitting sits a little proud of the bottom of the tank so I will need to flush with clean water when I am cleaning the boat.

Thanks everyone for your input.

1211BA9D-A94E-4EAF-8809-61631D79D4F7.jpeg

3C046D2A-000E-4997-B755-4884046F5A61.jpeg

58BC1353-A20D-42A7-9443-36620609A7F5.jpeg

Archived