Bay Snapper Session

Cobiaaddict

Hi all,

Headed out late yesterday arvo to have a crack on some shallow water bay snapper. Being early in the season and water temps being a lot higher than normal my hopes where not that high. Plus i had my tides mixed up thinking that i was going to be fishing the last of the run out - i was actually fishing the last of the run in :no:

Anyway. Rocked up on this ledge with a bit of structure and anchored up ready to deploy a few snapper lollies. Well it was very quiet. Few snapper runs , few 40-45cm squire,  1 absolute smoking and a nice 3-4kg cod which grabed a live yakka.

Not the results i was looking for but thats fishing. And its better than sitting at home watching the grass grow.

No fish pics this time but i got a sounder shot of this nice little ledge that will hopefully bring some joy this winter

Cheers

Josh <><

20180509_174740.jpg

14 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, I'd be pretty happy to find a ledge like that on my sounder, good luck on your next trip there, oh and nice work on the cod and squire :) 

@kmcrosby78   thanks mate.  Only kept the cod. We let the squire go to grow  big :frantics:. I love spending time searching for new spots . Use your contour lines on your gps and watch your sounder. Get urself the navionics app on your phone and use that also . I find doing zig zag patterns and figure 8's while searching is most affective.  It can be quite costly on fuel and time. But it can pay off and be really rewarding with trophy fish. 

17 minutes ago, tugger said:

Nice screen shot bring on cooler water and snapper season

thanks @tugger. It had some pretty text books shows of snapper stacked up on the high side of the ledge trying to spawn. So im gathering it wont be long now til the big fish start to show up in numbers and we have some great fishing session there. This weekend may bring some quality fish in the bay to start breeding.  Cant wait til we get a week of mornings below 10degrees:drooling:

5 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Good advice Josh - might spend some time trolling some lures and building up a collection of marks :) 

That works aswell mate. Normally trolling offshore for palegics in summer is agood way to find new ground.  I tend to go in the bay looking when the weather is not so great as you get less boat traffic.

19 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

@kmcrosby78   thanks mate.  Only kept the cod. We let the squire go to grow  big :frantics:. I love spending time searching for new spots . Use your contour lines on your gps and watch your sounder. Get urself the navionics app on your phone and use that also . I find doing zig zag patterns and figure 8's while searching is most affective.  It can be quite costly on fuel and time. But it can pay off and be really rewarding with trophy fish. 

Pro tip -  thanks.

Archived